Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Song For Survival< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 13:24

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 19 2008, 16:36)
Quote (Ray @ Sep. 18 2008, 14:03)
I had one of our 3D siesmic data analysis subcontractors put the wave file through a £400,000 data analysis system and compare it with part of Tub 2 where Mike plays the PRS and the wave form characteristics were the same.

Conclusion : PRS

Ray   :cool:

no need for gadgets, my ear told me it was the prs

Sorry to say, but it´s not!

:/
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 13:53

Regarding the Fender Strat vs. PRS debate, to me the whole matter lies in the way the guitar sounds on the track. And to my (cloth?) ears, the sound on "Song for Survival" is identical to the sound produced by Mike's guitar when he plays the first half of the solo on "Moonlight Shadow", on the HGP concert DVD. And that's the PRS. :) Of course, with so many guitar effect pedals, pedalboards and modules [and software!] around, I think that any guitar sound may be obtained from any electric guitar. Who but Mike himself could tell us whether Mike used (for example) one of those "Virtual Guitar" or "Guitar Simulation" units to get a Fender Stratocaster sound out of his PRS? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 14:23

After having watched the clip and compare it to the track I need to say that the sounds are different.

The PRS sound is not as bright as the Fender sound.

The latter one is one of Mikes unique landmarks and can be heard throughout all of his albums since 1984.

I know the PRS owners round here disagree!

:cool:

But you bet!

Edited by manintherain on Sep. 22 2008, 14:59
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 14:38

Quote (manintherain @ Sep. 22 2008, 20:23)
After having watched the clip on YouTube and compare it to the track I have to say, that the sounds are different.

The PRS sound isn´t as bright as the Fender sound.

Okay, I shall pull myself out of the debate - evidently you have ears for this and I don't. :) To me it sounds identical - I have listened to the "Moonlight Shadow" performance on the DVD, and maybe you should too - YouTube clips may not always have the best available audio quality. ;) And however, as I said above, the 'brightness' of the sound may be adjusted or changed by an effect, or by an on-board piece of equipment, or by a piece of software, like ProTools (we're talking about a studio creation, here), so I guess that it isn't a clearly discriminating issue. And then on "Song for Survival" there's some added reverb, echo etc., which is not on the live performance of MS. But I'm not a guitarist and I don't know anything about guitars and effects, so I guess I'll just shut up about this. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 14:44

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 21 2008, 15:47)
I even don't know the entire tracklist anymore.

That happens to me more and more these days now I know exactly what you mean.For myself I`ve generaly put that down to too much multi-tasking(yes blokes can do it too..kind of)rather than sitting there intently with the album sleeve gripped in my hand.Changing times and changing environments for me..I wish I could get back to being more err whatchamacalit??..Attentive yeh that`s it.. I got distracted there for a moment or two.

I know exactly what you mean! Because of the busy life nowadays compared to a couple of years ago I also have too little time to listen to an album, without doing other things (multi tasking as you say ;) )

But I've heard the entire track now, and I really like it! I especially enjoy the ethnic flute which sounds lovely! Still can't hear the Voyager or TSODE resemblances though... sorry. :)

And I'm afraid I have to join the Fender Strat group. It really sounds like a Strat, people. That warm sound is so typical! (same as on the track "Closer")

Thanks Ugo, by the way!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 15:37

There are more "Strat" people than "PRS" at the moment.

:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 16:37

:p No Mr Y , i'm also there for the PRS !
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 17:03

But still wrong!

:p
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 18:25

pres de toi vs jungel gardenia
Nice and calm melody..
maybe a good b - side song but nothing more im afraid..  :/  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 18:59

:D What are we going to win if we are right ? :D  Hey ! Someone said here that we could see a mini video about how Mike has created this track ; when will we see it ?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 20:26

I can picture Mike at home reading all those posts about Red Strat x PRS with a bored face  :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2008, 21:16

:/ Tati ? Do you think we make anything wrong ? It's just a simple , an innocent question : Which guitar he has used ? .... and do you really think that Mike could waste his precious time to read some posts there ? Not sure !
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 00:14

I just got off the phone with MO.  He used Guitar Hero fed into an Old Tin Box.

:p

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 04:49

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 23 2008, 02:26)
I can picture Mike at home reading all those posts about Red Strat x PRS with a bored face  :(

Naah, I don't think he'd even waste his time reading this posts, Tati. Then again, I could be wrong.

But then again, Mike's a technie, just like most people here. Nothing wrong with debating about instruments and stuff. :)

But then again, it's all about the music instead of all the instruments, right?

But then again....... ok I will stop! :P

Bassman: I just got off the phone with MO.  He used Guitar Hero fed into an Old Tin Box.

Hahahawahaa  :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 13:04

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 18 2008, 23:47)
Off Topic @ Ray: do you work on an oil platform?

Ugo,

No - I work on my yacht sitting in the harbour with a wireless Broadband dongle and my apple mac.  A bit like someone else we know.

In the oil industry - yes.  When i'm not trying to analyse the waveforms shapes coming from two guitars (:P)

Also as MITR knows you can waveshape any sound in to any other sound using processors and sound synthesis.  You give me a track of pure PRS guitar sound and i'll use LogicPro to change its sound to be that of a Fender Strat (any colour you choose).

Either way - it could be either guitar.   It is difficult to prove without actually knowing.  And to be honest there is only on person who cares (and he knows who he is (:)).)

Yo
Ray    :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 13:06

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 18 2008, 22:59)
About these nice tabs you and others do: Would it be possible to make them with bar lines as well, just for clarity?

ok will try that - but i'm not sure i'm that good - i'll have to consult the other half who has the Music Degree.  I'm sure she will help out next time.

Ray :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 13:12

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 23 2008, 19:04)
Either way - it could be either guitar.   It is difficult to prove without actually knowing.  And to be honest there is only on person who cares (and he knows who he is (:)).)

What kind of smiley is the one you put at the end here, Ray? :D

Apart from that, this is exactly what I was saying above. The technical advancement in sound effects, either physical (pedals, pedalboards, rack units) or software ones, makes it possible for any guitar, even a cheap one (with no recognizable brand name) to sound like anything - even like a saxophone. :D  We are all here 'bickering' about which guitar is played on this particular track, when all that we can base our hypoteses on is the sound that the guitar has in the track. And the guitar sound may have been processed in order to be like any other guitar sound. [As Ray puts it: "Give me a PRS and I'll make it sound like a Fender Strat" - that may actually be accomplished with today's technology.] So, we have no way of knowing for certain which guitar did Mike O. actually have in his hands to produce that sound with - if it actually was a guitar at all. :D

One more point: in the HGP concert I was referring to earlier, Mike's PRS is certainly processed when he does most of his solos on it. During "Man in the Rain" you can hear him going effortlessly from a clean sound to a heavily distorted one and vice versa - and he doesn't push anything with his feet, because it's computer-processed. Maybe he used the pink (not red) Fender Strat on the TBIII album, but in the HGP concert he certainly didn't, at least not on that song, and on "Moonlight Shadow".

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 14:58

Add your name, please

Fender group:
yanouch65
manintherain
Blue Dolphin
hairy old hippy

PRS group:
Ray
Tubular Tos
Taurus Outcast

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 15:19

Quote (yanouch65 @ Sep. 23 2008, 19:58)
Add your name, please

Fender group:
yanouch65
manintherain
Blue Dolphin
hairy old hippy

PRS group:
Ray
Tubular Tos
Taurus Outcast

:)

Fender group:
yanouch65
manintherain
Blue Dolphin
hairy old hippy

PRS group:
Tubular Tos
Taurus Outcast

It could have been any guitar (or iphone)
Ray
Ugo

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 15:22

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 23 2008, 18:12)
(:)).)[/quote]
What kind of smiley is the one you put at the end here, Ray? :D

(:))   that is a happy chap

(:)).  happy chap peeing

(:)).)  happy chap peeing into a loo bowl

:D  Ray

PS - Very observant - in fact probably observant enough to spot the difference between a fender and a PRS!!?

--------------
Profile PM 
110 replies since Sep. 15 2008, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net