Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Super Album 2: Family Reunion?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2000, 21:33

I've seen the forum where all of you are debating what would be the most super idea for an album, possibly with Mike collaborating with Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre.

Well, heres my ten cents worth of fanwank.

Ithink that Mike Oldfield is a very talented musical dude indeed (hey, would I be writing for these forums if I didn't?!!)

Terry Oldfield is also a very talented musical dude, some of his long instrumentals are just as good as Mike's (like "Ancestral Futures" from "Spirit Of Africa", abso-f#$king-lutely brilliant).

I have not heard much of Sally Oldfield's work, but what i have heard is abso-f#$king-lutely briliant ("Mirrors" what a song! what avoice!)

So I think it would be great if these three reunited and worked on an album together.

An album with all of the Oldfield Clan pooling their disparate talents together into one glorious whole could be abso-f#$king-lutely brilliant.

My dream:
A "Islands" style album: one long instrumental by the two Oldfield brothers, folowed by a bunch of songs sung by Sally with the other Oldfield lads lending support.

Now that would be cool wouldn't it?

Much better than a Mike/Vangelis/Jarre/Kraftwerk team up.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2000, 03:50

Yep, I think it's a good idea. But is it realistic ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
MrShame Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2000, 11:33

Everye Mike Oldfield fan MUST listen to Sally's album "Water Bearer" it's absolutely briliant! The First song is a long piece with several themes. One of them has the well known African drums on then (as heard on Ommadawn). Her voice is also great. Mike and Sally together can make the best album heard for a long time!

MrShame
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2000, 12:07

Mike and Sally DID make an album together in 1968 as The Sallyangie. It was called Children of the Sun and is basically a folk album. I guess most of you already knew that anyway, but I just thought I'd remind you in case anyone has forgotten. Besides, I guess we would all prefer an album which uses Mike's distinctive style - COTS isn't exactly that - combined with Sally's voice.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 10:18

I've once read MO say that 'most of the New Age music is quite repetitive and boring'. Isn't that just the case with Terry's stuff (I only know 'Spirit of the Rainforest', though)?
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 04:51

Well, I haven't heard much of "Spirit Of The Rainforest". However his "Spirit Of Africa" album is an entirely different, it has a variety of different styles and moods running through it. Also Terry's flute playing is much more prominent, and T. Oldfield is a very talented flautist IMHO. Witness his contributions on some of Mikes earlier work...

Incidentally, I also heard Mike in an interview say that he "like my brother and sisters records"...

Also, repition is a technique that mike himself has used quite often. Parts of "Incantations" (Hiawatha, Hymn To Diana), "Platinum" (Platinum Part 2: Platinum, Woodhenge), "Hergest Ridge" (the thunderstorm sequence) and "The Killing Fields" (Evacuation, The Year Zero, Worksite) are EXTREMELY repetitive (although not boring I might add).

Some of Terry's work is quite similar in style to Mike's earlier work in fact...
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 20:18

Does anyone know whether the flute at the beginning of Incantations is played by Terry or by Sebastian Bell? (And who is SB?) Being a flautist myself, I know this piece is really difficult. If Terry played that, I'd say he is indeed an exceptional flautist.
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since Sep. 25 2000, 21:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net