Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ProjectZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 11:17

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 24 2009, 16:52)
All the B-sides to the corresponding albums would be a huge bonus!

+ all non-album singles (Cuckoo-song, Mistake, Crime of Passion, Shine,Pictures in the dark,...) + their B-sides
+ extended mixes

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 12:39

I totally agree. B-sides and Singles only tracks would be nice to have on the corresponding albums. And of course a nice live version or two?
Would be nice with some good liner notes and stories from the studio, by Oldfield himself and contributing musicians.

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 13:02

What I say is; bang all the rarities, b-sides, live bits, whatever they're gonna give us on one or two albums. There's enough stuff in the world already we don't need anymore, I'm coming in on an environmental angle here.I can't imagine that there aren't enough copies of all of Oldfield's albums to go round already. It's like the record company wants to compete with the second hand market which is, I'm sure, huge for Oldfield realted stuff. That's called recycling and it has to be done! I know it sounds like a dampner on proceedings but I thought it needed to be said!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 13:03

@Project Z.I agree that the logical conclusion would be to have the singles from the corresponding era.Much like they did on Hendrix's Are You Experienced re-issue.
@ekleof.Nice idea but getting Mike to talk about his own work is like pulling teeth.He's happy enogh to talk about his life but not about his own music.Shame.
However some accurate liner notes would make a great change from the rubbish in the Virgin re-issues.Notice yet another cock up last night.If you go by the back cover of Crises then Foreign Affair must be a bonus track cos it's not listed! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 14:19

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 24 2009, 15:41)
I reacon there's a fair bit left.

Well, I believe that you´re right.
Knowing MO´s maniac search for perfection and his countless (over)dubs I wouldn't be surprised if there were 1000+ different versions of e.g. Tubular Bells in his drawer   :O
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 14:57

Got rather excited by the news, but I also have enormous doubts if this will be what we think it will be. I hope it will be big though (Korgie, keep us posted ;) ). I'm also a sucker when it comes to buying re-issue versions, but then again I collect everything Mike has ever released. But I really have to see this happening... only time will tell.

The whole 5.1 thing would be nice, but I rather see rare unreleased stuff. I've always rejected 5.1, but ever since I mix movies in 5.1, I got really excited with the whole thing. I only hope they will be mixed properly. The TB 2003 5.1 mix was dissapointing for me; pieces of music flying annoying around me. I still prefer a decent stereo mix over a poorly made 5.1 mix.

Now SACD, that's really interesting! Pity it didn't get popular. The best things always turn out to be unpopular.

Now, what REALLY would be interesting to see released is the following:

1) The Tubular Bells premiere concert in Queen Elizabeth Hall 1973 on DVD / Blu-ray. It excists and I've been screaming to see it released it for the past few years.

2) The Essential Mike Oldfield (Knebworth concert 1980) on DVD / Blu-ray. Added bonus: the whole concert! They played much more than there is on the VHS edition: Incantations, Platinum etc. etc.

3) Wembley concert 1983 (and more concerts filmed in those days) on DVD / Blu-ray. The problem, as mentioned earlier, is that those tapes are scattered around the world.

4) Unreleased materials would be nice, as well as 7" and 12" singles on the cd (Don Alfonso in proper quality( ! ), Froggy-went-a-courting etc. etc.)

5) Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I want to see more video clips on DVD / Blu-ray (the other version of To France, as well as the video clips of Mike's Warner years).

6) Lots and LOTS of (rare) photos over the years in booklets (maybe a nice big book).

Am I too demanding? ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 15:36

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 24 2009, 11:43)
But the big question is.. why is it than whenever anyone admits to having seen Prisoner Cell Block H,they`re always "flicking through the channels"?..

I would like to point out as a matter of course that I was indeed only flicking through the channels  :D
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 16:31

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 24 2009, 19:57)
Now, what REALLY would be interesting to see released is the following:

1) The Tubular Bells premiere concert in Queen Elizabeth Hall 1973 on DVD / Blu-ray. It excists and I've been screaming to see it released it for the past few years.

2) The Essential Mike Oldfield (Knebworth concert 1980) on DVD / Blu-ray. Added bonus: the whole concert! They played much more than there is on the VHS edition: Incantations, Platinum etc. etc.

3) Wembley concert 1983 (and more concerts filmed in those days) on DVD / Blu-ray. The problem, as mentioned earlier, is that those tapes are scattered around the world.

4) Unreleased materials would be nice, as well as 7" and 12" singles on the cd (Don Alfonso in proper quality( ! ), Froggy-went-a-courting etc. etc.)

5) Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I want to see more video clips on DVD / Blu-ray (the other version of To France, as well as the video clips of Mike's Warner years).

6) Lots and LOTS of (rare) photos over the years in booklets (maybe a nice big book).

Am I too demanding? ;)

All of that would be tremendous. Somehow I don't think we're going to get any of it though  ;)

Yeah, I know I'm a pessimist!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 17:00

If Universal /Mercury are listening or looking for guidance from fans, this discussion will be food for thought  :D
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 17:29

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Mar. 24 2009, 22:00)
If Universal /Mercury are listening or looking for guidance from fans, this discussion will be food for thought  :D

Yes, so they shouldn't just be looking at the inherited Virgin archive. But do they really know where else to look?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 04:39

I still thank the people who made the Exposed and Montreaux DVD's possible!! Do you know Korg if these people are the same who are busy with these re-releases?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 06:43

On my wishlist: a decent version of the Royal Wedding Anthem (1981).
I cannot imagine he played it live without ever trying it in a studio.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 09:16

Regarding CD booklets,I've seen great works on remastered editions,like on King Crimson and Peter Gabriel remasters,where you can find pictures, newspaper/magazine stuff which featured information on that particular CD,lyrics...I particully enjoyed that.

In Mike's case,besides all that stuff I've mentioned,decent liner notes would be great to see...maybe Mike himself can also add some comments,but I think it'll be hard,since he doesn't like to talk about his own music.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
revster Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 18:20

is all this 4 real i been looking on net i cant find nothin about re issue not listed on amazon or play..... and april the 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 03:07

Good list Blue Dolphin.

Oblique, before reading your post I was just thinking, has the Royal Wedding Anthem been released before.

Actually I have never heard it. I wanted to go to see it live, but was doing work experience and couldn't get out of it.

Is it on the web somewhere to listen to/download?

Thanks

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 09:01

Quote (revster @ Mar. 25 2009, 18:20)
is all this 4 real i been looking on net i cant find nothin about re issue not listed on amazon or play..... and april the 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope so, it would be in bad taste if it were a joke.
Profile PM 
revster Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 09:33

to right wud be in really bad taste. cant wait for april 1st excitement is growing .....
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 11:16

Quote (revster @ Mar. 25 2009, 22:20)
i cant find nothin about re issue not listed on amazon or play.....

True, but have another look at Amazon. I've just taken a very quick search at amazon.co.uk for 'Tubular Bells' and they have no copies in stock, as far as I can see (there are still lots from other sellers, but none being sold by Amazon themselves). That seems to concur with the reports I've read from Spain, that copies of Mike's older albums are disappearing out of the shops. Combine that with the news from a few years ago, that Mike's back catalogue would transfer to Universal/Mercury in 2009 and...my interpretation of that would be that they're running stocks down. Either that or Amazon's just got fed up of selling Tubular Bells (but then an even more superficial click around Amazon's site suggests that they have none of Mike's early albums, up to and including Crises...).

To answer Blue Dolphin's question, as far as I know, the people behind this aren't the same people as the ones who worked on the Elements and Exposed re-releases. The man compiling the releases has worked on various prog rock releases in the past (including some by artists closely linked to Mike) and the person in charge of the whole thing is a fan of Mike, so I hope it's in good hands!
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 11:35

They could put Changeling in chapters, one chapter in every cd!!

Now that press release has confirmed the TB reedition, it seems everything comes true!!

But Mike going to live in Bahamas seems he is not going to work very much in the near future!!!  :)  (hey, isn't there a very famous record studio??)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/propert....it.html
Profile PM 
daulfes Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:15

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 26 2009, 11:16)
Quote (revster @ Mar. 25 2009, 22:20)
i cant find nothin about re issue not listed on amazon or play.....

True, but have another look at Amazon. I've just taken a very quick search at amazon.co.uk for 'Tubular Bells' and they have no copies in stock, as far as I can see (there are still lots from other sellers, but none being sold by Amazon themselves).

Interestingly (or frightengly) enough, this is the same for Amazon.de!!
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net