Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Stomp Boxes,pedals, amps & Guitars, What do you have and settings ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
XEQT Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2008, 05:13

I have not seen any info on setting ?
I like to read about what stompboxes, pedals etc, people use
to get that sound that they like.
I have both a Boss GT-8 and a POD XT Live stompbox.
For Electric guitars i have a Fender Strat vintage(-57) and Variax 600.
I was just thinking if someone was intressting of talking about this ? And maby help out on some of the hard steps on creating stuff
Or maby i am just a freak of sound :p

// XEQT
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 05:43

I like the simplicity of a USA with Texas Specials into Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby to a Marshall compressor (wonderfully called Edward The Comprerssor)into my 1984 MarshallJ CM800 and 4x10 800 series cab.Works for me!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 13:43

I feel like a philistine... I just use whatever sounds good through my multi-effects pedal (Digitech RP-50). It has amp modelling and I also use Amplitube on my laptop to boost/cut/enhance the sounds even more...

Sorry!

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 02:43

To be fair i haven't fired up my amp in ages cos i'm playing in an acoustic treo now.Now it's even simpler.Simon & Patrick C&P6 Spruce and that's it.
 With reference to Ginger Daddy.....if it sounds good it is good!I'm just a snob about gear and since i do use it live rather than for recording it's also more practical and easier to set up.However......i did see John McClaughlan(probably spelt wrong)play his part on the Clapton Crossroads DVD playing his really odd looking guitar into a laptop!

--------------
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 04:13

After playing with the line 6 gear box (same modelling as pod xt) for some months I switched to the Amplitube software. I could indeed not get a good clean sound with the gear box without tweaking a lot and adding a lot of effects : there were no basic sounds (i.e clean without effects) that did not sound *plastic* to me. So I tried the Amplitube software which is not the cheapest on the market (costs more than a pod xt I think). Yet as soon as I installed and ran the demo, I really heard the difference : no need to add effects to get a good clean sound (there are very few bundled with this soft indeed). It does not maybe sound like a real amp, but to my ears it's far more convincing than line 6 modelling stuff.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 14:04

At last someone agrees that Line 6 gear really doesn't sound all that!I'm a real gear snob (i admit it-i love valve amps and see everything else as a wannabe valve amp-ignorant i know)but i was in music shop and tired all this stuff out.There were 2 things that struck me.The Marshall plexi setting even replicated the fartyness of old 4x12 cabs on the low strings if bass was goosed up.That real ugly flapping sound.Accurate yes but not very musical.Also on the same sort of sound the tail of the note is not at all smooth and dies very abruptly.
If i were into home recording the old JCM800 would be really impractible so i'd have to find alternatives,but form what i've heard of Line 6 i'd look elsewhere.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tom Ciderwell Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2020, 03:05

Interesting finding some Line 6 comments above, as I had one delivered to me yesterday.
I'd been looking for a USB guitar amplifier for a while and initially never fancied the Line 6 amps. But now a year on and still without a suitable USB amplifier I decided to take a chance on the Spider V30.

I have to agree with the above comments that the digital bank of fx/amp presets do have a thin, almost 'drastic plastic', sound. That being said, if high quality valve amplifiers are equivalent to a set of oil paints then, the Spider V30 is like having a box of really good colour pencils.

I'm sure there's a good source of inspiration in the Line 6 SV, waiting to be tapped.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 10 2020, 11:12

I think modelling amps like the Line 6 series are good for getting a sense of what an amp and speaker combination will sound like without having to own a roomfull of equipment. And when the Pod first came out - the one shaped like a kidney bean - it was definitely great for guitarists who wanted to be able to practice on headphones, or just get a quick and dirty sound where the guitar wasn't necessarily the focus.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2020, 09:06

I'm thinking of getting a Line 6 Helix some time; has anyone either created or downloaded any authentic "Mike" tones for this? The "First Excursion" solo sound would be good!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Tom Ciderwell Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2020, 20:11

Wow!
Quote (Priabonia @ Oct. 11 2020, 09:06)
"First Excursion"

I went to HMV yesterday to get maybe Platinum or Crises but they didn't have them. I came back with Voyager and Ommadawn instead. Its been many years since I'd listened to 'First Excursion'.

It certainly is good to just plug'n'play!
I'd use an audio (usb) mixer to record fx/guitar and must have spent a small fortune on various guitar leads and jack adapters, patch leads, wallwarts, batteries, chargers, etc...etc...etc. And still there are times when I can't make an fx/chain or connection.
It's enough to drive you bonkers!
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 18:39

Quote (Priabonia @ Oct. 11 2020, 14:06)
I'm thinking of getting a Line 6 Helix some time; has anyone either created or downloaded any authentic "Mike" tones for this? The "First Excursion" solo sound would be good!

First Excursion is so reliant on a loud amp and carefully controlled feedback, it might be a challenge for a stomp-box or modelling effect.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 19:06

If this is the most interesting discussion this forum can come up with, please, shut tubular.net down. Mike Oldfield has clearly had his day.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 19:57

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2020, 18:31

If you can find one secondhand, you can get to lots of Mike's mid-late 90s sounds using a Roland VG-8 or VG-88.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2020, 07:38

I don't use boxes at all tbh. I use a Marshall MG30 amp, one channel for clean sound and one for distortion. I spent too many years worrying about the sound of the guitar, now I concentrate on the playing. The electric guitar is a wonderful instrument, if played with care!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tom Ciderwell Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2020, 11:06

I'm an fx junkie.
30Watts is really too much for my living space as I have neighbours to consider. So I've been looking at guitar attenuators, like the Bad Cat or the two note Torpedoes that will enable high power transferance at reduced volume.
A favourite setup I use is a Laney 3Watt miniamp played into a Sony stereo system.
It gives the sound a good power boost with a soft tone and plenty of volume control.
Profile PM 
15 replies since April 15 2008, 05:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net