Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 06:19

Well, while we're on Tubular Bells, the original demos wouldn't go a miss, I know there out there somewhere.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 09:34

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Mar. 22 2009, 11:19)
Well, while we're on Tubular Bells, the original demos wouldn't go a miss, I know there out there somewhere.

Most of the demos appeared on the DVD-Audio release of TB 2003, but not all - it would be nice to see the complete demos on CD at last.

There was also a tune I heard years ago that sounded to my ears like a variation on the opening theme of TB - it's been driving me crazy since - I heard a snippet of it on a Lucas engineering advert at that time, and the last time I heard it was flicking through the channels a few years ago and hearing it on Prisoner Cell Block H of all places!

Any ideas anyone ?  :)
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 17:04

I am a sucker for reissues so this sounds very tempting...

Can not wait until 1st April!

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 20:22

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Mar. 22 2009, 14:34)
There was also a tune I heard years ago that sounded to my ears like a variation on the opening theme of TB - it's been driving me crazy since - I heard a snippet of it on a Lucas engineering advert at that time, and the last time I heard it was flicking through the channels a few years ago and hearing it on Prisoner Cell Block H of all places!

Could it possibly be this?

Perpetuum Mobile
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 07:18

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 23 2009, 01:22)

Perpetuum Mobile

Thanks for that - It's lovely  :)  The tune I'm talking about is quite similar to this, but the arpeggio is faster, and an octave higher - it's a least 25+ years since I first heard it also.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 08:28

A press release came out from Euphonix a while ago saying that MO was doing some 5.1 mixes for a future project. The original release is gone from the site but http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7361 is my thread on it at another site.
He has said he has no time for 5.1 but commercial pressures may change his mind.
Hopefully we'll get at least Ommdawn in 5.1 and perhaps the lost Incantations Quad mix.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 09:00

Excuse my ignorance in things musically technical, but what does the 5.1 thing mean and should I be excited about it?

I assume it has nothing to do with the 2015 release of Tubular Bells 5.1  ;)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 09:58

Me thinks Mr Korg knows way more than he's letting on. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 10:17

Quote (ingresman @ Mar. 23 2009, 14:28)
A press release came out from Euphonix a while ago saying that MO was doing some 5.1 mixes for a future project. The original release is gone from the site but http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7361 is my thread on it at another site.
He has said he has no time for 5.1 but commercial pressures may change his mind.
Hopefully we'll get at least Ommdawn in 5.1 and perhaps the lost Incantations Quad mix.

Oh Yes!

Gimme Gimme Gimme

I mean Buy Buy Buy...

:)

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 12:22

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 22 2009, 20:22)

Perpetuum Mobile

Right yeah, that's Penguin Cafe Orchestra right? They were label mates with Oldfield in the 70's for a short while. Funnily enough I was listening to one of their 1970's albums a little while back and thought to myself; there's some amarok flavour in this!

Just to add to the 5.1 thing, I'm not bothered really. I think I'd rather have new material. As a musician myself I find remastering and remixing old stuff can be a stifling experience.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 13:22

Quote (clotty @ Mar. 23 2009, 09:00)
Excuse my ignorance in things musically technical, but what does the 5.1 thing mean and should I be excited about it?

I assume it has nothing to do with the 2015 release of Tubular Bells 5.1  ;)

The 2015 release !!! - wow you look ahead
5.1 =  a souped up version of quad (my quad buds will kill me for that !;)
Should you be excited? - oh yes !
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 17:23

Quote (ingresman @ Mar. 23 2009, 13:22)

Not if you own only a stereo.  :p
Though 5.1 is quite fun (e.g. TB2003) I prefer proper stereo equipment over worse 5.1. Unles you don't know what to do with money.  ;)
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 17:48

Quote (Black Bunik @ Mar. 23 2009, 17:23)
Quote (ingresman @ Mar. 23 2009, 13:22)

Not if you own only a stereo.  :p
Though 5.1 is quite fun (e.g. TB2003) I prefer proper stereo equipment over worse 5.1. Unles you don't know what to do with money.  ;)

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even own a stereo. All the music in my house comes out of the two little speakers that came with my computer or from my iPod.

I think I must have spent all my spare money on bass guitars.

However, I'm willing to get vaguely excited for all of you out there with 5.1 compatible gramaphones.  :D

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 20:38

I'd be interested to know what equipment Mike uses to listen to music, if he ever did some adjustments to a piece after having listened to it in his living room versus his studio for example, does he use headphones, etc. I find that TSODE sounds very different on different systems, to my ears... A commercial partnership with an audio company "re Tubular Bells 2009 5.1" sounds best on ...." could be interesting, but it may actually depend on our ears, in which case this wouldn't make sense. I'm not sure how different our ears are from each others, much less different than audio system are from each others?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2009, 21:59

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 20 2009, 04:03)
And even if it doesn`t,maybe there are a few unearthed gems sitting hiding in the vaults after all!?..

I'm skeptical about the whole idea of unearthed gems in anyone's vault. If a piece is good enough it will already have been released.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 04:44

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 23 2009, 21:59)
I'm skeptical about the whole idea of unearthed gems in anyone's vault. If a piece is good enough it will already have been released.

I kind of thought that until vivaldi concerto in c was unearthed in the elements box set.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 06:43

Well I think some bands/artists have more "unearthed gems" than others to put it plain and simply.You know sometimes tracks are left unreleased because they maybe didn`t fit in with whatever they were doing at the time.Or sometimes it can be because the artist themselves may not be aware of how good a track they actualy have hidden away there is anyway.Neil Young quoted earlier in this thread is a good example of both those case imo.That said I`m pretty skeptical there`s anything of note still left over from around the Tubular Bells sessions etc I must admit..But I guess you never know?

@Hairy Old Hippy..I`m guessing that`s the first Penguin Cafe album you`re refering to there,as there is a fair few atonal/discordant moments on that album that would maybe compare to Amarok in the way that they`re played.Plus it`s the only album they released in the 70`s..    :p

And I never really thought of Perpetuum Mobile being derivative of TB before but I guess there are similarities.Music For A Found Harmonium is`nt a million miles away either imo..But the big question is.. why is it than whenever anyone admits to having seen Prisoner Cell Block H,they`re always "flicking through the channels"?..You know did anybody anywhere on the entire surface of the planet,actualy have it planned into their daily itinerary to sit down and watch that show?..Plus why on earth did they build an entire prison out of plasterboard and papier mache?Where was the logic in that for goodness sakes?The only music I can remember from that show was that God awful theme tune at the start ..He used to bring me flowerrrs"..Jesus wept,that was some bizzare theme song for a gritty no holds barred prison drama that`s for sure..Err yeah I don`t remember it that well though.I was only flicking through the channels at the time you understand.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 10:41

Regarding the 5.1 thing i'm sure i read an interview somewhere where Mike said he had a bit of fun with TB2003 with 5.1 but essentially it's a bit of a dead end in his opinion.
I'd much rather listen to a good stereo version of a peice.You can listen to it on any stereo and not have to sit in a particular place to hear it in it's full effect.Quad dies a death because of this.Although like Clotty i listen to a lot of music now on my iPod.In fact i just redid my playlist so it has a lot more Mike on it (i only bothered with the live version of MOTS cos IMHO it knocks spots off the studio one).
 Regarding the re-issues i'm sure there are loads of gems left uncovered in the vaults but i doubt that,under the circumstances in which it was recorded,that there is anything from the time of the original TB.There simply would not have been time to do anything but get TB itself onto tape.
 I reacon there's a fair bit left.For example there's probably tons of live versions of stuff given that some was released on The Complete way back in 85 and the fact that he toured heavily from 79 through to 84.

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 10:48

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 24 2009, 10:41)
I reacon there's a fair bit left.For example there's probably tons of live versions of stuff given that some was released on The Complete way back in 85 and the fact that he toured heavily from 79 through to 84.

Apparently with the live stuff if he didn't like it they'd scrubb the tape, so maybe there's not as much as we hoped. Having said that there must be footage out there without official release cos we've all seen it on the internet!

With regards to Tubular Bells, as we all seem to be saying probably not much to be unearthed there but they are releasing the entire virgin back catalogue so that's twenty odd years for which to dig up atleast a couple if things. What about all that unreleased stuff from the Killing Fields? Not to mention B sides and the like.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2009, 10:52

Scrubbed the tapes?Bugger!

All the B-sides to the corresponding albums would be a huge bonus!

--------------
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net