Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2009, 08:44

Quote (The Caveman @ April 08 2009, 08:28)
Live stuff would be huge bonus but also the fabled Pipe Tune (if it really exists-even Virgin are unsure as it was a promo release)

Pipe Tune definetely exists, I've got three copies of it on 7"!  One of 'em is up on ebay at the moment actually!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 08:55

Quote (hairy old hippy @ April 08 2009, 14:44)
Quote (The Caveman @ April 08 2009, 08:28)
Live stuff would be huge bonus but also the fabled Pipe Tune (if it really exists-even Virgin are unsure as it was a promo release)

Pipe Tune definetely exists, I've got three copies of it on 7"!  One of 'em is up on ebay at the moment actually!

Yes, Pipe Tune is an existing release. I think Caveman confused it with Spanish Tune. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 09:05

I pressume The Cavemen was talking about 'Spanish Tune'.

However, there might be problems with 'Pipe Tune' indeed. If I'm not wrong, that's the song which master tapes were lost in early 80s. So, when Dirk compiled 'The Complete' material, he had to ask German fanclub for an authentic unplayed copy of a 7" to transfer it back to tape. That is why it doesn't sound too good despite being released on CD.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 09:13

Quote (crises1980 @ April 08 2009, 15:05)
I pressume The Cavemen was talking about 'Spanish Tune'.

However, there might be problems with 'Pipe Tune' indeed. If I'm not wrong, that's the song which master tapes were lost in early 80s. So, when Dirk compiled 'The Complete' material, he had to ask German fanclub for an authentic unplayed copy of a 7" to transfer it back to tape. That is why it doesn't sound too good despite being released on CD.

Uhm, I don't have the Pipe Tune on the Complete Mike Oldfield, neither on the CD and LP releases I have. Which version do you have if I may ask? As far as I know, Pipe Tune was never released on cd (apart from some bootlegs), only on vinyl.

So we got another song for a cd release!!! ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 08 2009, 11:05

Quote (Spinne @ April 08 2009, 10:23)
Is there any confirmation about when the press release would be? Well, the most important is they do a great work so, I think, we can wait if it would be a new delay ;)

All we were told was that they'd decided to delay it by a week to sort out some of the details. They did say they hoped to get it out 'just before Easter', which probably means the end of the week. I'll try and chase it up, maybe we can at least get the go ahead to mention a few of the more confirmed details...
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 12:35

OK, thank you Korgscrew. As someone have said before, I'm sure we can wait if there are good news ;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 12:52

Er yes i must have confused it with Spanish tune i guess.Oops.Well hell lets have them both on the re-issues!
 I knew one of them was rare as rocking horse poo.I don't have either.I do have a few early/mid 70's singles.None of which are very rare i don't think seeing as i bought them for a song.Took me a long time to track down a copy of Take Four but bare in mind this was before Forum's like this existed.
 Bring on the re-issues with the rarer stuff.I'd actually be happy to see them with accurate sleevenotes and minus the million typo's from the Virgin effort.I'm easily pleased. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 00:08

I'll be interested to see what happens with Hergest Ridge.

I gather there's still probably a bit of controversy, but I think it'd be good if they put the original mix on an extra disc - if they decided that HR is worth a 2CD release. They could probably pad out the extra disc with the orchestral version or whatever, even though that was, by most accounts, awful, all the same I'd wouldn't mind hearing it as a curio.

I've got the original on tape, it was like the third one I ever bought in the late 80s, but I've only just got around to dubbing that onto the computer a month back so I could compare it with the remix again. I still prefer the remix, the original is just a little busy and blatant for me (I guess it turned out that way because it got a bit rushed in the race to get a follow-up to TB) and takes away from that pastoral vibe, for instance the last section of the remixed version puts The Fear in me every time.

Of course having the original as a tape transfer may not help with things like noise and saturation. Which is why I'd like it properly mastered on CD of course!

And of course I also hope they restore the original typography and all that when they deal with the covers of HR, Ommadawn and Platinum. I guess they'll have to lose the Roger Dean Virgin logo though. :)

Aside from that, I'm not sure what to expect. I've got a few of the Deluxe editions UMG have done for other artists (such as The Orb, DJ Shadow and Sonic Youth) and thought those were pretty good so I'd be pretty content for them to do something similar with the Oldfield material - especially if they do a lot of work on the liner notes as they'd done with the others. Though it'll probably send me broke if they put out the whole lot at once.

We'll know more before too long, I guess.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 07:06

So if Universal/Mercury have bought Mikes entire Virgin back catologue....then surely there is the perfect opportunity to re-market Amarok? Obviously the attrraction with repackaging and reissuing TB is that it is universally recognised but surely if they (Universal) got behind Amarok in a similar vein to the way they promoted MOTS then maybe, just maybe this album will get the recognition it deserves. These guys at Universal seem hell bent on promoting Mike (im guessing someone high up is a big MO fan) so for me, i would like to see Amarok given the full Universal treatment. There are so many 'ocasional' Mike fans who dip in and out of his catologue, many of them wont have listened to Amarok. I also think because of the very many differing segments on the album it gives Universal the opportunity to market with tantelising sound bites from the album.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 05:07

I'm curious as to whether getting the original mix of Hergest Ridge on cd is possible. Might the original master tapes have been butchered/cut etc in the making of the subsequent mix? Or did I read that it the remix was achieved with a primitive computer technology?
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 08:57

As previously stated in the Boxed booklet Mike himself remixed it for Boxed.He claimed to have erased tracks entirely.I don't know wether to take this as fact as other bits in the booklet are simply not true.I'd love to think the original mix still exists though cos it is so much better than the remix.I see why he did it but it just doesn't compare IMHO.
 As for the computer mix i think (from the same source)it was TB that was remixed using a computer by (i forget his first name could be Roger) Newell.He talks of feeding the info into a computer to allow the mix to be accheived more easily.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 14 2009, 19:15

Mike wouldn't have gone anywhere near the original mix when making his remix. Even if he'd erased the entire 16 track master, the original mix would still be safe in the vault (unless someone decided to just throw it in the bin after they'd finished creating the master lacquers for duplication (but then that still wouldn't account for the masters they'd have needed for cassette duplication...). The likelihood of that having happened, based on the knowledge that they've kept the masters for every other album they've released, is very low indeed, I would say. I suppose there's a chance someone threw it out once it had been decided to make all future releases from the remix, but from what I know of what's been kept in the archives, I'd think that's unlikely too...

I personally think that the "in some cases like the snare drum, erase them entirely" statement is just fuzzy wording from Mike and he means he removed them from the new mix; wiping them would have achieved nothing (it's not like he needed the extra tracks for anything) and wouldn't have stopped them re-releasing the original mix - it would only prevent them from remixing the album again in future. That's of course not to say that just because something will achieve nothing, someone won't do it!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 04:05

Which is what i hope he meant.So potentially we could see a cd of the original.I'd buy it instantly before any of the other re-issues.The original is a much more satisfying version.The only thing i would like to see done is the sudden drop in volume and the 'muffled' effect on side 2 being rectified.Other than that bring it on!
By the way it was Phil Newell who did the TB mix in Boxed.Stupid Dan and his useless memory! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net