Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Subtractular Bells, Bizarre title explained< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 17:53

Last semester I took a course on Computing and Music, part of the college curriculum, and the quality of the classes truly matched my expectations. There were three assignments: one artistic, one theoretical, and one practical. We were free to chose the premise of each one of them, so as the theoretical job I did a (pretty poor) article on VST and similar technologies; the practical job was the construction of a functional optical Theremin; and the artistic job was this. It took me a while to choose the idea, but once this flashed in my head, I had NO way to choose anything else.

There was a minimum limit of 30 seconds and maximum of 60 seconds for each work. A dire limitation for my proposal, but I took it as a challenge. My idea was to make a version of the Tubular Bells intro using exclusively a software simulation of a subtractive synthesizer, using all the techniques we saw on the class.

The work was praised by the teachers, and one of them later played snippets of Big Robot, Little Robot, which was equally lauded, to the class. As a funny curiosity; we had to make a single PowerPoint slide to be shown while the music played, and once the cover of Tubular Bells appeared on the slide, I heard a gasp of reverence by one of the teachers. So, yeah, a classic is always a classic. :)

Subtractular Bells (adaptation by Fernie Canto)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 20:24

Sounds like a videogame from the Eighties, but it's otherwise excellent. Congrats. :cool: :music: Can you extend it into (at least) the whole Introduction piece?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 20:31

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 21 2010, 20:24)
Can you extend it into (at least) the whole Introduction piece?

I guess I definitely could. In fact, I only didn't do it because I got sidetracked by other projects (namely my latest album, and currently something else entirely), but there was an element of challenge in doing that piece that I don't get in doing my own music, and I got really excited by the final product. I think I should try it out.

Looking at it now, I like the aspect of retro-futurism, sort of going back to those records of the early 60's going "listen to the amazing sounds of THE FUTURE". A full-blown attempt could be amusing. Thanks for the tip!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 21:08

Well done Sir M! Wish I could be that creative! You have combined the artistic aspect with lateral thinking and come up with something completely new and yes damn good my friend! Deb
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 16:31

Cool! I bet it would sound even more interesting if it were done with an FM synth instead of subtractive...

@ Ugo: Where'd you get that headphone smiley?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 17:04

Quote (Syd B @ Feb. 22 2010, 21:31)
@ Ugo: Where'd you get that headphone smiley?

: music :     with no spaces will give you :music:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 11:41

Kewl......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wendybunny Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 08:29

I like this one a lot.
It was actually one of the first things I listened to when I first stumbled upon these forums a couple of months ago, so I had to track this thread down now I've registered just to say well done and say that just like Ugo I would love to hear a longer version if you ever have the time and inclination. : )
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 08:56

Thanks a lot!

It's been almost one year since I made this, and I'm still quite fond of this accomplishment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 00:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 21 2010, 17:53)
the quality of the classes truly matched my expectations.

This sentence of course has provoked much discussion in the TSODE thread, in the context of Arthur Clarke's use of it. But I take it you're using the sentence in a positive sense, whereas Clarke probably wasn't?

In any case, I somehow missed this thread, and your piece seems no longer available to be heard online.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 00:50

I listened to this the other day and just again now.
Its really quite good.
Don't really know why but it sounds like Kraftwork doing the Bells.
Nice one Sir M.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2010, 06:59

Visions of space invaders, I like it.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:57

Breakfast in Atari!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
12 replies since Feb. 21 2010, 17:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net