Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Stunning New TB4 Intro Video"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 12 2023, 15:35

According to the official site:

"Last week, Mike Oldfield released his brand new 8-minute version of the Tubular Bells intro, the ‘Tubular Bells 4 Intro’, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the seminal album, Tubular Bells.

To accompany the track, a beautiful new video has been released, portraying the journey and development surrounding Mike’s Tubular Bells masterpiece.

Watch the stunning video now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgdqAd1fR2o

And yet the beautiful, stunning new video is in fact the same 38 seconds looped continuously over the course of 4 minutes...and even those 38 seconds look exactly like something out of the 1987 Wind Chimes video...not even at the level of 2002 Maestro...I can't understand why they would release and vaunt a promo video, calling it "beautiful and stunning", and have it only a 38 second repeating loop of really uninteresting graphics...that moreover doesn't in any way "portray the journey and development of a masterpiece".  At best it briefly recalls the theme of "Five Miles Out".   It's all very strange, I can't really work it out.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 12 2023, 18:06

My guess is that this is something Mike made himself, hence the Wind Chimes similarity. The PR writer’s hyperbole has done him no favours!
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 12 2023, 18:10

And it does kind of vaguely portray the Opus One plane being fashioned out of fragments, then mutating over the sea into the famous bell, which tilts into TB4. It looks like a demo itself - maybe something Mike gave to the label as a guide, not realising they would loop it and put it out rather than, say, give it to a proper animator as inspiration.

There’s a bit of a lackadaisical vibe coming from these recent issuings and I’m not 100% sure it originates with Mike.
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 14 2023, 20:11

I suppose if they haven't got a TB4 to promote, they aren't going to put their all into raising interest in an excerpt from it.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 01:18

This is baffling. Is this clip a half-arsed tribute to the animations Mike used in the 80s?

And in all honesty, the could have paid someone to flesh out a four minute video. It's like they're taking the piss, trying to show just how little they care to promote this.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Happy? Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 04:07

Even the bended tube isn't bended properly...  :/

I don't like the Wind Chimes visuals at all. It's randomly put together stuff. The only video from Mike in which 3D figures really make sense is Shine, back in 1985...

These TB4 visuals are just the lame old same from the 80s with some polish. But I guess it's a demo as well, so the end result might have been stunning indeed. But we'll never know...

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
5 replies since May 12 2023, 15:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net