Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 08:36

I'd love to have Mike Oldfield's single/Froggy Went A Courting on single.I have it on a single and the sound quality isn't all that great even through my stereo which (although i say so myself)is pretty good.The a-side is brilliant and has really complex sounding layers of guitar and would really benefit from being on cd.And i have to agree that it is often overlooked.Spanish Tune is almost mythical so a cd release would be amazing.
 Perhaps they could release the real Sally (as opposed to Into Wonderland) on the Platinum re-issue too.
 And i guess a proper CD release of the orginal mix of HR would be great but as Mike chose to have the remix for all formats post Boxed then it probably won't happen.We can dream though. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 08:44

Hummm...5.1 mixes would be great to see them released...afaik,Mike had plans to do it one for Ommadawn!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 10:39

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 20 2009, 10:11)
I have a large FLAC folder called Mike Oldfield 10th anniversary Tubular Bells, live Wembley 7-22-1983. It does not seem hidden to me.

Yes, that's the concert - just it was the video of it which prisoner.of.the.dark.sky was wanting to see. It was recorded, but apparently deemed not good enough for commercial release. As far as I know, nobody (outside of the people who produced it) has ever seen it, though I could be wrong there (has anyone here seen a copy?).

But you're right, the audio's out there...worth bearing in mind!
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 11:27

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 20 2009, 08:02)
Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 20 2009, 11:11)
I have a large FLAC folder called Mike Oldfield 10th anniversary Tubular Bells, live Wembley 7-22-1983.  .... There is much music from Ommadawn, Discovery and Crises.

[quote=Matt]Weird! What Discovery tracks are on that? Discovery wasn't released until a year later
[/quote]
Here's a track listing of the concert I have (also FLAC-files from the July 22nd, 1983 concert):

1 Introduction Woodhenge (3:48)
2 Incantations III (4:15)
3 Sheba (3:20)
4 Ommadawn Part I (8:46)
5 Mount Teide (4:07)
6 Five Miles Out (5:05)
7 Tubular Bells Part I (18:51)
8 Crises (22:19)
9 Taurus I (9:24)
10 Taurus II (22:33)
11 Moonlight Shadow (6:44)
12 Shadow On The Wall (6:03)
13 Family Man (3:53)

It is of course possible that my version is a butchered one - would be great to be confirmed that something from Discovery was actually played(!;)
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 12:01

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Mar. 19 2009, 16:47)
What we need - what I need - is a release of the video from the exceptional live concert in 1983 from Wembley

I cut short my holiday in Cornwall to get to that concert. Got back just in time I seem to remember.

Just checked the ticket, which being a sad anorak type of bloke, I still have. I paid £6.50 for it. Ahh those were the days.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 12:09

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Mar. 19 2009, 19:47)
What we need - what I need - is a release of the video from the exceptional live concert in 1983 from Wembley and other rare things..
(now that they are digging their noses in the old Virgin catalog anyway)

Not only this,but also The Essential Mike Oldfield on DVD  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 13:26

Sorry, no Discovery. My mistake. Its the the same file Mix has.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 15:54

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Mar. 20 2009, 11:39)
The A-side is an amazing re-working of part of side 2 of Tubular Bells and the b-side is 'Froggy went-a courting' featuring Bridget St.John and Oldfield on vocals.

Bridget St. John had nothing to do with the Froggy single. It was sung by Mike O and Vanessa Branson. I don't know who floated the idea it was Bridget as that is what ended up in so many discographies, but her voice is totally different.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 16:12

Yeah would be amazing to get a properly mastered CD version of 'Mike Oldfield's Single - theme from T.B.'. Its an amazingly powerful piece. I was very suprised it never ended up in the Elements box, but then Virgin made alot of mistakes on that anyway!
As for Spanish Tune (VS112) for those who dont know it is just a section of Hergest Ridge which was put on a white label promo. The odd thing is that when I was a kid I always used to browse the Music Master books in the shops that showed all the releases that could be ordered & those that were recently deleted, & I remember 1 edition actually had Spanish Tune listed as a deleted single. Strange!
Anyway, lets hope the new reissues turn up some nice unexpected gems from the vaults.

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 17:07

I've already got Tubular Bells the original, 2003 edition and Exposed funky version, as well as the MO single.  What else do I need?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 19:34

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Mar. 19 2009, 22:47)
What we need - what I need - is a release of the video from the exceptional live concert in 1983 from Wembley and other rare things..
(now that they are digging their noses in the old Virgin catalog anyway)

please don´t just put Tubular Bells repack no. 1000 out... ;)

:D i agree so much on this!

Anyway.. great news.. ! I love things like this! :D :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 19:35

Quote (captainjjb @ Mar. 20 2009, 23:07)
I've already got Tubular Bells the original, 2003 edition and Exposed funky version, as well as the MO single.  What else do I need?

not a bit, but all of it :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 19:45

Quote (SimonUK @ Mar. 20 2009, 16:12)
Yeah would be amazing to get a properly mastered CD version of 'Mike Oldfield's Single - theme from T.B.'. Its an amazingly powerful piece. I was very suprised it never ended up in the Elements box, but then Virgin made alot of mistakes on that anyway!
As for Spanish Tune (VS112) for those who dont know it is just a section of Hergest Ridge which was put on a white label promo. The odd thing is that when I was a kid I always used to browse the Music Master books in the shops that showed all the releases that could be ordered & those that were recently deleted, & I remember 1 edition actually had Spanish Tune listed as a deleted single. Strange!
Anyway, lets hope the new reissues turn up some nice unexpected gems from the vaults.

I don't fully belive this until someone tells me which section of Hergest Ridge that was released as Spanish tune. Until then, it's a unreleased masterpiece!  :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 08:57

I've got a radio promo 7" of Hergest Ridge which is sort of a highlights run through on one side and an extract on the other, I always wondered if that was 'spanish Tune'.

Anyway, my main concern about all this is is that what record companies have done in the past is re-release all the albums and tag on extras at the end of them from the associated period. so I guess we'll get Mike Oldfield's single at the end of Tubular Bells and Rite of Man at the end of Crises etc. They did this with the Bowie albums a few years back. Sadly this means we'll have to buy all the albums again to get the rarities. Personally I'd prefer one set with all the rarities and have someone who really knows what they're doing to overlook the project, someone like one of us nerds. Mind you with Oldfield himself involved you'd imagine he might know a thing or two about his own career! I'd love to see this approached like the Neil Young archives has been approached but without the twenty year wait. I suppose though that Neil Young is a different kettle of fish.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 11:33

Perhaps there's room for a dedicated rarities release as well - it's certainly something I'd be interested in seeing. I can see why they might want to add extra things to the re-released albums, but I can also see how that material would be very attractive to people who really don't want another copy of those albums.

Plans are still being finalised, so we can't talk specifics right now, but I can say that the project is being overseen by people who seem to know what they're doing (and who, at least in one case, are fans of Mike) and who are keen to make something interesting out of this release and hopefully those which follow it too. I think you'll probably find that what Airborne has said holds true - it's unlikely that they're going to pull out a long lost Tubular Bells Part Three or anything here, but some things were mentioned which sounded very interesting to me (that of course doesn't mean they'll be interesting to everyone else though! ). They're very interested in hearing what the fan reaction is, and I'll make sure that we put forward all the suggestions we can for making this whole thing as good as possible.

More archive releases might well be attractive to Mercury/Universal - after all, they want to make the most out of Mike's back catalogue now they've bought the rights to it and while some of his albums are no doubt solid sellers, I'd imagine the uptake on them will be generally slower than on things which people have never heard/seen before (though that does depend on how large a sector of the market they appeal to). I suspect that similar thinking was behind Virgin's releasing of the Elements and Exposed DVDs and the Platinum Collection (even if that wasn't the comprehensive B-Sides/rarities collection some hoped it would be) - getting those initial sales before Universal got their hands on the material! We'll see what can be done...
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 13:21

If a probler re-release of Tubular Bells then only MFSL remaster!
For those who don't know it's a half speed mastering from original tapes. The sound is almost perfect. Some Pink Floyd albums got remastered by this technology already. Ok they are overpriced on e-bay I know.  :p
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 15:02

If true great but that date of april 1st  ;)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 19:20

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 20 2009, 13:44)
Hummm...5.1 mixes would be great to see them released...afaik,Mike had plans to do it one for Ommadawn!

100% Agree
Mike's catalogue in 5.1 - Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok ...  :)
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 06:04

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 20 2009, 19:45)
quote]
I don't fully belive this until someone tells me which section of Hergest Ridge that was released as Spanish tune. Until then, it's a unreleased masterpiece!  :p

I have a copy on CD taken from a copy of Spanish Tune. It is the section starting from 2min 35 on part 2 & lasts about 3min 12 secs with a faded out end. I was offered 1 for sale a few years ago but at £250 I couldnt afford it at the time.

--------------
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 06:09

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 21 2009, 11:33)
They're very interested in hearing what the fan reaction is, and I'll make sure that we put forward all the suggestions we can for making this whole thing as good as possible.

For the T Bells reissue VS101 A & B sides (both versions of Froggy would be good) are a MUST for this. Possibly the 2nd house recording of T Bells Part 2. I do not know if this was videod like part 1 or not (in which case a DVD of the full album would be great!;), but I have an audio copy.

--------------
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net