Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Songs you skip, What tracks (if any) you always skip on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 04:14

For me it would be track two of amarok (haha)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 04:34

Hey milamber, are you being tongue in cheek - there is only one track  :).

I prefer instrumentals, so I skip some of the songs.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 05:19

Arrival on qe2 and I got rhythm on platinum...strange that both are pieces of music not composedby Mike...I suppose I am a bit of a purist at heart, neither sound like they have a place on either album to my ears.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 05:34

I agree Bee I G R  is a skipper to be sure and though arrival is a low point QE2 is still a F***ing fantastic album so underrated its a crime  . For me Qe2 remaster with (hopefully) some bonus is one i cant wait for.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 06:51

Really? Mike's version of "I Got Rhythm" is the only version I like. I generally hate Gershwin.

Mike's pieces that I skip? Like Ugo, the whole of The Killing Fields, except for "Etude", "Family Man" from FMO, "Nightshade" from LaS, "Foreign Affair" and "In High Places" from Crises, "A New Beginning" from TSoDE. Sometimes I leave out "Pacha Mama" and "The Doge's Palace" from TMB.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:06

Foreign Affair -- the album is amazing, but that songs SERIOUSLY gets on my nerves. It's not really bad, but the verse repeated six times in a row is a joke.

Magic Touch -- possibly the most awful combination of the most awful sounds the 80's ever gave us.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:42

Hey Sirt M it was the 80's.A helluva lot of songs by other artists had those same sounds.
 As for Crises i actually love the whole album.I know it may be viewed as sacrilige but i tend to skip On Horseback.Sometimes i'm in the mood but other times i'm really not.A New Beginning always gets skipped
Saved By A Bell always gets skipped.Never liked it.
 I'm the other way with TKF.I like the whole album except Etude.And again with QE2 i like Arrival (he grudingly admits as it's an ABBA song....shudder).
 And Family Man is skipped 99% of the time.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 09 2010, 07:06)
Foreign Affair -- the album is amazing, but that songs SERIOUSLY gets on my nerves. It's not really bad, but the verse repeated six times in a row is a joke.

Magic Touch -- possibly the most awful combination of the most awful sounds the 80's ever gave us.

Yes, it's the sixfold repetition of the verse in "Foreign Affair" that annoys me too.

I find "Magic Touch" so silly that I quite like it - precisely because it's so laughable.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:49

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 09 2010, 07:42)
I know it may be viewed as sacrilige but i tend to skip On Horseback.

Interesting psychological profile building up here, Cave... Given that the liner notes of Boxed refer to "On Horseback" as a "children's ditty", or words to that effect, it's becoming clear that it's not that you dislike the W*****s as such but children's songs in general.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:51

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 09 2010, 07:42)
Hey Sirt M it was the 80's.A helluva lot of songs by other artists had those same sounds.

Yeah, I know, and I hate them all!...

... okay, well, not exactly. I hate the sound of that whiny guitar, those LARGER THAN LIFE boomy drums, the voice of the singer and the backing vocals, and that's pretty much the formula for the 80's power ballad. And for me to like a song like that, it's got to be phenomenally well written. Unfortunately, Magic Touch is really very generic.

The songs on Heaven's Open are also fairly generic, but Mike didn't go overboard with the LARGER THAN LIFE sound, and the result is overall more authentic.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:52

Ah but i do have a soft spot for your other fellow countryman "Can you guess who it is yet?".And i'm a big fan of The Muppets.Plus i can recite every song for every character from Camberwick Green.Trumpton and Chigley.So it's not all kids songs......just the Bloody Wiggles!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:54

Talking of bad drum sounds Sir M,Charleston has that wonderful 'whacking a beach ball with a stick' sound.Now that's a naff sound.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 07:57

This could all end in tears :/  -   

I listen to "Crises", skip "Moonlight Shadow", listen to "In High Places", skip "Foreigne Affair", listen to "Taurus 3", skip "Shadow on the Wall."

Also - I love "Camberwick Green", "Trumpton" and "Tales of the Riverbank." :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 11:52

My Favourite programmes as a child were Trumpton,Camberwick Green and Chigley.

All together now "Here is a box,a musical box.Wound uo and ready to play.But this box can hide a secret inside.Can you guess who is in it today?".

Bought the complete box set for all 3.For my children of course. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 12:20

I skip all of the Crises album. :laugh:
Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 13:17

This might be off-topic, but on my well-loved collection of Scott Joplin rags, I almost always skip "the entertainer" because it's bloody everywhere.  It's still good, so I will listen to it occasionally.  It can't hold a candle to Wall Street Rag, though.  Or Bethena.  Or Heliotrope Bouquet.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 13:44

Tales of the riverbank - now we're talking, simply superb! And it was in black & White which added to it's appeal. Such a charming innocence about it. Very much lacking in today's 'let's's stimulate the children' vein of entertainment. To my mind this explains why many children - not all - are restless and unable to concentrate. Constantly waiting for the next big high of information input. They seem dissatisfied with what real life has to offer. ADHD? I think us adults have a bit of a responsibility here to spend a little more time with them. Childhood is the one precious thing we all havevin common. So we should know. Spike Milligan loved youngsters and asked a question once ' where do all the children go ? ' and it's a very interesting thought when you consider it.
Today's children ( again I generalise ) have no 'wonder' . I think they need time to dream, to tell stories, to bugger about a bit ( excuse my language!;) to be a little bit out of control because this is where imagination comes from. It is also fun!!
Sorry , I have said too much - it slipped out!
I also used to lime Bagpuss and the Clangers, and the herb garden - hecti's house too ( though that is a bit dodgy through my 45 year old eyes!!;)
and Fingerbobs? Brilliant!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 15:18

This are the MO tracks I skip:

(This doesn't mean they're bad tracks, some of these just make me feel restless)

Tubular Bells: None
Hergest Ridge: None
Ommadawn: None
Incantations: Part 2 (if I'm not very relaxed)
Platinum: I Got Rhythm
QE2: Both the covers
FMO: Mount Teide
Crises: Taurus III + Shadow On the Wall
Discovery: Crystal Gazing, Saved by a Bell
Islands: Magic Touch + the Time has Come
Earth Moving: Most of the album actually
Amarok: None
Heaven's Open: The dreaded eurovision-esque title track
Albums after that: Not familiar enough with them except for TBII which I skip in its entirety after the first five minutes.

There's also parts of the longer tracks that I used to "skip" by simply lifting the needle. I'm unmoved by the "Sana Rosana" bit of Taurus II and Wind Chimes outstays its welcome halfway into the track I think.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2010, 18:52

I'll make a similar list to Lars above here:

TB: most often the section of Part Two that's called "Ambient Guitars" on TB 2003, if I'm actually listening to TB 2003. If I'm listening to the original, I generally tend not to play Part Two at all, except for the Hornpipe.
HR: Original mix, nothing. Boxed remix, the section of Part Two where the voices come in for the second time.
O: Nothing.
Inc.: I don't remember where it is (Part Two? or Three?), but usually the repeated buzzy synth melody at the end of one of the middle parts irritates me.
Platinum: Woodhenge. And often Into Wonderland as well.
QE2: Taurus I, most of it.
FMO: Orabidoo.
Crises: Nothing. When I really am in a hurry, I fast-forward through Taurus III.
Discovery: Saved by a Bell.
Islands: The final choir section of The Time Has Come.
EM: Usually I don't play the album at all except for Holy, Far Country, and Blue Night. I hate Bridge to Paradise.
Amarok: nothing, of course. :)
HO: Gimme Back. The demo is much better.
TBII: Nothing.
TSODE: Tubular World. Just irritating.
Voyager: Wild Goose and She Moves through the Fair.
TBIII: Nothing.
TMB: I don't play it a lot. Sometimes I listen to Doge's Palace, Lake Constance, Liberation and the title track. The rest has very little substance, to me.
TL: Nothing. Actually, I always play it all the way through.
L&S: Light, nothing. Shade, the start of Tears of an Angel and the Oldfield/Schiller piece (I don't recall its title ATM), which IMHO is just 'orrible. Schiller did (and does) much better things on his own.
MoTS: Nothing at all. It's a masterpiece. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2010, 03:36

Quote (bee @ Feb. 09 2010, 13:44)
Tales of the riverbank - now we're talking, simply superb! And it was in black & White which added to it's appeal. Such a charming innocence about it. Very much lacking in today's 'let's's stimulate the children' vein of entertainment. To my mind this explains why many children - not all - are restless and unable to concentrate. Constantly waiting for the next big high of information input. They seem dissatisfied with what real life has to offer. ADHD? I think us adults have a bit of a responsibility here to spend a little more time with them. Childhood is the one precious thing we all havevin common. So we should know. Spike Milligan loved youngsters and asked a question once ' where do all the children go ? ' and it's a very interesting thought when you consider it.
Today's children ( again I generalise ) have no 'wonder' . I think they need time to dream, to tell stories, to bugger about a bit ( excuse my language!;) to be a little bit out of control because this is where imagination comes from. It is also fun!!
Sorry , I have said too much - it slipped out!
I also used to lime Bagpuss and the Clangers, and the herb garden - hecti's house too ( though that is a bit dodgy through my 45 year old eyes!!;)
and Fingerbobs? Brilliant!

As a parent of 3 i have to agree with you 100%.When they were really small they had that sense of innocence but now they're increasing getting the 'celebrity' bug.Now that annoys the hell out of me!!!

Back on topic.

Just remembered TBII.I always without fail skip Moonshine.
TB 2009 mix the hornpipe.Wierd truncated version.

--------------
Profile PM 
56 replies since Feb. 09 2010, 04:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net