Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunset - the song, Should sunset have lyrics and a singer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 07:11

One of my favorite tracks from L&S is Sunset. While I think it's a nice enough song, I've just thought that it might be miles better with suitable vocals and a singer.

I can't think of any words yet (not my forte, my last song was about sheep...) but I think a female vocalist might work well. Cara or Maggie? Or maybe a stronger voice rather than their soft tones? My singing isn't very good but going through it in my head I imagine they'd need quite a range to cover the lowest to highest notes with strength.

Anyone else agree (or care ;-). Any other thoughts on what the song could be about or who would be best to sing it?

Matt

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 09:01

I think it works extremely well with no lyrics/voices at all. I'm getting more and more into it, and although I really adore most of the Light CD, I'm starting to admit to myself that "Sunset" has one of the best melodies of the whole work. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 09:22

You're right that it's a great track as it is, but Surfing being my favourite, because of the nice vocal melody, I wonder how brilliant Sunset would have been with nice verses and chorusses. It's still a great song, though :D
Greetings from HappyHolland :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 10:46

Well of course, there already is a (virtual) voice in there singing "sunset" every now and then. I actually find it quite funny how Mike has chosen, for many of the otherwise instrumental tracks, ot have voices singing the track's title. It reminds me a little of a BBC comedy series, where they invented a game of singing the names of TV shows along to their theme music - they had a choir doing it, and the results were of course pretty silly. So I have to smile every time I hear that little voice going "sunset, sunset" in the background!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 10:50

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 07 2005, 15:46)
I actually find it quite funny how Mike has chosen, for many of the otherwise instrumental tracks, ot have voices singing the track's title.

So why isn't track 1 of Light called Burger meat?  ;)

It could get annoying, like the James Bond films, they usually say the Film's title somewhere  :zzz:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 10:53

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 07 2005, 10:50)

You mean the 'loid is not singing "Burger King, Burger King" ?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 12:06

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 07 2005, 15:53)
Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 07 2005, 10:50)

You mean the 'loid is not singing "Burger King, Burger King" ?

well so far the suggestions have been 'burger meat' (various) bugger me and Burger King, so who knows?? Only Mike I'm sure  :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 12:24

That thing of mandatorily having a voice reciting the song's title is a bit irritating, I think. I might be wrong, but that trick is a bit Kraftwerkesque, isn't it? Listen to "The Man Machine" and check it out.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 12:28

WE ARE THE ROBOTS (X79!;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 04:29

I'd think it was the other way round, actually... Mike put the voices in, and they had to sing something so he thought up one word, and then also made it the title... I mean if the tracks were called something else, that might appear even more silly!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2011, 07:21

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 07 2005, 10:46)
Well of course, there already is a (virtual) voice in there singing "sunset" every now and then. I actually find it quite funny how Mike has chosen, for many of the otherwise instrumental tracks, ot have voices singing the track's title. It reminds me a little of a BBC comedy series, where they invented a game of singing the names of TV shows along to their theme music - they had a choir doing it, and the results were of course pretty silly. So I have to smile every time I hear that little voice going "sunset, sunset" in the background!

I think that would be true if the voice were more obtrusive, but it's not - if you listen casually to the piece you can miss the voice altogether. Given that "Sunset" is a kind of lament for the human condition - telling us that in the scheme of things we're nothing - the background, easy-to-miss quality of the human voice fits right in.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 07 2005, 07:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net