Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Stanshall or Cleese< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 10:09

Do you prefer Viv Stanshall or John Cleese's performances as Master of Ceremonies?

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 10:37

Quote (AlexS @ Nov. 09 2005, 15:09)
Do you prefer Viv Stanshall or John Cleese's performances as Master of Ceremonies?

I think it would have to be Stanshall, although Cleese's delivery is amusing in places. I especially like the repetition/echo of the 'mandolin' announcement. A nice touch IMO.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 13:56

Aaah, it's not just me then! I laughed a lot when I first heard the repeated "mandolin". I like it!

Actually I don't have a preference - they both approach it in their own way and each version has its merits. Being a Monty Python fan and all that though, I suppose I have more of an affinity with the Cleese version.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 07:30

Alan Rickman.

What, TBII doesn't count?  Grrrr.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 07:57

Viv wins everytime.However with reference to TBII i have a version with Billy Connolly as MC.Makes me smile everytime.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 13:50

I love Billy Connelly's version.  Just hearing his voice cracks me up.  And as much as I'm a Python fanatic, I've gotta give it to Viv.  The first and still the best.  But I wonder what Cleese would sound like totally blottoed tromping through The Manor at 3:00am.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 13:57

Would he be able  pronounce t anthro....anthroplogk...i mean an eplolog.... :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 16:48

Has to be the full extended Viv.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:04

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 14 2008, 18:57)
Would he be able  pronounce t anthro....anthroplogk...i mean an eplolog.... :laugh:

LOL  :D

For me, it has to be Cleese, as I heard this version first and so have some attachment to it... but yes, either which way, a lovely piece to be exposed to  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:34

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 14 2008, 18:50)
I love Billy Connelly's version.  Just hearing his voice cracks me up.

He came of the road last month in the snow.  He has a yellow Landrover 110.  Not hurt but needed a pull oot o the sticks.  He hasn't got used to our road yet and he's only lived here for 5 years.

I know exactly what he said when it happened.   Faa Foook Saik!

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 21:12

What I wouldn't give to have his hair, too.  It's the coolest.  Mine looks like some Slavic imitation of a demented paratrooper.... :/
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:16

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 14 2008, 17:57)

Embroidery???? :)

For me Viv all the way   :) .  I love John Cleese/Monty Python humour, but as MoC John just doesn't deliver, I think he tries to be too serious, but if he were to add some "ministry of Silly Walks"or Dead Parrot type humour that would be so cool  :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Lq771TVm4

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 08:35

Wasn't it Viv Stanshall and Mike who did the drunken version for the boxed set? That version is the best by far!!  :D

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 10:35

Quote (Ratty @ Mar. 31 2008, 13:35)
Wasn't it Viv Stanshall and Mike who did the drunken version for the boxed set? That version is the best by far!!  :D

it wasnt specifically for the Boxed set, it was always intended for the original, but the powers in charge were afraid to release it. MO being unknow artist at the time so he was asked to Tone it down. But yes i have to agree this drunken tromp through the Manor is great. Especially with headphones on, you can really hear the music going around in circles.

Have never really taken to Cleese's version, i think he tried to hard to be funny, (Love the guy, but didnt like this). I think Alan Rickman was good as the MC in TB2. Would have liked to hear someone like Richard Burton (Just think of War of the Worlds without him) or Anthony Hopkins as MC.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 17:31

Has to be V.S. - because there is just something about being part of the original effort - and he was an inspired loon (love the Bonzos).

However, one of the fun things about doing it again - or other later developments of it - is selecting other alternate, and appropriate voices to substitute for Viv (as if anybody really could). I reckon - without knowing beforehand - many of us would also have drawn up a list that included Billy Connolly; John Cleese; Alan Rickman; Anthony Hopkins; Sean Connery (perhaps?); James Earl Jones; Stephen Fry; Tom Jones ... or perhaps even some ladies a varied as: Maya Angelou; Kate Bush; Judi Dench; Joan Bakewell; or perhaps even The Queen?!!! (as if)...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 02:55

Buggered if I know...... :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 03:47

I think both Viv and John do a great job, but the orignal is the best for me if I had to choose, however the 'drunk' version always makes me smile, just to think what you could get away with back in those days, imagine if someone did that now?  :O
Profile PM 
16 replies since Nov. 09 2005, 10:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net