Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunset and Sibelius, Plagiarism? Tribute?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rolandddo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2006, 06:13

Please, all of you:

Listen to "Sunset", and then, play the finale of second symphony, by Sibelius. You'll find an interesting thing.

This is a thing I told before on musicvr.com bulletin boards, but seems that Mike doesn't want to put it into the L+S credits.

Influence? Plagiarism?

What do you think?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2006, 14:49

Well, he already credited "Nearer My God To Thee" to himself on that album ('Closer' ), I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an uncredited citation. I'd be disappointed, though; 'Sunset' has the second best melody on the album (the first being the aforementioned 'Closer' ).

That melody was already used on MusicVR, though, wasn't it?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 16:30

I must confess that although I've been a fan of Sibelius's 5th symphony [sorry - I meant 2nd, not 5th - see below] for.... gosh, over 30 years ... I didn't spot the resemblance until it was pointed out to me (i.e. the post at mvr forum).

Has anyone actually done a note-for-note comparison? There is a short sequence of notes that I think is identical to Sibelius's, but my overall impression is one of resemblance, rather than copying. Still, it would be interesting to know how close they really are.

The other point I'd want to make, though, is this. What Mike does with 'Sunset' is utterly different to the way he treats the tune in Maestro. In Maestro it's exuberant, joyful, and I can't help smiling - almost laughing - with pleasure when I hear it. In 'Sunset' it's so delicate and poignant as to be effectively a completely different piece of music. And both are a million miles away from the 'feeling' of the Sibelius. I doubt if we'll ever know whether he consciously pinched the tune (I suspect he didn't), but it doesn't really bother me either way, because he remakes it into something completely new.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 17:54

Quote (Alan D @ June 21 2006, 21:30)
I must confess that although I've been a fan of Sibelius's 5th symphony for.... gosh, over 30 years ... I didn't spot the resemblance until it was pointed out to me (i.e. the post at mvr forum).

Could rolandddo be refering to the Second Symphony rather than the Fifth? Off the top of my head, yours sounds a bit more feasible though, Alan.

Unfortunately, I don't know the last movement of the second, or the L&S track in question to be able to comment. I roughly know the last movement of the fifth.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 03:56

Quote (Jammer @ June 21 2006, 22:54)
Could rolandddo be refering to the Second Symphony rather than the Fifth? Off the top of my head, yours sounds a bit more feasible though, Alan.

Oh sorry, my mistake. Of course he is. I intended to type '2nd' but didn't, for some reason. (I'm a long time fan of both 2 and 5 and they tend to hang together in my head, even though they're very different.)
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 21 2006, 06:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net