Topic: Speak... The worst Oldfield's tune!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 18:55

Oh but what can I say!!!! eek

For the sake of Ray Morello...It´s just a sheat of muse-eeek!!!! eek

Oh what a disgrace of song!!! eek

What d'ya theank forks?? confused

For me it´s a terrible, failury song with unlucky vocal attempts...it hardly scapes from ridiculity...a pity 'cos the album is O.K.- a 70's like Voyager,maybea. smile

Then...express you opiñons if you feel able to doo... wink

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 19:00

You, of all people, Delfín! I thought you had some sense of humor...
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 08:54

No need to be so harsh Delfin. The song itself isn't that bad. Besides, this version was probably just made for fun anyway.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 16:12

rolleyes

Oh, pleeeease...!

rolleyes

Don´t be angry with me...I like that song...the worst Mike´s is better that most of other´s best... tongue

I know it was made for fun...as well as my topic! I make music of my own...You wouldn´t credit how I laugh about it...I write critical documents to bring down it, speaking about it´s mediocrity or emptyness...but, of course, I´m talking about my "funny" music, not the serious one...you know...

I like Speak...but I like Laugh sometimes as welll!!!!

With apologies frown

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 19:59

Mike was asked in an interview what was the worst record he has made and he answered:
"Speak (Vision Of The Night), with David Bedford"

There Delfin, hows that for affirmation?

You can find the full article on "Pat's Mike Oldfield Site", it was a questionaire that Mike was asked to fill out.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2001, 04:39

Since we're discussing Boxed now, what does everone think of "The Rio Grande". I happen to love it. I think it was originally a sea-shanty or something, but the style it's been put in seems to fit it perfectly as well - almost as if it was made to be performed like that. (not too sure about the
song's origin - tell me if you know).

The song always reminds me of Robin Hobb's "Ship of Magic". Anyone else have similar reactions?
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2001, 13:28

Oh, come on, rosko!!!

This topic is for talking about SPEAK, and not the first song that goes into your mind!!!

BLEEEEEESSMOMS!! mad

E´ll, as you can imagine, I´m only joking. I love that sweet and softy song. The think I like most in it is the guitar solo just after the choir stops singing and a silence comes. I think it´s as tender and sensitive as any other Mike´s work, with a sense of deep harmony and peace. Just before 'First Excursion' abruptly breaks with the piano!!

I didn´t know it, Bennyboy, and I will reach for it at the time I can... thankyou!!!

I have one more thing to tell you:

biggrin

That´s all.

Delfín.

--------------
Profile PM 
72-366
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2001, 09:36

Just listened to "Speak"... very odd stuff!
Funny. How come these odd tracks were included on "Boxed" in the first place?

It started with only Bedford I guess? So Mike's voice was heard later in the right channel?
rosko Offline

Posted: June 06 2001, 13:01

The vinyl version of Boxed has all the extra tracks on a single LP entitles "Collaborations". It's basically a collection of tracks on which Mike collaborated with other artists or was a guest performer on their work (eg. David Bedford). That's the reason why those tracks are included on Boxed.
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: June 06 2001, 16:32

Still I'm not sure who sings what part in "Speak"?

They must have had fun when they recorded this, trying to sing opera when they can't! :-)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2001, 17:49

Interesting you think it's like opera...

I really didn't know what to think of Speak at first...then I heard a recording of Noel Coward on the radio and it all clicked into place - it sounds like a parody of him. Not sure if it's intentional or not.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 08 2001, 06:27

No Hillbilly, it's Mike who's the first to sing. Throughout the whole track Mike is in the left channel while David is in the right.

btw - while this version was probably just for fun, it's not that bad a song. The lyrics section of tubular web says it's by Ray Morello and Horatio Nicholls. Does anyone know anything else about it's source?
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2001, 17:57

Can't help it: when I listen to that, I always think of a Monty Python or Leslie Nielsen movie, with crashing cars, aeroplanes & rockets in slow-motion... Sorry Mike!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 13:46

I think Mike likes that. biggrin

Delfín>

--------------
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 17:07

speheeeek!...spheeeeeeeek!...spheeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!...pass me some more red wine david!...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: May 03 2002, 06:09

I really love Mike's guitar solo on The Rio Grande - I love the way he harmonises with the vocalists.
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: May 19 2002, 13:47

Besides, where can I get Speak in midi or real audio format?
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 25 2003, 10:27

"Speak" is a good song. has a little bit 30's or 20's taste. Like the songs that they played in restaurants or pubs 80 years ago on piano...Mike's vocals are good,David's also...
It makes me relax,i really like it. It is one of really interesting early stuff that Mike made.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: July 27 2003, 10:49

Speak is a great and funny song!! I really like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: July 28 2003, 08:20

Ok I will make an apology to everyone I'm going to offend with my comments now to save having to do it later. ;)

There aren't many Mike Oldfield tracks I don't like. In fact Speak and "Saved By A Bell" are the only two I can say I really hate. But Speak is just a horrible, horrible, horrible song. It stinks, sucks and blows all at the same time. It is just so bad it is embarrassing. And that’s putting it mildly.

I know it is meant to be humorous like many early tracks such as Froggy and Don Alfonso. Both of which I really like. But it goes beyond a joke and the singing is simply atrocious. I cringe every time I hear (Bedford’s I think) voice crack as he sings "and I'll follow".

The sad thing is I actually like the tune and I think the piano playing is acceptable. I think it would be one of my favourite tracks if it had been taken seriously.

Kevin Ayers would have made the perfect vocalist on this track. As Korgscrew noted earlier it is it does sound like a Noel Coward parody/tribute and Ayers does have this rich, deep, posh sounding voice that would have worked perfectly on this track. Listen to the "Ballard Of Mr. Snake" from "Yes We Have No Mananas" to see what I mean.

Gandalph.

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
33 replies since Feb. 05 2001, 18:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net