Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Song For Survival< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 10:29

What a piece of s...   :/

It sounds like just another of the presets on his gay fruity loops software..all computer synth with a touch of guitar and no soul..

1. preset = romance
2. preset = Lak me  (BITE ME)
3. preset = synth for anuba tribe hubilobisong...
4. preset = another synth for a new album...this one called "light & shade part deux"...

Booooooooooooring..
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 11:56

Are the tribe vocals real or synthesised ? They don't sound real to me.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 19:47

@ wiga: they're a sample. To me they sound very real.

@ prisoner: I don't share your opinion... unoriginal, maybe, but not boring. And it's not a preset at all... a sample of a tribe chant was given to Mike, and he embellished on it. I don't think the Anuta tribe has any 'preset' chants. :D The only programmed part in this sounds to me to be the drums. All the rest (even the synth) sounds very hand-played to my ears...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 16:48

Just purchased my copy of the track from i-tunes. To sum up: unmistakably Oldfield, beautifully haunting melody but actually RUINED by the vocal interlude in the middle- to me it it sounds cringeworthy - Amarok's ethnic vocals were in a different league. However there are some truly wonderful moments in the song. Worth the 79p download. I don't think a whole album of this kinda thing is what we want next from Mike however:)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 17:18

Hey, Prisoner.  Don't leave us hanging... tell us what you really think...  :laugh:

But seriously, ladies and germs, when you give it some thought it's really not all that far removed from the "Bones" b-side a few years back.  That was the one that used the Balinese Ketjak chant.  MO's not a complete stranger to using musique concrete elements.  Is it a classic?  No, not really.  But if he was doing some recording sporadically through 2007 and someone asked him to donate a track to some cause, it's not likely he'd give away something that would be far better used on his own upcoming releases.  It's pleasant enough, I think.  At least the content is in sync with the context.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2008, 10:54

I just bought the CD Complete today ie  2 Discs     Mikes Track is the Last on Disc2..  Its very much that a Last "Track" on the Album to wind everything up..  Personally my Fav Tk on Disc 2 is "Blue States" Hello Kombai   .. Bit of energy rocking off on this one.. :)..

Disc 1 is not bad either.. some good songs by KT Tunstall, Apparatjik, Dawn Kinnard,  Yusuf Islam, and a Kinks sound a Like... worth getting for the charity  ..   :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2008, 17:11

I've held of commenting on the new track, and the Bruce Parry album because (for once!;) i was waiting for the shiny shiny CD's to arrive through my door.

On first listen, with my 4 year old perched on my knee her reaction was "Oh! A Sad song". And that reaction matched mine on so many levels for me.

Mike's contribution is so out of place compared to the other tracks on this album (with the exception maybe of yusef Islam's), sonically his style is very distant from the others. From Will.i.am to most of CD2 it's a very modern beat orientated line up. Mike's guitars are very lonely amongst that.

But, the sadness? It's because Mike's track is so formulaic. Sounds and melodies we've heard on many albums already.
I appreciate his daughter asked for a track for the album, and he's probably thrown in something "ready to go" off his shelf, but given Mike was working with "world" sounds in the 70's, he had a huge opportunity here to produce something great. And he hasn't. This is a B-side from Voyager/Tres Lunas/L&S.

Having said all that, I back up 3Wheller's comment. it's not a bad album at all, and supportsd a worthwhile cause.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 11:40

Quote (olracUK @ Oct. 13 2008, 17:11)
On first listen, with my 4 year old perched on my knee

Un-believable! Olrac, I remember you telling us on Tubular.net that your baby daughter had just been born...Is this that little baby that was born at what seems to me like only a short time ago?? I simply cannot believe it, I really can't!!! But how lovely to think she is sharing the Oldfield listening with her Dad. Really nice!

I have yet to hear this music, but am looking forward to it. I have caught small parts of the tv programme, and it is quite fascinating, but I always seem to be busy when it's on so have missed lots of it.

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 08:03

Quote (bee @ Oct. 14 2008, 11:40)
I have yet to hear this music, but am looking forward to it. I have caught small parts of the tv programme, and it is quite fascinating, but I always seem to be busy when it's on so have missed lots of it.

Yep the Programme is Good .. you sort of have to watch it from the 1st episode and follow it through though..  

Hearing the Album though I cannt actually remember hearing much or any of its music on the actual TV programme itself...  maybe it was there in the background but it didnt register...

But get the Album .. Its not bad at all  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 21 2008, 09:32

Quote (3Wheeler @ Oct. 20 2008, 14:03)
Hearing the Album though I cannt actually remember hearing much or any of its music on the actual TV programme itself...  maybe it was there in the background but it didnt register...

No, there was not much to hear from the actual CD. No Mike at all.

Also the anuta tribe has nothing to do with the Amazon episodes, for it´s Melanesian. Looks like it was featured in BBCs Tribe programme and aired on September 4th, 2007. Maybe that´s where the sample comes from.

:cool:

Edited by manintherain on Oct. 21 2008, 18:07
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2008, 11:24

This article may help you:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol....280.ece

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
110 replies since Sep. 15 2008, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net