Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Songs you skip, What tracks (if any) you always skip on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 19:49

Quote (milamber @ Feb. 12 2010, 19:04)
I think the arrival of cds and remote controls made skipping songs a habbit not itunes

Yeah but with the advent of iTunes and other such things it became possible to just download one song from an album and ignore the rest.
besides with itunes low bit rate itunes should be skipped

Oh god we've got an audiophile on here... :p
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 21:32

Quote (Syd B @ Feb. 12 2010, 19:49)
Yeah but with the advent of iTunes and other such things it became possible to just download one song from an album and ignore the rest.
besides with itunes low bit rate itunes should be skipped

Oh god we've got an audiophile on here... :p

Valid point Syd totally agree.On skipping back in the day you had to get out of your chair and lift the stylus to jump a track cd's changed that .
With itunes default setting i found the source of secrets sounded just awful really muddled turned it up to 300kbs much better no matter what setup you have and mine aint that great
Sorry if it came across the wrong way wasnt trying to be a git happy listening to all.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 22:16

There was nothing quite as satisfying as shoving your needle through a track that was getting on your nerves.Followed by the grand critical riposte "And that`s enough of that fucker"   :p

Yeah I agree though I think with vinyl we did`nt "skip" as many tracks as we do now.And casette was even worse I guess.You know even if you had the old fast forward/next track search function it would invariably whizz it`s way through to the end of the bloody album or something.Which would be a real pain in the ass,especialy if you had a tape-deck like mine and the rewind button did`nt work.Funnily enough it ended up in a skip.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2010, 23:19

Quote (milamber @ Feb. 12 2010, 21:32)
With itunes default setting i found the source of secrets sounded just awful really muddled turned it up to 300kbs much better no matter what setup you have and mine aint that great

To my ears sometimes iTunes sounds okay and other times not. It's improved since they started offering 256kbs as opposed to 128. Whatever you do don't buy the Philip Glass Solo Piano album on iTunes. Sounds terrible - worst digital distortion I've heard in a long time.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 05:00

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 12 2010, 06:02)
Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 12 2010, 04:09)
And You And I (Yes: Close to the Edge)

Moon in June (Soft Machine: vol III. Sorry Robert...)

Really? "And You and I" is the best piece Yes ever did, in my opinion. As for the "Moon in June", that's the only Soft Machine track I've heard that was in any way enjoyable. Certainly it's the only piece on Third that didn't send me to sleep. ("Slightly All the Time" was the worst, for me.)

I think "And You And I" is a good track, but the two other tracks on the album are so good that it makes me want fast forward.

"Slighlty All the Time" is my favorite track on vol III. I guess we can agree that "Moon in June" is out of place on this album.
Ever heard the last few Soft Machine albums? (Bundles, Softs, Alive and Well and (especially) Land of Cockayne) There's not so much jazz as riff-based and colourful fusion that's not a million miles from Platinum or the Pekka Pohjola album. It's not the sax-squeaky jazz of the Elton Dean years, if that's not your cup of tea.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 05:31

And You And I (Yes: Close to the Edge)

Sacrilege !

:(   :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 18:49

@ Captain Cavern: so what's more sacrilegious? Skipping Yes' "And You And I" or The Beatles' "Within You Without You"? I would say the latter, but that's just me, of course - I think WYWY is excellent for the very reason that it's so different from the rest of the album and from the Fab Four's music. And "Oh! Darling" is a parody of a standardized musical genre - skipping it, IMHO, meas not having understood (or not understanding) any of its humour.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 19:05

I've never been very fond of the whole Close To The Edge album. I dunno why, I love Fragile and The Yes Album.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 20:20

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 13 2010, 05:00)
"Slighlty All the Time" is my favorite track on vol III. I guess we can agree that "Moon in June" is out of place on this album.
Ever heard the last few Soft Machine albums? (Bundles, Softs, Alive and Well and (especially) Land of Cockayne) There's not so much jazz as riff-based and colourful fusion that's not a million miles from Platinum or the Pekka Pohjola album. It's not the sax-squeaky jazz of the Elton Dean years, if that's not your cup of tea.
Lars T

The only other Soft Machine album I own is the three LP box, Triple Echo. I like the cover art of the box, but that's about all. I actually find their music rather dull. The exception is "The Moon in June", particularly the last, instrumental section and its frightening sound, which makes me think of a vacuum cleaner sucking up the whole universe. I've just looked up The Soft Machine in The Rolling Stone Record Guide, incidentally, and they agree with me. So there!  :p
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 20:59

Skipping songs was extremely common already in the LP age, if only with the people who didn't handle their discs carefully. Tracks with profound scratches were sure to skip a lot!

*PA-BUMP, PISH!*

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 21:14

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 09 2010, 13:06)
Magic Touch -- possibly the most awful combination of the most awful sounds the 80's ever gave us.

me too :) dont know why.. its so noisy

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2010, 23:23

Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 13 2010, 21:14)
Magic Touch -- possibly the most awful combination of the most awful sounds the 80's ever gave us.

As I said earlier, I actually find "Magic Touch" so typically 80s that it becomes quite amusing. My main gripe is that it spoils the mood of Islands. It would probably be more acceptable on Earth Moving.
Profile PM 
Zeeter Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 11:45

I wish I could skip the song Geraldine/colores. My tape machine is jammed up and stuck in a loop, I can't even switch the bloody thing off, it's driving me nuts.

I tried stuffing it into the back of a cupboard but the  nieghbours started complaining. And top it all, my girlfriend is gone and left me. What a crappy Valentine's Day I'm having.

A well, see ya later!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 15:24

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 13 2010, 20:20)
The only other Soft Machine album I own is the three LP box, Triple Echo. I like the cover art of the box, but that's about all. I actually find their music rather dull. The exception is "The Moon in June", particularly the last, instrumental section and its frightening sound, which makes me think of a vacuum cleaner sucking up the whole universe. I've just looked up The Soft Machine in The Rolling Stone Record Guide, incidentally, and they agree with me. So there!  :p

And what does The Rolling Stone Record Guide say about Mike Oldfield's back catalogue?  :O

I really love Robert Wyatt's music, but for me he didn't become very good until his second solo album. I don't like his songs on the first Soft Machine album either.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 19:16

The Rolling Stone Guide I have only covers TB, HR and Ommadawn, but it gives all three only two stars.
Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 19:34

TWO?  Bob Dylan or Springsteen could fart and RS would give it like sixteen bajillion stars.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 09:24

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 13 2010, 23:23)
Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 13 2010, 21:14)

As I said earlier, I actually find "Magic Touch" so typically 80s that it becomes quite amusing. My main gripe is that it spoils the mood of Islands. It would probably be more acceptable on Earth Moving.

It's one saving grace is it does have a rather tasty solo.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
56 replies since Feb. 09 2010, 04:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net