Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of the bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ingresman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 08:27

Much the same on amazon.com,
but for a laught see this http://www.amazon.com/gp....ion=new
Because this will go from the site, for future generations the seller wants $70.31 and it's not even the SACD version !
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 08:29

Quote (ingresman @ Mar. 27 2009, 08:27)
Much the same on amazon.com,
but for a laught see this http://www.amazon.com/gp....ion=new
Because this will go from the site, for future generations the seller wants $70.31 and it's not even the SACD version !

That's just shocking isn't it. I see this sort of thing all time on amazon, I suppose thery're just waiting for some mug to come along and bite, come to think of it what a bargain!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 15:29

Am I to understand a $10 CD is selling for 70 bucks? Wow.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 15:58

Its advertised at $70 but it wont be selling!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 13:00

They could make the release date 23 JUNE since that is midsummer and the kind of time which supposedly helps new creations and spiritual happenings.  Or it could be that this would be a nice birthday present for me.. tip tip wink wink.  ;)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2009, 17:52

Folks, I think it bears mentioning that Amazon is not always the seller.  Sometimes they simply point you in the direction of the seller.

About this whole reissue business...  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  It's not always smart for an artist to have too much control over their own catalogue.  MO's disappointment with some of his own past work is the biggest reason it's not available.  He just can't be objective enough to accept that something he might hate may be something we dearly love.  The reissues should most certainly be overseen by fans of his work, but with an eye to what we enthusiasts really want to lay out our cash to get.

I'm optimistic, but guarded.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 04:58

I think this touches on whether you think Mike 'owns' the music or someone else does. What right have we to hear anything if Mike doesn't think it's something we will want to hear. For me, he is the artist and he should own and choose what material, when it is to be released and how we listen to it. It belongs to him, he created it. Trouble is we get so much from it, we feel it belongs to us as well...I know I do at times...I depend upon it...but I never ever lose sight of where it has come from originally....I am lucky enough to appreciate it and my life is infinitely better for it, but I do not own it or have any right to.

I look forward to the new release whatever is decided regarding content. And if it's more Tubular Bells - then it's more Tubular Bells...I know I will never tire of hearing it in any form....as long as it's not Orchestral...I still do have a problem with that one :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 08:09

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 28 2009, 17:52)
Folks, I think it bears mentioning that Amazon is not always the seller.  Sometimes they simply point you in the direction of the seller.

About this whole reissue business...  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  It's not always smart for an artist to have too much control over their own catalogue.  MO's disappointment with some of his own past work is the biggest reason it's not available.  He just can't be objective enough to accept that something he might hate may be something we dearly love.  The reissues should most certainly be overseen by fans of his work, but with an eye to what we enthusiasts really want to lay out our cash to get.

I'm optimistic, but guarded.

I like the point you raised about artistes being objective about their music.  Its very hard to be objective sometimes and we can go by our own opinions. Sometimes these are commonly called 'blind spots'.  I think a certain amount of objectivity can come through teaching ourselves or being taught by someone else about the topic.  I'm a believer in semiotics helping us to be more objective about an image. piece of music, situation etc.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2009, 18:19

@ Silver.  Absolutely.

@ Bee.  Point taken.  But the fact is that I'm not talking about music that has not yet been released.  I'm talking about what has already been released, and then arbitrarily made unavailable later on.  I think that we can all agree that everything that has been worthy of release a first time should not be removed from a catalogue just because the artist may, for whatever reason, suddenly decide it should not be heard again.  An artist has to let go of his art at some point and let the world enjoy it or not enjoy it.  No one was disputing whether or not he owns it.

If an artist is allowed to keep interfering or "tampering", as the case may be, with the public availability of their work then it starts to resemble a dog worrying the burial of a bone.  Then what's next?  The Mona Lisa gets a facelift from Da Vinci every few years?  Michelangelo provides David with some male enhancement?  George Lucas keeps reworking the original Star Wars trilogy...  (oops, too late there!)?

Bottom line:  MO is in the "music business" to be heard.  Not to necessarily judge what we might NOT want to hear, particularly if he already deemed something worthy of our hearing in the past.

--------------
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2009, 07:28

Just read the thread on Mike selling his house, it has link to an article in the UK Telegraph.

There he wrote Music of the Sphere, an orchestral album which won a Brit award and worked on a remix of Tubular Bells, to be released in June. The Oldfields are now moving to the Bahamas, and are asking €3.95 million (£3.6 million) for their home.

While not accurate (yet) about the Brit award , we do get a mention of a June remix of TB.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 14:23

I was giving more thought to what could actually be added to this edition.  Apart from Parts 1 & 2 (of course), I think the solo guitar outtakes from the Sallyangie reissue, the 2 single remixes of TB and the Drunken Hornpipe would be the only other pieces that would make sense.  Perhaps the TB demo, but then it wouldn't be a single disc.  The "MO's Single" tracks should probably go on the HR reissue as it was recorded during those sessions.  But I sure wouldn't complain if they appeared here.

Man, if only they would poll the fans.

--------------
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 15:56

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 31 2009, 19:23)
Man, if only they would poll the fans.

Maybe this is their way of doing just that.  :D

A formal pol would be better, though.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 16:24

We're told the people at Universal are still finalising the details, so the date of the press release has been put back until next week to give them time to sort all that out. The release is still scheduled for June 8th.

I've been passing on suggestions which have been posted here - whether they choose to act on those suggestions is of course their decision...but from what I know about what's planned, compared with what people would like to see, I'm fairly hopeful that a lot of people here will be at least reasonably happy with the content (I think short of offering personal compilations in customers' own choice of packaging, all for free, they'll never keep everyone absolutely happy...but I think they're headed in a good direction).
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 16:50

Ah man,April Fool we`re not telling you anything.Yeah I can see why you`re posting this now rather than tomorrow morning...   :D

Still, thanks for the update Korgscrew it`s sounding promising I must admit.And at least the release date is still the same for the moment.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2009, 16:55

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 31 2009, 22:24)
We're told the people at Universal are still finalising the details, so the date of the press release has been put back until next week to give them time to sort all that out. The release is still scheduled for June 8th.

I've been passing on suggestions which have been posted here - whether they choose to act on those suggestions is of course their decision...but from what I know about what's planned, compared with what people would like to see, I'm fairly hopeful that a lot of people here will be at least reasonably happy with the content (I think short of offering personal compilations in customers' own choice of packaging, all for free, they'll never keep everyone absolutely happy...but I think they're headed in a good direction).

Many thanks for that Richard! Of course I understand some concessions have to made, but I hope to see some cool stuff coming our way.

I forgot to say that I would love to see more live stuff on cd (the live sections from the 1982 concert on the Complete MO were fantastic). The 1980 till 1984 tours did have a very great line-up.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: April 02 2009, 09:21

I think at least a new unique remix of the original "Tubular Bells" which Mike is working on now will be an offering, plus some single b sides and live material too. Hopefully something for all fans there.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 07 2009, 02:45

We are now "until the second week of April"
where are the press release?

Here is 10$ - bring me the head of the yo-yo who is in charge of this project!    :zzz:
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 15:49

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ April 07 2009, 07:45)
Here is 10$ - bring me the head of the yo-yo who is in charge of this project!    :zzz:

It's early yet. The wait will be worth it....
We'll wake you up when there's news  :)
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 06:23

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 31 2009, 22:24)

Is there any confirmation about when the press release would be? Well, the most important is they do a great work so, I think, we can wait if it would be a new delay ;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2009, 08:28

We waited long enough for MOTS after all.I for one am really looking forward to it.Can't wait to see what they manage to find.Live stuff would be huge bonus but also the fabled Pipe Tune (if it really exists-even Virgin are unsure as it was a promo release),Spanish Tune,Wreckorder Wrondo,Mike Oldfield's Single/Froggy and all the other stuff that has ever been officially released on cd.It's potetially a MO fans Xmas's and birthdays all mixed together.Maybe i'm getting too over-optimistic here but we live in hope.
 Funny how new found stuff gives a deeper insight into Oldfield's music.
 To think at one time all we had in the way of compilations was Mike Oldfield's Wonderland.No rarities,badly edited tracks (beginning of Punkadiddle chopped off and large section of the exposed version of the live version of Guilty chopped out)and a load of cuts from QE2 (nothing wrong with this as it was the current album at the time).So really we're all being spoilt rotten in the cd age. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
112 replies since Mar. 19 2009, 14:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net