Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Songs you skip, What tracks (if any) you always skip on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 04:28

Most of the songs post Discovery I don`t listen to at all.It`s not so much the songs themselves really,more the style and production of them that are just not too my tastes.Apart from that there`s very little that I "always" skip,depends on my mood really.Even now sometimes I`ll listen to something of Mike`s that I`ve convinced myself I`m not too keen on, and then I end up enjoying it.Plus I find it nigh on impossible to skip sections from Mike`s longer pieces as I feel it disturbs the flow and actual construction/point of it too much.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 05:10

To be honest I only listen to Arrival and Wonderful Land on QE2 because IMO Mike's covers sound better, but I don't like the other synth / vocoder type music from back then. I can't understand the lyrics! Deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 15:31

Saved By a Bell. Skip, please. Guilty. Skip please. Heaven's Open(He cant sing) skip please...The rest I'm peachy with. Horseback was fine. He could sing there(Hergest herb is known to heal arthritis and cause voice changes from my liquor store informants).

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 19:00

Interesting topic.

TB/TB2003 : Nothing.
HR : Nothing.
Ommadawn : Nothing.
Incantations : Part One & Two (except the end).
Platinum : Nothing. (but for me, Platinum 1-4 Live (from The Complete) is the best)
QE2 : Nothing, except Conflict and QE2 sometimes.
FVO : Nothing.
Crises : Nothing. (Yes, the end of Foreign Affair is too long)
Discovery : Nothing.
TKF : a lot of parts...  :/
Islands : This album sounds now a little bit cheesy but the songs are good, so... : Nothing, except When The Night's On Fire.
Earth Moving : Runaway Son, and sometimes Nothing But/BTP.
Amarok : Nothing.
TB2 : Nothing.
TSODE : Nothing

And now the "What-happened-to-Mike-?!-albums" (sorry, guys) :

Voyager : Nothing. This album is not bad but... boring...
TB3 : Nothing, but for me this is not a real "TB album".
Guitars : Out Of Sight, B. Blues. Minor album...
TMB : The whole thing !  :laugh: A nightmare ! More seriously, I really like : Peace On Earth, Broad Sunlit Uplands, Liberation. All the rest is commercial crap !
Tres Lunas : To Be Free ! The worst horror from Mike :laugh: ... and a lot of other songs... Boring...  :zzz:
Light+Shade : a lot of things...  
MOTS : a lot of things... The old recycled TB ideas are just so easy and stupid...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 20:43

Quote (Scatterplot @ Feb. 10 2010, 15:31)
Heaven's Open(He cant sing) skip please...T

Sacrilege! I think he does an excellent singing job on this one - the lessons really paid off. He sounds confident, assured, his voice bursting with power - in perfect keeping with the subject matter of the song.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 03:30

Hey Nightspore I love Heaven's Open. One of the first MO songs I heard when I discovered his music. I think his vocals are pretty damn good. Its a pity he lost confidence in his ability to sing. Ok some songs like Guilty I can't warm to, but plenty I do love! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 03:45

Funnily enough HO is about the only song on the whole album that i like.I don't think Mike's a natural singer though and his vocals sound laboured on a lot of the songs.He himself says the same so that's why he doesn't sing anymore.Although at least it's better than the nasal folk voice from his days in Sallyangie! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 04:30

The first time I heard Heaven`s Open on the radio I actualy thought it was Barry Palmer.Yeah I was in the car at the time and it was medium wave,so you`ve got to take some of that into consideration I guess.Heaven`s Open is the only song I really like from the album.I agree with Lars earlier in that it is a bit "Eurovision" and although I think Mike does do his utmost with the singing,it does come over somewhat forced I`d agree with that.That said though that whole style of singing is a big turn off for me anyway,so it`s difficult to be subjective.At the end of the day he could`ve used Barry Palmer or Roger Chapman or Jim Price and I have no doubt I would`ve probably felt the same way.All in all though,the sheer strength of the song wins out for me,I`d say it`s one of his best songs.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 08:00

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 11 2010, 03:45)
Funnily enough HO is about the only song on the whole album that i like.I don't think Mike's a natural singer though and his vocals sound laboured on a lot of the songs.He himself says the same so that's why he doesn't sing anymore.Although at least it's better than the nasal folk voice from his days in Sallyangie! :laugh:

I think that while a mass audience can let Phil Collins (or even Peter Gabriel) get away with being a singer they should leave Mr O alone! I agree with Cave and Deb about HO being the standout song - the others don't have nearly as much feeling, and "Make Make" sounds downright forced and trivial. Still, "Music from the Balcony" also makes up for any weaknesses.

On the subject of bad vocals, I think Rachel Sweet would have to be the worst. Anyone remember her? (I hate this song!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Cq_yCtkCY
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 08:04

Actually, Rachel Sweet isn't the worst. I think Steve Howe's vocals on his solo albums (particularly Beginnings) are the absolute bottom of the barrel.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 08:10

Only heard one of his albums once.Terrible vocalist!

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 16:32

As I see that we're getting off topic :D, well, let me mention a guy who I consider one of the best songwriters of all time, yet IMHO the worst vocalist of all time: Mr. Tom Waits. Not even Dylan writes such good songs sung in such a bad voice. :D I think that Waits' "Tom Traubert's Blues", also known as "Waltzing Matilda", is ten thousand times better in Rod Stewart's version. Same goes for "Downtown Train" and "Martha" sung by Meat Loaf.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 18:28

I'm not the skipper type. Not just Mike; when I really enjoy a band I try to understand every song of each album because I think they deserve that. Some albums have every songs perfect, some other are more balanced between good and normal songs. But I always listen to the whole album to give a chance to the songs I like less, maybe they will grow on me more with the time.

Back to Mike, I found only one song that I actually skip 100% of the time: the last song from Tres Lunas, the #14 "bonus track" To Be Free Radio Edit, which is essentially the same as #7 on the album. In fact, can anyone tell me the difference between the two tracks?
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 19:24

Quote (Drealm @ Feb. 11 2010, 18:28)
I'm not the skipper type. Not just Mike; when I really enjoy a band I try to understand every song of each album because I think they deserve that. Some albums have every songs perfect, some other are more balanced between good and normal songs. But I always listen to the whole album to give a chance to the songs I like less, maybe they will grow on me more with the time.

I agree with you. Albums are (or used to be anyway) intended to be a single work of art, enjoyed as a whole. Of course that's all changed with the advent of the iTunes download.  :/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2010, 19:31

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 11 2010, 16:32)
As I see that we're getting off topic :D, well, let me mention a guy who I consider one of the best songwriters of all time, yet IMHO the worst vocalist of all time: Mr. Tom Waits. Not even Dylan writes such good songs sung in such a bad voice. :D I think that Waits' "Tom Traubert's Blues", also known as "Waltzing Matilda", is ten thousand times better in Rod Stewart's version. Same goes for "Downtown Train" and "Martha" sung by Meat Loaf.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten Waits and Dylan. Agreed, Ugo. ("Where Ugo I go too", to paraphrase Peter Gabriel!;)

Still, that first Steve Howe album is pretty bad vocally. His follow-up was marginally better, but it's still cringe-worthy.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 03:32

@ Drealm: as I said in another thread, the only difference between "original" and "radio edit" is that the latter is shorter. :)

@ nightspore: thanks for the joke on my name, you're a genius. :) Of course it's not new - I saw it several times in the good ol' days of the chats in the IRC channel. But it's good.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 04:09

Mike's a great singer! The problem with Heaven's Open for me is not the vocals, it's the song.

BTW "skipping" isn't skipping a weird concept put in relation to the Killing Fields? That album is so soundtrack-ish that it barely lends itself to listening back to end.

Perhaps a different topic, but here are a bunch of tracks from truly great albums that I usually skip:

Within You Without You (Beatles: Sergeant Pepper)
Oh, Darling! (Beatles: Abbey Road)

Atrocity Exhibition (Joy Division: Closer)

Stay (Pink Floyd: Obscured by Clouds)
Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd: Piper at the Gates of Dawn)

Bummer in the Summer (Love: Forever Changes)

And You And I (Yes: Close to the Edge)

The Battle of Epping Forest (Genesis: Selling England...)

And Then (Depeche Mode: Construction Time Again)

Nine While Nine (Sisters of Mercy: First and Last and Always)

May I (Kevin ayers: Shooting at the Moon)

Moon in June (Soft Machine: vol III. Sorry Robert...)

The last track of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. Remarkable considering the perfect final track from the previous album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 06:02

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 12 2010, 04:09)
And You And I (Yes: Close to the Edge)

Moon in June (Soft Machine: vol III. Sorry Robert...)

Really? "And You and I" is the best piece Yes ever did, in my opinion. As for the "Moon in June", that's the only Soft Machine track I've heard that was in any way enjoyable. Certainly it's the only piece on Third that didn't send me to sleep. ("Slightly All the Time" was the worst, for me.)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 06:37

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 12 2010, 04:09)
Within You Without You (Beatles: Sergeant Pepper)
May I (Kevin ayers: Shooting at the Moon)

Within Without You is one of my favourite tracks on the album (ok it only features George and none of the other Beatles).But then i'm a sucker for Indian music.Personally i always skip With A Little Help and When I'm 64.
Love the bass line on May I.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 19:04

Quote (Syd B @ Feb. 11 2010, 19:24)
Quote (Drealm @ Feb. 11 2010, 18:28)

I agree with you. Albums are (or used to be anyway) intended to be a single work of art, enjoyed as a whole. Of course that's all changed with the advent of the iTunes download.  :/

I think the arrival of cds and remote controls made skipping songs a habbit not itunes besides with itunes low bit rate itunes should be skipped
Profile PM 
56 replies since Feb. 09 2010, 04:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net