Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Song For Survival< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 23 2008, 15:50

I think I should belong more to the PRS group as that's what I originally hypotized (the sound being, to my ears, identical to the clean PRS solos in the HGP concert). But as I said above those solos are processed, so, yes, I think I should better belong to the 'any guitar' group. ;)

@ Ray: thanks for the smiley explanation - it's the first-ever time I see a peeing smiley... :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2008, 10:27

Fender group:
yanouch65
manintherain
Blue Dolphin
hairy old hippy

PRS group:
Tubular Tos
Taurus Outcast

It could have been any guitar (or iphone)
Ray
Ugo
timshen

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 06:00

The guitar warble reminds me of Voyager’s, ‘Dark Island’ - catchy, plaintive and melancholy.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 12:50

Quote (timshen @ Sep. 24 2008, 10:27)
Fender group:
yanouch65
manintherain
Blue Dolphin
hairy old hippy

PRS group:
Tubular Tos
Taurus Outcast

It could have been any guitar (or iphone)
Ray
Ugo
timshen

Don't really care group:
Taurus Outcast
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 15:27

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 25 2008, 17:50)
Don't really care group:
Taurus Outcast

Hey, Brilliant and inspired responce.  Why didn't we think of that?

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 17:23

Quote (Ray @ Sep. 25 2008, 15:27)
Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 25 2008, 17:50)
Don't really care group:
Taurus Outcast

Hey, Brilliant and inspired responce.  Why didn't we think of that?

;) Yeah ! It's right ; of course i'm not worried about to know which guitar Mike has used !I love the sound of all his guitars ! And the most important for me is that he has used again an Electric guitar . .... and i think that's what Tati wanted to say !   ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 20:04

@ Ray & Tubular Tos: isn't not caring about what guitar did Mike use on the track really the same thing as stating that it could be any guitar? Or does it imply some further, bigger indifference towards the whole matter? :D

[Sorry for the very bad wording of the above. I just finished watching some stuff off Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD, and its (talking) style is still buzzing in my head. :laugh:]

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 01:14

Why did nobody tell me this was available on iTunes USA?? I count on this board to keep me informed, and it was only through happenstance that I checked for it. So, now I'm a happy camper as I've been enjoying the full "Song For Survival". I'm still waiting for "Spheres", btw.

I find the discussion regarding which guitar was used interesting. It's not important to me, personally, but as larstangmark once said, "Sex anb food are primary urges to man, but for you can squeeze in getting-to-know-about-mike-odlfied-recording-session-details in between the two. It's all about the details. It's small questions like these that I can sit and think about on my veranda with a cup of cofee and a walkman. It's wonderful. And it keeps the fear of global warming at arm's length."

(Deja vu. I think I've used that quote before. And probably more than once! )

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 01:55

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 26 2008, 02:04)
[Sorry for the very bad wording of the above. I just finished watching some stuff off Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD, and its (talking) style is still buzzing in my head. :laugh:]

My guess is you watched the "wicker island" sketch. :)

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 07:29

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 26 2008, 01:14)
Why did nobody tell me this was available on iTunes USA?? I count on this board to keep me informed, and it was only through happenstance that I checked for it. So, now I'm a happy camper as I've been enjoying the full "Song For Survival".

So what in particular do you like about, it Sweetpea? Is it one of your favourite MO pieces? It's one of mine.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 07:52

@ Burning Fish: nope, I'd just finished watching the whole of the "Salad Days" episode ["Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days", the Cheese Shop sketch, etc.]. However, I guess that the Pythons' very English way of talking was more or less the same during the whole Flying Circus series (and it still is like that), so it could really have been any episode. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 14:08

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 26 2008, 07:29)
So what in particular do you like about, it Sweetpea? Is it one of your favourite MO pieces? It's one of mine.

It's firmly enjoyable but hasn't reached 'favorite' status. What I like most is the guitar-playing. I could listen to Mike play guitar for days and days.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 20:02

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 26 2008, 14:08)
It's firmly enjoyable but hasn't reached 'favorite' status. What I like most is the guitar-playing. I could listen to Mike play guitar for days and days.

Agreed. Actually, it's given me an idea for a new topic...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2008, 17:11

I can't buy the track on iTunes,hope to find another place to download it legally :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2008, 16:05

Ray....i totally agree with you...It's definately the yellow custom 24 PRS, people who cannot tell the difference are poor musicians.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 29 2008, 16:08

Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 29 2008, 22:05)
Ray....i totally agree with you...It's definately the yellow custom 24 PRS, people who cannot tell the difference are poor musicians.

So I´m a poor musician!

Too bad!

:-(
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 05:01

Mr C., I think you are one of the best....not a poor musician!
:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 10:31

Someone has sent me the track,I've tried all ways to get it legally(just pre-ordered the album),but it didn't work.Fellow brazilian MO fans here have the same problem,so...P2P mode on...feeling bad,my country really drives me nuts,we're outsiders regarding some areas,like iTunes,the same problem happened with MOTS Live at Bilbao  :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 23:45

On Songs for Survival's page on Facebook,they're adding videos featuring the artists who were involved on the project,but there's no sign of Mike there...I'm really curious if Molly will bring something for us like that...Mike talking why he got involved on the project...just thinking here.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2008, 18:52

What a pity, Tati...have to say I'm not an Itunes man yet but may get converted as I seem to be missing a few of Mike later tracks ...I've not heard Cook's Tune yet for instance. I have however ordered this album from Amazon on the strength of reviews I've seen about all of the music on it, which are really encouraging. It's a very interesting project and one I think will sound very engaging as it floats or marimbas off the CD player! Expect me around your way in a grass skirt and false knockers soon.

http://markcslattery.spaces.live.com/
Profile PM 
110 replies since Sep. 15 2008, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net