Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Suggestions for the re-recording of Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 04 2002, 15:57

My wish would be: to prepare a making-of during the re-recording, with some interviews, movies, some moments where Mike recalls his memories of the original recording (on the DVD that would be released, these moments could be in black and white for example).
Mike could show the instruments he used and the ones (probably less, if you don't count the orchestra...) he is using for the re-recording, a bit like what he does with the couch guitar in the Raft video, he could detail a few riffs, like he did in the Gareth Randall interview, etc. There could be an accompanying website during this process, where Mike could interact a little bit with other people, asking for a specific sample for example, or give some tips he just discovered with his instruments or software, or let people know ho wthe project is progressing. Mike probably doesn't need to be as much isolated as he probably want to be when composing, so this could work. It would make a nice documentary.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2002, 23:12

Good idea! Kind of like the Let it Be movie for the beatles.

In regards to the music, I would suggest that he use at least most of the extract he did at the Berlin 2000 concert. I'm really looking forward to it. When was it due to come out?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tokimemo Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2002, 07:31

I'd like Parts One and Two to be tracked as TBII and TBIII but no intros. And 'real' Parts Three and Four. I like Amarok so...!!!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2002, 08:35

Its strange because one of the reasons I was so disapointed with TBII  when it came out was because I was expecting TB parts 3 and 4. Mike had said in many interviews in the years leading up to TBII that he planned to record parts 3 and 4 using the same acoustic and electro-acoustic instruments as the original and have the new follow up album as a continuation of TB rather than a remake. I still think it would have been fantastic if he had done this and very interesting.  

As for the rerecording I would say don't make it to contrived. No Mr Bean, Maggie Thatcher, John Cleese etc. Keep it cool and effortless like the original. Oh and please no track names. Divide it up if you have to ( I don't see why?)  but please no treack names.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 21:41

I like the idea of the DVD. It would be great if it featured a multi-channel version of the new recording or even the old recording as well. True, MO doesn't seem to thrilled about anything more then stereo, but I love the hearing seperation in instruments. Maybe I could hope for a concert recording of this anniversary version put to DVD like TBII/TBIII and TMB. Then it will probably be Dolby 5.1.  (oh yah..... Make it Region 0)

It's unlikely, but the best would have to be if this DVD also played the regular CD stereo version on CD players like a Hybrid SACD. Sony may hold the patent on this kind of multi-layer technology, though.
Profile PM 
Delfín
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 07:06

You Know, I have just rode that Mike has recently learned how to play Northumbrian Bagpipes, so although I don´t know if he'll get to read this I think it would be great that he would play it in the 'guitars sounding like bagpipes' section. I think it'd be nice that he could finally do it 'cos far as I know he used the guitars because he liked bagpipes sounds but they weren't available at the moment.

Other suggestion is he should take the most of a very very drunk night to do again the piltdown man, I think if he makes it sober it can sound really really scary and they would censor it.

I think it would be nice as well to use a very very similar cover art if not the same, in memory of the great Trevor Key who died after he made the cover of TB 2.

I woul be happy to find out these suggestions have been listened and a little mention to Delfín in the 'thanks to' credits.   :)
3lunas
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 13:56

a 5.1 audio version would be fantastic! ... different instruments in different channels, a brand new music experience .. the DVD of Art in heaven sounds wonderful, but at last is only the sound in stereo with the audience in back channels ... we want feel the music around us envolving into a ocean of sounds ...
Tokimemo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2002, 03:13

I know he's not going to do something like this, but I'd like he will re-record with acoustic and electro-acoustic instruments previously unreleased tracks, and excerpts from TB2 and TB3 as Parts Three and Four.

My wishes:
  -Red Dawn
  -Sunset Door
  -Tattoo
  -The Song Of The Boat Men
  -The Spectral Army
  -Indian Lake
  -Mike's Reel
  -Moonwatch
  -Far Above The Clouds

Collaborations:
  -Paddy Moloney
  -Pierre Moerlen
  -Clodagh Simonds
  -Sally Oldfield
Profile PM 
Tubular Cobra Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2002, 15:36

My Mom has a Digital Stero System. And my Mom put in Some Weird CD i didnt like so i wanted to be alone. So My mom Said "You Want To Be In My Room And Play Tubular Bells?" I Said Yes. And I Bought Tubular Bells into her Room and i listened to it. It was Soo Cool! Soo...Awsome! Loads of Rumbles and Stuff. I Remember Small Bits Of it tho. And i Stayed in her Room For Atleast 2 or 3 Hours Playing Tubular Bells.I Dont Want to Spoil the Rest!  :O

--------------
ooo! Look at my Pretty Black Stripes! :D and btw - Mike Oldfield Ownz You!(Well Not Really)
Profile PM WEB 
TheLake Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2002, 08:19

Tubular Bells is a great record but it is very unrythmic. There is no pulse, in contrast to no. II and III and most live versions.

Why not let Simon Phillips play on the re-recording? Not all the time, but at places where drums would fit well in.
He has a very good feeling for what Mike's music is about.

If Simon plays on it I will buy 10 copies without even listening to it first.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 10 2002, 16:26

You're starting to sound like Simon's agent ;)

I personally don't think that the album is lacking in rhythm - it just doesn't have much in the way of drums.
Certainly some of the heavier parts could be given a more conventional 'heavy' feel with some drums added, but I don't think that's what Tubular Bells is about.
I think that important to Tubular Bells is the fact that it doesn't have drums for the most part, because Mike had spent so long stood next to drum kits that he didn't want to hear any more drums...
I think that the album's often floaty and drifting sound is one of the things that make it what it is (but then, I also feel that the sound textures of the electric organs are important, and it seems that Mike doesn't agree...).

For a more lively interpretation, I'd listen to Exposed - it's a good enough recording to keep me happy, and the feel of it could take great pains to duplicate in the studio.

Of course, you don't know what his plans are for the drums in part 2...
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2002, 04:14

I agree about the organs, they are substantial, and I am kind of worried about Mike's plan of replacing them with an orchestra ... But who knows ...
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 08:04

i *hate organs (but thats me)

tho i will admit that i really liked the sound of it on Maya Gold from TB2. but that would probably be the only instance in any music ive heard. the organ just sounds horrible to me. a disgrace to music. im glad he's replacing it with an orchestra which i like much better. it could be that i have yet to get usedto them and admit i like them. ie - it took me a long time to start liking Voyager and QE2. so i may yet spark an affection for them. but for now, no.

sorry if i make some people mad lol

* - 'hate' as in: extremely despise, loath, have a murderous attitude towards, a deep desire to kill/destroy, etc

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2002, 18:37

I agree with Korgscrew and The Man about the organs I think they are quintessencialy part of TB. This is where I start to worry extermely about the rerecording and I do think Mike had better be carefull he doesn't take away as much as as he brings to the new version. The idea of using an orchestra worry's me the idea of John Cleese doing the MCing worry's me infact the whole thing worry's me. TB is so dear to a lot of people's hearts as well as its composers, leave it alone Mike you will be messing about with how people appreciate the original and thats not a good thing.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2002, 10:10

The risk is that those strings end up sounding 'buttery' (is that the english word for 'kitsch'?). I loved the way strings were used in Incantations, but the arrangements on MontStMichael or MB were not very impressing; perhaps I am asking for too much. (However, it should be said that I kind of liked MontStMichael, it has a good mood and a delighted guitar). I am coming from the classical area, with 1000's of hours being spent listening on Sibelius, Bach ... I can't stand arrangements that are nothing but surface, like in most of film music... terrible... For a reference to good orchestration, listen to Sibelius Symphony no. 4, or Bach's 1st Orchestral Suite.

Mike is brillant on a lot of things but I don't give a lot for his orchestration  skills. He is simply not up there with the classical masters when it comes to strings.

Mike has proved that he create high level organ background textures, like now on TL. Hammonds belong to TB.
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2002, 10:39

Here! Here! the Hammond should stay for sure, it's a very distinct sound and i've yet to hear a decent replication of it, he should keep it cos it's a big part of TB
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2003, 17:30

TB in 5.1 format...there's some news on mikeoldfield.com about that..

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 15:08

I hope that he gets hold of a real set of huge tubular bells, rather than using a small set and approximating the sound as he did on Tubular Bells III!

Ollie

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2003, 03:55

Yes! A big huge set of Tublar Bells. To me the original Bells don't sound quite as impressive as they should, and a big new set of bells should fix this. I thought that the bells on Far Above the Clouds sounded amazing, but I suppose that's just because of the way the music builds up to match them. That's one of the problems of the original: the bells didn't seem to be the climax they were meant to be.

Again, this thing about the orchestra comes up, and I have to say that I have heard nothing about it save what I heard on these forums. If Mike were to make such a big change he would tell us in one of his updates, and I'm sure he said somewhere that he was getting the organs out again. I don't know where the rumour came from, but I haven't seen anything to prove it. If anyone has anything substantial about this, could they please put it here, because I for one have not heard anything about it. The organ is a really good instrument in Mike's hands: I'm thinking of the organ parts in Amarok particularly, they just add so much to the music, and it is unthinkable that they be left out.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 14 2003, 09:00

Well I never got it from message boards or rumours...I read it from somewhere reliabale....I don't remember where but I DO remember that it was reliable. Maybe it was Mike's site im not sure...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
20 replies since May 04 2002, 15:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net