Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Some Thoughts, i.e., What is Incantations like, etc.?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2004, 15:26

It comes at about 3:20 in part 1, when the strings and 6-note synth arpeggio are speeding along. It's played on a high pitched synth string.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 09 2004, 06:57

I just re-read this thread and realised that my original post was far too negative.  Now I've got back into the album, I love it.  I still don't think it's as emotional or as warm as Ommadawn, and there is certainly a glacial coldness about Incantations, but it has other strengths....it's such an impressive edifice, it's almost architectural in its structure.  I've bowled over by its form - it's majestic.  I now love it for what it is.  I was looking for another Ommadawn like I was looking for another Tubular Bells when I bought Hergest Ridge.  Wrong!  All four of Mike's 70s epis are so different and each has its strengths and its own particular 'flavour'.  There is a time for each of them and they're all dazzlingly good.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2004, 08:25

Nope, I don't think I'll ever really love Incantations. Of course I appreciate how epic and majestic it is, but Parts One and Two don't really do anything for me at all. Nothing in them is particularly unpleasant in any way (though Hiawatha still goes on for too long with too little variation), but it dosen't turn me on the the same way that Crises or Tubular Bells does. I won't say anything else about Parts 1 and 2 other than I'm sure it's well made music but I just don't like it.

Parts 3 and 4, on the other hand, is well made music that I do like, and that I like a lot. I'm not sure whether it was that therapy that Mike did (probably is), but the second LP just has such energy in it, it really is a breath of fresh air. The two long solos, one each in Part 3 and Part 4, are the beginning for me of Mike's guitar god status. The one after the vibraphones in Part 4 has more energy than all of Parts 1 and 2 combined. To top it off, the Ode to Cynthia is the best section of music he had released up to that time.

It's a mixed bag, really. This is the first time that I have enjoyed a second part (two parts really) of a Mike Oldfield album more (significantly more) than the first, and in terms of a 'condensed Incantations' such as has been discussed before I would take the crude approach and cut off Parts 1 and 2 altogether. Overall I rate Incantations 'alright', the bits I don't like are balanced by some absolutely astounding guitar solos. This topic has been comparing this album to Ommadawn a fair bit, but I'm not all that wild about Ommadawn either. Like Incantations it has some good bits (the Part 1 ending and On Horseback), but not enough to make it a really enjoyable album for me. Sometimes I do wonder what all the fuss over Ommadawn is about, but all it comes down to is that I don't like it and a lot of other people do. That's all it is: these albums represent a period of Mike's music that just dosen't do it for me like a lot of others do, but that's alright.

There. I challenge you to find a more fair or balanced critisism of an album anywhere.  ;)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2004, 09:52

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 09 2004, 08:25)
This topic has been comparing this album to Ommadawn a fair bit, but I'm not all that wild about Ommadawn either. Like Incantations it has some good bits (the Part 1 ending and On Horseback), but not enough to make it a really enjoyable album for me. Sometimes I do wonder what all the fuss over Ommadawn is about, but all it comes down to is that I don't like it and a lot of other people do.

Well here's 3 other of my own highlights on Ommadawn (yeah, sorry, I know it's an Inantations thread):

1) The folkie section in part one - so uplifting and full of joy!

2) The guitar/pipes setion with Paddy Moloney in part two - so melancholy and meditative.

3) The "Greek" section which ends tha main part of part two before On Horseback - always gets me jigging!

I think Ommadawn is great because it's very organic sounding (it uses a lot of wooden instruments and has a good blanace between lots of Mike and good use of other musicians), it's very playful, it's very 'warm' (of the first 4 albums it feels the most 'human' to me), and it has tremendous passages of RELEASE!  The ending of part one especially is so cathartic for me.

Plus the melodies are first class and the arrangements and structure are inspired.

That's what I think all the fuss is about!

And much as I admire Incantations, especially for its epic structure, I do miss that organic warmth and playfulness.  Maybe Ommadawn relates to my "inner child" whereas Incantations relates to my adult sensibilities more.......?

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 25 2005, 16:13

I bought Incantations when it came out on vinyl.  I haven't had a turntable for many many years, so of course, hadn't heard this for a long, long time.  I bought the CD on line a few days ago and it came in today's mail.  I am listening to Part 1 right now and can't believe how awe-inspriring it it.  Chills, goosebumps, tears.   You name it - I'm feeling it.  Incredible.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 24 2005, 05:38

Having just listened to Incantations today, this thought just came to me. It seems to me that much of the first two parts of Incantations could be considered chill out. I'm thinking especially of the beginning of Part Two before the Hiawatha section begins: slow pace, repetitive sections you could really lose yourself in (I don't, but I'm sure lots of people do), the synth arpeggios. I think these sections could certainly be classed as chill out, depending on your definition of the term. Does anyone agree with me?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 05:40

Hi all, I listened to the original incantations cd last night (as opposed to exposed) and decided to listen objectively to what is one of my fave pieces but I am sad to say that the length really was too excessive for me. Funnily enough I have a huge capacity for listening to long music, I listen to music by Reich tc and have a very good sense of concentration but there were prts in incantations (several in fact) hat really made it one of he most demanding listens I have had. Maybe this is a compliment to the work, but i definately feel that it would benefit so much from cuts, although in some respect the exposed version did that.

My question is this; does it get better? Am i writing the original off to early? All I know is that it was a mighty tough listen concentration wise which was a pity coz there is some stunning music in there!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 05:59

I can imagine people having problems with its length...
I think that the length of this piece is one of it's strengths. It has a sort of calming quality, which enables you to relax and concentrate on all the different things that are going on in this piece. You really have the time to get used to the different parts, and take it all in (if that's a right expression).

Part 2 is a piece of which a lot of people say that it could have been half its length, but I don't think so myself. Especially the very quiet bit with the violins making this 'scrathing' noise (couldn't find a better word) is one of the best parts for me. Also the 'Diana Luna' bit of side one is certainly not too long, imho.

I think it's wise though that he shortened it a bit for the live version of Exposed, though I feel that he cut out some of the best pieces  :/ . For example the guitar solo of side 3, which of course is a highlight of the LP.

So, I'd say, give it another try  ;)
:)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 06:30

Yes, I certainly appreciate parts of this now. I often find that with his 'lesser works' (i.e. not TBII) that I like bits and some bits not so much. I often find myself just listening to Part 1, and leaving it there.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 19:54

ThisName--I merged your topic with this one, which is essentially on the same subject.

I don't know if it will get any better for you--it has been the soundtrack of my life since the evening I first heard it. But...we all experience Mike's music somewhat differently, so who knows--it may never hit the right chord with you or 10 years down the road, it might.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 20:10

I actually have Incantations downloaded and on a cd, but have never had the time to listen to it yet. One of these days I'll listen, but I usually like to get in the right mood when I listen to an album. I hear that it has some vibrophone in it, and that's nice because the vibraphone is a nice sounding instrument.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 20:36

Well now..Incantations...... for those of us who waited rather a long time for Mike's next album, when it came it was too short by about 4 sides.  I can still listen to it all day without really wanting to change it - just, now I don't have to get up and change the sides or the LP's - it's piped from my Mac to the stereo!!

I think my album (Vinyl) got scratched so much in the rush to keep changing the LP's I had to eventuialy buy another one.

And.. I spent all the time listening to it until the next album came out, purely from memory that was platinum.  This was at the time a bit of a change - having real words on it - as opposed to hiawatha.

I got my mum to buy me a Roland SH09 so I could try and emulate the sounds.  But it wasnt up to it (or I wasn't) - so I concentrated on the single that came out/or was already out - with in dulci jub and portsmouth etc., and taught my self to play the bodhran - using a cardboard box..!

Then Blue Peter suddenly became very popular.....wonder why.javascript:emoticon(':zzz:';)
smilie

There was no web at the time - just NME! for news.

Well I presume you get my drift about Incantations.  Then the live Exposed concert in Manchester.  I don't supose anyone else was there???   I recently checked up on ebay and say the programme for sale for £200, and the paper airplanes are about £5 each - I got a bunch of them.  There was a video playing in the back ground - and I thought it was why he had birds on his guitar (sometime later).  The video was of this seagul flying about - is that available??

So which is the best bit....ALL OF IT of course.

Oh and has anyone noticed the start up sound on the MAC powerbook is the first chord of Crisis?

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 17:44

well for me Incantations is simply the best thing MO has ever done.  I was at Manchester in 1979, and it changed my musical life, completely.  I have always cherised the album and as a result have struggled with lots of MO's releases since.  To  see Pierre beat out the vibes on Side 4 of the Exposed DVD is just mint to me, what a talent.  I met Mike in Manchester in 1980 on his 27th Birthday backstage at the Apollo.  I asked him lots of silly questions he couldn't answer about Incantations.  An obsessed fan trying to talk to the creator, ahem!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 12:23

I was there too!!!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 14:54

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 25 2005, 16:13)
 I am listening to Part 1 right now and can't believe how awe-inspriring it it.  Chills, goosebumps, tears.   You name it - I'm feeling it.  Incredible.

To me, listening to Part (esp, the first 3 or 4 minutes) is getting to be a bittersweet experience.... as in, "this is as good as music ever got, and nothing ever since has been this good.". (I am referring to all music, not just Oldfield).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 21:53

I nearly read my earlier comments from a couple years back. Inc truly is the soundtrack of my life.  I continue to find that during challenging times I can play it and become so lost in it that I forget everything for awhile---maybe like a reading an absorbing book or watching an engrossing movie. It becomes a 70-minute trip away from the "here."  At this point in time, there isn't anything in my collection or that I've otherwise experienced that could have filled the void I'd not have known existed had I not been tuned in to the radio that evening way back when. Hmmm...if that makes a modicum of sense. Thank heavens for coincidences.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Robbie Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 02:33

Hi,

i'm collecting his albums, and i have intention to buy this album as well.
My question would be: what is it like? Is it good, ok, excellent?

Thanks! :)
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 07:15

My opinion is that Incantations is beautiful!

For me, it might take more than 10 listens to get the hang of it. Favourite parts are the vocals in part 2 and all of part 4, the rest of the instrumental parts I haven't gotten used to it yet and I'm listening to it right now. :p Anyways, it's seems sort of ambient and relaxing, except for part 3, very unlike any others of Mike's albums. (I haven't listened to Hergest Ridge yet though, so I might be wrong.)

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 12:44

Incantations is my favourite record by Mike Oldfield.  The most symphonic work he's ever done, to me.

It seems to have a unique quality.  It's not quite like the first three records, yet has more in common with TB or Ommadawn than what came shortly after (Platinum, QE2 and the Pop stuff).  

The complexity of the opening section, with it's strange time signature and odd constantly shifting chords can be quite perplexing and I imagine would take some time to get into on first hearing.  However this music is well worth the effort and I can't imagine now going through my late teens without it.

Some sections, such as the long hypnotic Hiawatha sequence with Maddy Prior on side two are instantly apprecaited.  Other sections are more difficult.

Another highlight is the vibraphones on side 4 who are essentially repeating the start of side 1, but in their own way.  My only wish is that this section would go on for twice the length.

Mike took years to write this piece and there are a number of motifs/tunes that run through it.  I've no idea how much of the overall concept Mike planned out before he did this album, but it always sounded to me like it was very well planned.

In short, get it, I hope you'll love it.  Please tell us how you get on.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2006, 13:26

Yes. It stands above all of his other work (and, although it might go without saying, above all other work by anyone else).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
84 replies since Feb. 11 2002, 06:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net