Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunday Express interview on avoiding Britain< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 13:13

The UK's Sunday Express has published an interview with Mike about why he's not planning on returning to the UK.

Thanks, 3Wheeler
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 15:37

Glad we have a smoking ban in public places though, that seems sensible enough to me, as never did like walking into smoky rooms, although I did smoke myself once in my 20s. My 18 year old daughter admits to having "ONLY the odd one" - when I asked why she carries a lighter round with her

Discovered my daughter smoking the exact same way Wiga.. "What do you need this lighter for" ?... It was such a relief when I found out she was`nt an arsonist.Seriously though it was kind of hypocritical considering I smoke,but rightly or wrongly I did end up lecturing her against it.And have done persistently since I may add.For all my dad never smoked(my mother smokes like a chimney) he always had a kind of "whatever turns you on" philosophy about it.It`s easy to say now I guess,but if he had`nt have been so laid back about it I may never have started in the first place.Or then again maybe I would have,who knows?...I feel like I need to say something anyway.

Personaly I`m not glad the smoking ban came in because purely for selfish reasons I miss smoking in bars.At the same time though I understand and appreciate why the law had to come in.Over time and once you get used to it,it does get ingrained into your psyche I guess.It becomes so ingrained in fact that whenever I see an old film on the tv and they`re lighting up all over the bloody place.I`ll hear this little voice going off in the back of my head saying.. "What the hell are they doing?..........The lucky gits"  On the plus side though,I make conversation with a lot more strangers now,standing in pub doorways and such.It`s interesting in that respect.My wife sometimes watches me through the window,but we`re cool.  :p
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 17:39

All 3 of my kids keep on telling me to give up smoking, so I guess the educational indoctrination is working. And I'm glad of that.

i enjoy smoking, know I really should give up and how bad it is for me. Plus it gets blinking cold in the utility room with the door open this time of year. But i would still be really annoyed if the kids started.

As for Mike's movements. Given a few million quid i think I'd be right behind him. Britain is not the place I grew up in. Mind you, i would return here  - where else do you get marmite crisps?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 20:24

It's probably not the smoking issue itself that Mr O objects to; it's probably that he doesn't like being told what to do. He comes across as incredibly persistent/stubborn - witness his persistence in finding someone willing to take on TB.

Korgscrew doesn't like the name "Eugenie". It's a royal name, of course - indicating again that MO likes the "old" England.

Perhaps he'll end up living in Australia. A lot of UK people (eg Ben Elton, Leo Sayer) have done.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 21:50

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 01 2010, 01:24)
Perhaps he'll end up living in Australia. A lot of UK people (eg Ben Elton, Leo Sayer) have done.

...Terry Oldfield has been living in Australia for many years  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 22:07

Heavens! Only Mike knows where he wants to be, I don't think Australia is where he wants to be! As for him enjoying a quiet fag in peace, he has earned the right to smoke where the "morals police" can't annoy him...far away from land on the high seas! Stick to your guns Mike!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 00:11

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 01 2010, 00:24)
Korgscrew doesn't like the name "Eugenie". It's a royal name, of course - indicating again that MO likes the "old" England.

I never said that ;)

It's just that Mike and Fanny's youngest child used to be a son called Eugene, not a daughter called Eugenie. Maybe there's something in the water...
Profile PM 
6 replies since Feb. 28 2010, 13:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net