Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunset Door/Tattoo change of key, Only happening in Edimburgh performance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 19 2011, 22:08

I was recently listening to one of the many available recording of the Edinburgh TBII premiere (the actual audio of the concert, I mean, not the polished/adjusted version which was later released on the DVD) and I noticed something weird happening in the transition from "Sunset Door" to "Tattoo". On the album, the very final section of "Sunset Door" and the start of "Tattoo" are in the same key - namely D Major, although the ending of "Sunset Door" briefly slips into B minor. But on the Edinburgh show, the ending melody of "Sunset Door" (which of course also appears before within the second half of TBII) is played in E Major for the first half, and then it is suddenly dropped to E-flat Major for the transition to "Tattoo", all of which is played in E-flat Major (rather than D). Can anyone of you explain me why did this happen? Maybe E-flat Major is easier to play for the Scottish pipers featured in the Edinburgh show? Real pipers (from the New York Police Department, I think) were featured on the album as well, and they apparently didn't have any problems in playing the tune in D. Or maybe Mike (or Trevor Horn, or anyone else) actually recorded the track in E-flat Major and then dropped it down during the mix? This latter hypotesis sounds quite improbable to me as the track doesn't contain vocals - a vocal problem may justify a semitone drop, but why would it have been done here, on an entirely instrumental track? It's all a bit hazy to me. What do you all think? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
0 replies since Aug. 19 2011, 22:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net