Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sonic VR Demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2001, 14:32

The Sonic VR website has been updated with a 687K demo for Windows of the project.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 11:54

I just downloaded the Sonic VR demo and was quite dissapointed! I was excited with the idea but find the demo rather behind the times and certainly not making use of the programming skills that are available today.
To move around was very frustrating as one little click of the left mouse button sent me plunging into purple with little hope of finding the start sign again.
The movement is very jerky (my system is pretty good and gives smooth movement in the latest 3D games).
If this project is to be a success, in my humble opinion, then the graphics engine needs serious changing so these bugs will not distract from the overall enjoyment of the experience.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 11 2001, 14:31

I downloaded the SR demo. I don't know maybe it's my machine, but the first screen with an intro from Mike was on and off so fast, I couldn't read it. Nor could I move around in the landscape. The frames changed slowly, by themselves. Disappointed, is an understatement.
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 03:55

I must say that I think the demo is very nice. It is just 600 K, and it worked out just fine on my computer. I think that with music, and more things to do in a LOT bigger world, it will be a great day when it's finished.

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 04:58

lagany - if it ran slow, your pc must be slow.

I think the demo is great. True, the landscape is a bit sterile, but it's only a demo. With heaps more detail and with Mike's music I'm sure it will be great.

btw - anyone tried looking at the corners of the message block?
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 05:06

Also, this isn't actually the full demo. That's still coming early April. This one's mainly just an engine test, so don't be too quick to judge.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 11:08

I've got a P3 450, with 256Mo RAM... and it runs slow. not only slow but very very very very slow. Incredibly slow...
It must be my gfx card. Only 4Mb, and it's an old ATI 3D Rage Pro. Too bad, because it works perfectly find with some other stuff...

Cheers,
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 17:54

I don't understand the bad attitude almost everyone has to SVR. I certenly not can't wait any longer.

The demo looked perfect to me. I have a P2 400 Mhz 128 Mb RAM and a Riva TNT 2 Ultra graphic card. It just float perfect. Npthing wrong at all. Imagine the stuff when it's all completed!

Everywhere this project is being talked down in the shit. Almost everyone at The Amarok mailainglist seems to hate the project. In the newsgroup no one is especially excited about it, and most of my MO friends on the icq does not like it either. Whats wrong with you guys? HELLO, It is MO who's comming up with something new! Stop this nonsens with all craptalk, his a pioneer for god sake. You should apriciate waht the man in trying to do.

And to you GMOVJ!
Try to change your graphiccard instead of dissing the project. I'm shore it will work perfectly if you do taht. Just as it does on my computer!

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 04:23

Hmm, I'not sure I've 'dissed' the project, this is your interpretation of my words. My words were very respectfull. Did you read "This f*****g project is crap, graphics are as bad as 'Pacman' ones, flying simulation is like 'Space Invaders', I hate Mike for this, go back to the roots Mike etc..." ? If yes, buy some glasses and read again please. I only said : It don't work with my old gfx card. I did not judge or condemn anything.

Mike and his team said that they would like to be warned about this kind of things. So please don't be so rude with others.

I'm very pleased that it works fine with your computer. I just pointed :
1 - it don't work with 'my' computer,
2 - even if it's a pretty good computer.
3 - but I've got a old gfx card
4 - so this is not SVR wich is involved in this slow performance on 'my' computer
-> a good gfx card is not only highly recommanded, but essential to run the SVR correctly.

If some don't like this project, it may be because with their old hardware, they could runs some 3D things very fast, with beautiful results, with beautiful songs without having to change this gfx card... Even some emulated amiga's things have better results thant this demo. That's is not an insult. This is just an information.

Now, my personnal case :
If i don't change my gfx card, it's because it's not my computer.
My previous post was a respectfull reply to rosko : my PC is not that we could call slow, but SVR is slow (0.1 fps)... And i'm sad to have to buy another gfxcard to run it.

Cheers, GMOVJ

PS : Btw, I'm sure that Mac user will laugh soooooo loud when they will read this topic ! wink wink wink wink... If they did this SVR on Apple computer, no mac user would have complain about low perf !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Orion69 Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 07:24

Hello everyone. smile
....My first comment on Tubular Forum..... good luck to myself.... and to my tottering English. biggrin

...Hmmm...Ok!!..it doesn't matter how slow is a PC, but how fast is the graphic card. I've tried the demo on a old Pentium90 with a Creative Exxtreme graphic card......and I got more than 40fps. That card has a native OpenGL support. On my present PC the result is just a little bit different.. biggrin... I get 0.5fps with a 3dfx graphic card. No doubt.....a great graphic engine. smile However it's only a little test.....I hope.
All above is IMHO..... and I paid the Exxtreme card something like USD 15.... P90 + Exxtreme card could be called "Jurassic" in 2001, but it works fine with SVR demo....re-hmmm.... biggrin

Thanks to all the forum's people.....

Greetings.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 09:01

Please forgive me GMOVJ, it was not my meaning to affend you or diss you. My post was not to you persenly, just the bottom line that was adressed to you. And I'm sorry if I missed that it was your workcomputer and understand if you don't have a better graphiccard in it.

My post was pointing to the mass of SVR dissers. As I have written in my previous post my opinion is based on my experience from postings in the Amarok mailign list and the MO newsgroup. Couse there is the public opinion very pesimistic about the project.

So once again GMOVJ, i'm sorry. It wasn't ment for you persenly.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Stephan Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 09:23

As the mp3 's on Sonic VR the graphic demo has a very low standard. I can't imagine who should pay for this ?
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 10:43

sorry Thomas, reading it once again, my 2nd post was maybe too much agressive... The main thing I meant is :
Quoting Orion69

Hmmm...Ok!!..it doesn't matter how slow is a PC, but how fast is the graphic card.

Cheers, GMOVJ
Ps : just for biggrin, I tried SVR-Demo on a quadriprocessor (P3 950 Mhz) server, with 4Go RAM ... and it's still slow wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 11:21

Hi every one...
For my part, I'm still waiting the real demo...
But, I don't want to leave GMOVJ alone, so here is my personnal 'config' :
PII 333 Mhz, 64Mo RAM and a Voodoo2 graphic card and it's extremely slow... But I've read somewhere that it won't work with some Voodoo2 cards and it will be fixed soon. So wait and see...

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 12:31

Rosko. Yes, I have shaw the corners of the message block. It's very curious. I think I can see flowers there.

I have been playing in all the litle world, going up in the sky and hunting the objects. I see very well the demo, and I hope that all the SVR will be in the shop, not only on Internet.
peralta Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 12:49

The flower is a texture which is located in the texture folder.
I think you can play with them.
Bye.
Profile PM 
seliador Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 10:14

Hi!

I've got an Athlon 900 with a GeForce 2 MX GFX-Card and 256 MB RAM, and I got 70 fps.

I don't like this demo. OK - for less than 700KB this is very good. 3D-Game-Demos have got 150 MB and more...

But at this point I would't buy SVR. I hope the final version will be much better, cause a piece like that should have better graphics than a 3D-Game. To shorten the time waiting for final SVR (i hope it'll be good) i just buyed Mike in Concert (Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells II & III Live DVD). It's the first time i saw Mike live and I think it's great! But I missed add-ons like a biographie, pictures oder an interview.
Profile PM WEB 
peralta Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2001, 05:12

PIII 600, 256Mb RAM, S3 Savage4-32bits

60-170 fps
average 120 fps, really fast.

Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2001, 23:53

For what is was, the demo was good. Now I'm no expert on these things, but I thought that the landscape, though a tad empty, looked alright. My only wibble is the lack of sound, but that should be corrected soon in the full demo anyway, and the jerkiness of the demo, but that is the computer I used to view the demo, and not the fault of SVR.

I've only had a short look at it, but from what I've seen, it's alright. Not crap like most people have been saying.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Osiris Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2001, 08:18

I do think that with music, this project will be really great. Don't forget that what you saw is just a Demo... It'll be amazing.
By the way, did you notice the picture used for the reflections ? you can see it at the bottom of the block with the text, on the small spheres: it's a nice garden with pink flowers, and there's a house behind. smile
I'm very impatient to see the final version in a few weeks. smile
-oSiRiS-
Profile PM 
23 replies since Mar. 09 2001, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net