Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Super album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 15:29

First of all: Mike Oldfield is great! Jean Michel Jarre is great! Vangelis is great! Kraftwerk is great!

Oke, if all these four artist make an album TOGETHER, wouldn't that be cool!!!????? biggrin

Like, they all made every song together and played it together. wink

Mike Oldfield: think about it Mike!! wink

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 21:37

I think it would be extra cool if they worked on a soundtrack together.

Think about it.

Mikey Boy's "The Killing Fields" and "The Space Movie" are cool soundtracks.

Vangelis's "Chariots Of Fire", "Blade Runner" and "1492" are cool soundtracks.

Kraftwerk and Jean Michel Jarre have not done any soundtracks to my knowledge, but their music is cool and Jean Michel is the son of legendary film composer Maurice Jarre ("Lawrence Of Arabia", "Doctor Zhivago" and "Gallipoli").

So if they all got together to score one film (say, Peter Jackson's forthcoming movie version of "Lord Of The Rings" is one I think any one of them could do wonders with)
then we could have one really super soundtrack album.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 20 2000, 09:16

Listen dudes, and listen well...

"Too many cooks spoil a broth.."

Is that not a saying that is all too true my Paduan learners?

Listen dudes, and listen well....

"For thou whost attempt to elevate a mere mortal far above the clouds to the heights of heaven, will only aid in their fall..."

Is that not a saying that is all too true my paduan learners?

This is why your "Super Album" will not happen, or if it did it would not work.

Here endeth the lesson.

Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 03:59

watcher-of-the-tower----> weirdo, shut up! wink

bennyboy--> Jean Michel Jarre did do a soundtrack for a french movie "Waiting for Cousteau", I think. smile
Also, have you seen the movie "Dead Poeit Society" (sorry for my english)?? Music from Maurice Jarre, just great!! smile

Well, then it's about time Kraftwerk did a soundtrack, together with Oldfield, Jarre and Vangelis. But I still think it should be a normal album with the artists wink.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 15:18

"Deat Poets' Society" is one of my favourites (movie as well as soundtrack). There's a bagpipe player standing on a foot-bridge in the lake at dusk in autumn. Very "Mikish"! - But Maurice Jarre and Mike together ... hmmm! <scratch cheek> Two strong personalities colliding ... In the Elements video Mike says that he has problems with collaborations, and all he can cope with is a "normal artist-producer relationship". But let's not stop dreaming. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 15:21

It's "Dead" of course - this is why I have so many posts wink

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 18:42

"Waiting for Cousteau" was not a movie. JMJ's record was just one of his sprawling music compositions...it was the longest one in the whole history of music...before Amarok came out!! wink smile

Yes, this album may well be something to dream about but I think it'll remain nothing but a dream...for two reasons:

1) Mike is definitely not the kind of guy who can compose ANYTHING with others. If this album will ever happen, it'll be a sort of compilation: MO does one track, then JMJ does another, then Vangelis does a very atmospheric piece, then Kraftwerk put in a bit of techno... something like that.

2) Kraftwerk do not match with the others. They're great, I agree, but their heavily technological style [and I mean "technological" in the most possibly positive meaning of that word!! smile] is too different from the other three artists.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 18:48

Oh, and by the way...they're all very far from each other in terms of actual present-day locations. Mike, AFAIK, is in England; Vangelis is in Greece; JMJ is sometimes in France and sometimes in New York; Kraftwerk are in Germany. So how do you connect all of 'em to compose and play together? Ordinary phone? GSM? UMTS? Internet? Midi? confused

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Wojtek Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2000, 07:57

Jean-Michelle Jarre music has been used in another film. I don't remember the title. It was about two australian (?) sport-runners, which had to fight in war. Most of melodies was taken from Oxygene.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 00:18

Originally posted by Wojtek:
Jean-Michelle Jarre music has been used in another film. I don't remember the title. It was about two australian (?) sport-runners, which had to fight in war. Most of melodies was taken from Oxygene.

Yo, the movie you speak of is called "Gallipoli" and the music was not by Jean Michel Jarre but by Maurice Jarre, Jean-Michel's dad.

Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 07:06

Sorry bennyboy, but your wrong about that.

From imdb.com:

Original music by
Brian May (I) (additional music)

Non-original music by
Tomaso Albinoni (from "Adagio in C")
Georges Bizet (from "Les pecheurs de perles")
Jean-Michel Jarre (from "Oxygene")

Brian May was the only one who actually wrote music FOR the film, and the only Jarre music used was by Jean-Michel.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 11:39

Ugo --> One thing, Vangelis lives in England. He was born in Greece. wink Also, Mike phoned Jon Anderson from England to middle America, so why can't he do it with Vangelis, JMJ and KW?? wink

Just a general meeting with eachother, take some pictures with them (when we see the pictures, we will die of joy seeing those marvellous artist together wink ) and maybe things will work out. smile

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 24 2000, 18:34

You could use ISDN to connect them all, or they could just send tapes/hard drives to each other. My question is more whether it would work or not...

Now, let me see...Mike Oldfield and Bert Jansch...that could be interesting. You could go for a celtic feel by bringing in Donal Lunny and Alan Stivell...or a slightly more off the wall feel by calling on Bob Brozman. Perhaps the styles of Mike and Bob would clash a bit...would make a great jam session at least though. John Paul Jones could make an interesting addition.
That mention of Brian May got me thinking as well...but no, I have a feeling him and Mike together wouldn't quite work. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth trying though wink

Let me be honest though...I can't really see Mike jumping into any collaborations like that. If he does...he'll be very much in control. I may be very wrong, though...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 24 2000, 19:22

I’d sooner have RICK WAKEMAN than Jarre or Vangelis any day. At least he knows how to rock!
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2000, 18:34

How about adding in Peter Gabriel, just for a laugh?

And hey...Rick Wakeman might work...Him and Bill Bailey did a version of Mike's arrangement of In dulci jubilo on TV once...funny if nothing else...
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2000, 10:59

Oh, yes add Peter Gabriel ! What a beautiful dream !
biggrin winkAnd who want to add Steve Hillage in this super-album ? hahaha wink biggrin

BTW, about Steve Hillage : He is now the producer of Rachid Taha, a french singer born in Alger (Capital of Algeria) who's singing in french, english, arab, and doing a mix of several style : algerian folksongs, voodoo, rai, rock, techno, pop... all in one... Quite funny...

Cheers,
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2000, 20:10

I thought I'd leave off mentioning him...thought Ugo might explode or something. But yeah, what the heck, we'll throw him into our cooking pot (although I think Steve's style might be at odds with mike's a bit...) and what the heck, while we're at it I'll grab a few instruments and join in (no, nothing is sacred to me...not even this 'super album'...besides, we can always junk that parts later wink ).
Profile PM 
16 replies since Sep. 19 2000, 15:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net