Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Songs Of Hergest Ridge, Putting it together< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 26 2003, 09:40

Those of you on the Amarok mailing list may have already seen me going on about this, but I'm working on a little project with pieces from Hergest Ridge arranged more in the style of TSODE/ TL. There is a rough early MP3 available from here

I have a problem, however: I want to put the fast double-speed guitar part on the end of this and I haven't been able to work out all the notes, although I have some of them. Ideally I'd have the part exactly right but it's been tough and even slowing the remastered mix of HR didn't seem to make things that clear. If anyone has a MIDI file of this section (the beginning of Part 2 of Hergest Ridge) with the fast guitar parts on it, I'd be interested in hearing/ raiding it. Even sheet music in some form - including guitar tab - would be useful.

I've got three or four other sections to this piece,  and as soon as it's finished I'll put the full link up here and probably send it to Stephen Byrne at the Amarok website for inclusion there.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2003, 11:17

Wow! What a great idea! I'm listening to the tune now. Great job! I'll definitley be looking forward to the complete version! TSODE is my favorite album and always thought that HErgest Ridge was really good and underestimated but still could have been done differently to make it better. What a great combination!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 27 2003, 14:00

Mmm, it's a nice piece - I like the contemporary feel that the drumbeat adds, it certainly has that Tres Lunas type of sound.

I might have a look at that guitar part if I get the chance...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: April 05 2003, 15:28

Ok, I *think* it's finished... It turned out more Tres Lunas than TSODE - I even put a guitar/sax on but only really as a joke reference.

It's available in three  parts (for easy downloads) from my my website or from the public folder at ftp.tubular.eu.org

Also on the FTP site is all three parts joined together for those of you that don't mind downloading an 11Mb MP3 in one go.

Thanks to John Connor for putting it in the  FTP space.

I hope you like it, comments welcome.
Profile PM 
Bubular Tells Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2003, 19:52

Wow, this is great stuff. You really did a wonderfull job. Now do Ommadawn! ;)
Profile PM 

Posted: April 05 2003, 21:06

This is truly awesome, Mat. Thank you again for doing this.

This is the kind of music that really works well with this style. Even more so than the Tr3s Lunas pieces themselves. Mike should make more stuff like THIS. Do more traditional Mike-style while still keeping that newer feel he seems to have adopted.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 06 2003, 14:55

Really great, congrats. Especially for the intelligent use of drums. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Rob Watson Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 05:30

Got part 1 so far... SHOCKING!!!! The original made number 1 in '74 if it had sounded like your version... it would still be number 1 now!!!!! I never thaught that it would be BETTER I had expected it to be different... it certainly is! 10/10 an excellent Hergest Ridge II... nice way of bringing in subtle TSODE and TL. Only got part 1 so far so I will let you know what I think when I've got the remainder... loads to look forward to by the sound of things! Rob  :O
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 07:00

I don't like it...I LOVE IT!!!!!

This is one of those pieces that make you greedy and want to run to the recordstore in order to be the first one there.......

Needles to say I 've already burnt a copy  ;)

Thanks very much Matt.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 05:24

Great great great! That's some quality work you've made there! Those drums indeed are very good!

Tiny remark: that piano in the second minute.
I don't like the stresses it puts on the melody. Sounds very disturbing to me. Have you done this with a synthesiser? I think it would be great if you could get a real piano sound, with right stresses.

Again, congrats.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 09 2003, 09:26

I love it don't change it. It's very 'Oldfield.'

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 16:38

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. I have an interview on Monday about getting a placement at a proper recording studio, so this sort of thing has done a lot for my ego - hopefully in a good way!

With that piano part, I was basically trying to imitate Prayer For Earth from TSODE in terms of basic arrangement and phrasing - perhaps if I ever re-work it I will add guitars properly but I had to do this one without access to a proper electric guitar (I used an electro-acoustic and digital trickery). I play keyboard and piano in basically the same way, but everything on Songs of Hergest Ridge that isn't guitar came from keyboards. I was very careful not to fix the timing of  the tracks too much - I certainly learned a lot about drum programming whilst making this!

Thanks again.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: May 02 2003, 10:30

I really LOVE this track!!

I hope Mike will listen to this nice piece of artwork, then he will realise that he has done more than Tubular Bells and start working on something like this ... Hergest Ridge II or Return to Hergest Ridge  :D

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 02 2003, 22:59

Songs of Hergest Ridge has definitly made me appreciate Hergest Ridge a lot more, even though I already liked it. I learned to play it on the piano after hearing that and I really have more respect for Mike now to be able to write music like that. Never did I realise how cool it is. It is very nice. Thanks again, Mat.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2004, 14:08

I already warned the folks on the Amarok mailing list, but I thought I should tell you guys too: I'm taking these MP3s down at the end of this week (they have been up for almost a year now!;) so download now or forever hold your wossname.
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 04 2004, 06:57

what  does TSODE stand for?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2004, 08:33

The Songs Of Distant Earth. You better remember that. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2004, 11:15

:/  looks like I missed it. The geocities server is very unreliable. I could only get the first part to download

The tubular.eu.org server appears to be completely empty. Am I logging in correctly?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2004, 06:10

I don't like Geocities much - also the fact that I'm not paying for the webspace (it comes free) might mean that I'm not getting their best service...

The full version seems to have vanished from the FTP site - I'm not sure why.

I'll leave it up for another few days so you can keep trying, let me know when you have it.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2004, 11:02

Thanks Matt. I got it in the end

Wow! Easily the most accomplised MO cover I've heard yet

Did I read somewhere that you used Propellerheads' Reason software to create it? It sounded like you had a really professional recording studio with loads of expensive synths! I started a thread in discussion about what equipement peopple are using. Feel free to add to it here

Down to the mastering and enhancing, it sounds like a proper pro-studio offering. It's easily on a par with the quality of TSODE. You're very talented

Did you get the recording studio placement in the end
Profile PM 
66 replies since Feb. 26 2003, 09:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net