Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Space Movie - Restored Edition to be Released, includes Director's Cut Bonus Movie DVD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 25 2015, 08:53

A newly restored and complete edition of Mike Oldfield's and Tony Palmer’s The Space Movie will be released on 16 October. It comes complete with the Director's Cut bonus DVD of the movie. From the website:

"This classic film was originally commissioned by London Weekend Television and Virgin in 1979to mark the 10th Anniversary of the first landing on the moon, July 21st 1969. A recent discovery of a print in mint condition has enabled us to issue the film in a sparkling new (and complete! ) edition."

Click here for ordering details and for background information surrounding the development of this work.

Thanks to Chris Worland and Nacho Marin for alerting us to this release!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 25 2015, 11:21

Good news !
I wonder if we get the Soundtrack version edited by Phil Newell for the 2xLP release (Acetate only) or the original score used for the movie and later DVD releases.
Unfortunately the unreleased Incantations Part IV bit with vocals ("A Spell For Creation" - poem by Kathleen Jessie Raine) does not appear in Phil Newell's edit...
Profile PM 
nurofeg Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 01:29

No blu-ray ???  :(

--------------
Searching for:
SURFING (promo cd single) 2005 - SURFCJ1  
MONT ST. MICHEL (promo cd single) 1996 - PRCD363
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2015, 10:46

Quote (nurofeg @ Aug. 26 2015, 06:29)
No blu-ray ???  :(

Doubtful. Despite remastered HD sources of most of the original NASA film stock being available for some time, to use them in this documentary would mean sourcing these and completely re-editing the film. Very expensive, time consuming and probably not cost effective.
One can only hope a better master of the documentary can be found this time, as the last issue was dreadful.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2015, 10:29

The picture has been restored but I bet the sound hasnt .
Its a Gonzo release ,Ive got a couple of Rick Wakeman DVDs from Gonzo and the sound is dreadful .
Lets hope this is better .
Has Mike had anything to do with remastering this ?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2015, 10:01

Judging by the reports on the Mike Oldfield on Record FB page, this seems to be another underwhelming Gonzo release ...

Mike Oldfield on Record
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2015, 14:19

Can someone tell me if the bonus DVD released with this soundtrack is NTSC or PAL?  Does anyone know for certain?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2015, 11:00

Quote (TubularUSA @ Oct. 06 2015, 14:19)
Can someone tell me if the bonus DVD released with this soundtrack is NTSC or PAL?  Does anyone know for certain?

Just bought it, just played the first ten minutes, and just remembered your question.  The back cover has an ALL/NTSC logo on it, so the DVD should theoretically work wherever play is pressed. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2015, 13:43

Thanks!  That's what I was hoping for!  Mine's preordered, but not expected to be released until Friday 10/23.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2015, 10:23

As you have played it , whats it like ?
Is it  all the music in uncut form cleaned up or just the film sound on cd ?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2015, 17:10

Film sound on CD, spark, which does mean it's a bit all over the place!  One 78 minute long track with all of the film's audio.  Mono only which won't suit the tastes of everyone.  The quality is good to my ears, but it's long established that I'm not much of an audiophile... ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2015, 03:58

Oh dear!

I remember this being shown on TV in 1979.  No VCRs in those days (unless you were fabulously rich) so declined an invitation to go out with my friends and settled down to watch it with a microphone put by the TV speaker to record the soundtrack onto a reel to reel recorder.

36 years on, this sounds like they have somehow got hold of my recording and put it onto a CD.  This feels like such a missed opportunity as, in the soundtrack, there are extracts of unreleased material (orchestral Hergest Ridge, for example) and out-takes (in particular, the part of Incantations that starts at 8:07 which is sung rather than the screaming guitar that made the final cut (and was criminally left out on the 'Exposed' tour)).  

What I was hoping for was a decent quality soundtrack CD without all of the voices/sounds etc. that are on the film.  What we get is a straight rip of the soundtrack, warts and all.

The insert sleeve is quite informative although it does contain some questionable statements; in particular, this quote from Tony Palmer:

In fact, his album of Incantations was eventually released before our film was finished.  And although I think he would not forgive me for saying so, I think the 'mix' we used was occasionally rather better

I beg to differ!

If you are an Oldfield collector who has to have every item ever released in your collection, then I suppose that £10.00 isn't too bad.  Otherwise, don't waste your money.
Profile PM 
mountie926 Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2015, 10:50

I received the CD/DVD yesterday. What a dissapointment!

The DVD content is great as I've never seen that movie in full length. But the CD is bad. It is indeed just the audio rip from the DVD with all the voices and sounds. I could have done that myself.

The authoring of the DVD is also pretty mediocre. Only one chapter for the whole movie. And the CD is also only one big 78 minute track. Very unprofessional.

There must be the master tapes used for the movie soundtrack somewhere. These should have been used for the soundtrack.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2015, 09:35

Just received mine as well.  For some reason I had high hopes for the soundtrack to be high quality versions of Orchestral Hergest Ridge, OTB, etc.  Usually when you buy soundtracks, you hear the raw music, uninterrupted and no movie dialog.  This is not the case unfortunately.  I even went through the trouble to rip this onto my ipod last night so I could listen to this the first time in the car.  I was horrified to hear that this is not even in stereo.  Good grief, this is 2015!  This may as well have been DVD only.

As a big fan, I guess I would want to own this regardless, and I will probably watch the DVD (happy it's at least NTSC) but the soundtrack will just collect dust in my collection.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Aug. 25 2015, 08:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net