Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 14:53

It's looking set to be a tubular summer: following the transfer of Mike's Virgin back catalogue to Universal/Mercury as part of Mike's 2005 deal, Mercury is preparing to begin re-releasing Mike's Virgin albums this year, starting with Tubular Bells.

A full press release will be made on April 1st, but as revealed exclusively to tubular.net, they're not fooling around when it comes to content - this looks set to be one serious release. Not content to just release a repackaged version of the existing Tubular Bells CD, they've been digging deep into the archives and, with the help of Mike himself, are working on some very special things. They're making sure there will be something for everyone, from newcomers to Mike's music to the most hardcore of fans.

Release is scheduled for June 8th and Mercury is intent on making this the summer of the bell!

Update April 10th: We expect the press release to be available next week.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 15:18

That all sounds great - except for the announcement date. Please please please don't put any announcements up on 1st April!

Not that I need an excuse to revisit Mikes work, but I am fascinated by what they might be able to dig up!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 15:44

I have looked at the archive and believe me when I say there is not much in there that isn't currently known about. It will only be different versions of well known tracks. There is very little unreleased music in the archive. I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 16:47

What we need - what I need - is a release of the video from the exceptional live concert in 1983 from Wembley and other rare things..
(now that they are digging their noses in the old Virgin catalog anyway)

please don´t just put Tubular Bells repack no. 1000 out... ;)
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 16:55

This is not Music of the Cubes again is it?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 18:16

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 19 2009, 19:18)
Please please please don't put any announcements up on 1st April!

Heh...well, I know what you're thinking there! It was a deliberate decision though (Universal's rather than ours) - the usual reaction to Tubular Bells related releases being something like "Oh no, Tubular Bells again? You must be joking!". They've decided to play on that and the humour that's there in the album - some really fun ideas are being floated about, we'll just have to see what sticks...

The 10th Anniversary of Tubular Bells concert...interesting thought. I can see how that could fit in with all this; I guess the question is whether they can find where it's been hidden (and whether it was even kept, considering how it was deemed unfit for commercial release at the time...the other question, then, is why it was deemed unfit and whether there's something that can be rescued out of it).

To an extent, there has to be a 'Tubular Bells repack no. 1000' here - the Virgin album will no longer be available, so there really needs to be a basic edition of Tubular Bells for people who want to buy a cheap copy of the album they remember from their youth, or who want to give it a try and aren't interested in any bells and whistles (apart from the bells and whistles which Mike plays on the album, of course ;)). They're definitely looking beyond just doing that, though - there's a lot of thought going into the whole thing and, while they'll no doubt not please everyone (some people are bound to feel that they've bought enough copies of Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells-related albums already), I think it's going to be hard to fault them for trying this time. The proof will, of course, be in the (tubular) pudding.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 03:36

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 19 2009, 14:53)
Release is scheduled for June 8th...

...followed by a world tour!?

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 03:38

Quote (clotty @ Mar. 20 2009, 09:36)

Yes, and he will begin in Switzerland  :D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 04:03

Can`t say I really need yet another copy of Tubular Bells,to put it mildly.But it`s good news that Mike`s back catalogue is being re-issued,and more importantly re-evaluated by the sounds of things.It`s also good that Mike himself is involved,and taking a vested interest in his own back catalogue.Maybe it`ll spur him on to create something new,sometime in the not too distant future.And even if it doesn`t,maybe there are a few unearthed gems sitting hiding in the vaults after all!?..There is plenty of room on Mike`s first three albums for a number of extra tracks,(length depending)without having to make it a 2 Disc limited edition affair.Hopefully "they" will have already borne that in mind..Reading between the lines of Korgscrew`s post here that sounds to me what they are going to try and do.I hope so anyway.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 04:16

I start dreaming again  :zzz:   :laugh:

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 04:23

Listening to the pieces that ended up as background music for Reflections (or was that the Space Movie?) it seems that plenty of demo versions and shorts instrumentals were made, of which most ended up on proper studio albums. And in the "Making of Ommadawn" there's music that never got released. Perhaps it all ended up in the bin, but who knows?
And then there's the "Chinese tune".  A single was made, so a master tape must have existed at some stage, or?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Perhaps it's time to renew my MO collection. Many of my MO CDs are old, un-remastered and has ugly "nice-price" stickers on them.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 04:24

Hmmmmm.This sound very very interesting.Maybe the demo's from the sadly deleted TB box will surface again.Let's see what Universal/Mercury can do with his back catalogue.To be fair they can't do a worse job than Virgin's last attempt which to be frank was crap.The sound quality was good but the essays by whoever it was (Derek Jewel?)were useless.The ommision of the fairytale and notes in Amarok was inexcusable,the fact that he claimed Guilty was on Incantation was laughable and the claim that Taurus took up side 1 on QE2 was a joke.Did he actually listen to them?
 So we wait and see.I will probably rebuy it cos i collect his stuff anyway but it will be really good to see a thorough re-appraisal with some extra goodies rather than a half-arsed,half-hearted cash in project ala Virgin.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 05:39

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 20 2009, 09:38)
Quote (clotty @ Mar. 20 2009, 09:36)

Yes, and he will begin in Switzerland  :D

And after 25 years Mike will return to the Swiss alps in order to record his new album!

:p  :laugh:
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 05:43

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 20 2009, 04:23)
Perhaps it all ended up in the bin, but who knows?
And then there's the "Chinese tune".  A single was made, so a master tape must have existed at some stage, or?

Huh? Have I heard of this? not sure, when was that planned for release then?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 06:11

Re: Korgscrew and: The 10th Anniversary of Tubular Bells concert...interesting thought. I can see how that could fit in with all this; I guess the question is whether they can find where it's been hidden (and whether it was even kept, considering how it was deemed unfit for commercial release at the time...the other question, then, is why it was deemed unfit and whether there's something that can be rescued out of it).

I have a large FLAC folder called Mike Oldfield 10th anniversary Tubular Bells, live Wembley 7-22-1983. It does not seem hidden to me. Except for some tracks being "chopped off" quickly at the end, and only TB part 1 is in the tracks, where is part 2? It is extremely well recorded. No noise, good stereo imagery. There is much music from Ommadawn, Discovery and Crises. Is this the recording you refer to? Just curious since you think it is hidden. It's right here, if that's what your looking for. There is a lot of good music in this folder.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 06:18

PS: and 5MO and QE2 too. Good concert.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 06:30

Spanish tune! I meant Spanish, not Chinese!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 06:34

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 20 2009, 06:30)
Spanish tune! I meant Spanish, not Chinese!

Ah, I got yer!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 06:39

Actually while I think about. This could be a chance for them finally to put 'Mike Oldfield's Single' on CD. The A-side is an amazing re-working of part of side 2 of Tubular Bells and the b-side is 'Froggy went-a courting' featuring Bridget St.John and Oldfield on vocals. I think this single has thus far been a valuable yet overlooked part of Tubular Bells history especially in the context of all the re-workings.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2009, 08:02

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 20 2009, 11:11)
I have a large FLAC folder called Mike Oldfield 10th anniversary Tubular Bells, live Wembley 7-22-1983.  .... There is much music from Ommadawn, Discovery and Crises.

Weird! What Discovery tracks are on that? Discovery wasn't released until a year later?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net