Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: So it comes to this, another TBII thread, Don't take this the wrong way< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 19:53

Quote (Major Gowen @ Aug. 24 2008, 16:29)
Top Of The Morning is a corker as well, the musical equivalent of standing on a hilltop looking at breathtaking rural scenery.

That's odd, because "Top of the Morning" evokes landscapes for me as well, although because I'm Australian it tends to be more tropical vistas typical of the country around, say, Cairns. Mike's music is certainly great for listening to in ANY wide-open space!
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 16:54

I want to come back and say TB 1 is probably a bit better...but I still very much like tb2, except for the distractions and that musically it is less complex. Compare weightless and harmonics....
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 17:32

Quote (Jesse @ Sep. 28 2011, 22:54)
I still very much like tb2, except for the distractions and that musically it is less complex. Compare weightless and harmonics....

I do love TBII more than TB because it is less complex. :D Call it commercial, call it sell-out, call it falling under the influence (of pop wizard Trevor Horn, of course! :D) but I love it exactly because of all that. Also, as I've stated multiple times on this board, TB sounds very firmly of its time. TBII has a sort of timeless quality. At least to me.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 17:34

Well it depends on which version, TB2003 sounds very timeless (not meaning my album haha) because the composition is timeless. The original sounds very 70's.

I kinda like both very much. TB3 has more a love/hate thing going for me.

You know what I love? Side 2. Of both TB's :D
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2011, 15:08

I know that Mike's musical appeal goes up and down like a fiddler's elbow as he constantly tries to re-order his brain with the latest new age therapy / have midlife rave-nation Ibiza/Goa crises / shake off the legacy of Tubular Bells... by just doing something else that sounds exactly like Tubular Bells, BUT...

Tubby Bells II is absolute toilet. I can't work out whether it's a cynical cash-in on the sort of satchel-wearing cappucino waving vacuous sorts too young to remember the original, whether the noises in his head just won't quit [the bells, the bells...], or whether he had a few and turned the original music score upside down just for fun [his not ours]...

This is such slick souless slimy copycat crap with absolutely nothing original or new to say whatsoever... an opinion reinforced and cast in steel by the presence of a sneering greasy Alan Rickman on side one.

This is one album I will have no hesitation in deleting.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2011, 18:49

Quote (compound eye @ Nov. 19 2011, 15:08)
Tubby Bells II is absolute toilet.

That's possibly the word I've been searching for....since ca 1992.  :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2011, 04:08

Quote (compound eye @ Nov. 19 2011, 20:08)
a cynical cash-in on the sort of satchel-wearing cappucino waving vacuous sorts too young to remember the original,

:O  Good lord! Well I'll admit to liking cappucino - but NOT to satchel wearing. And what is a vacuous sort? Not good I assume. :/

I'm feeling frettened - are you going to be trolling us TBII lovers?  :(

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2011, 19:19

Quote (wiga @ Nov. 20 2011, 10:08)
:O  Good lord! Well I'll admit to liking cappucino - but NOT to satchel wearing. And what is a vacuous sort? Not good I assume. :/

@ wiga: I think that the line you quoted from "compound eye" is a reference to the people we called "Paninari" down here back in the Eighties. Now they've evolved and they don't eat panini (hot dogs and subs) any longer, but the attitude is the same. :)

To me TBII is not "copycat crap". To me it is an enormous improvement over the 1973 original. And I do mean that.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 22 2011, 02:48

Found this today digging around in the Shed :)

Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2011, 08:58

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 19 2011, 18:49)
Quote (compound eye @ Nov. 19 2011, 15:08)
Tubby Bells II is absolute toilet.

That's possibly the word I've been searching for....since ca 1992.  :D

You're both right.  Except it's like the executive washroom at Springfield Nuclear Power Plant!

That's a find-and-a-half, Milamber!  The interview or article where he states the exact opposite will undoubtedly be out there somewhere though :laugh:   I forget where someone pointed out that there was testimony from Tom Newman as to how TBII changed once Trevor got there, but this appears to be one of the key sources for proving that other versions are de-Trevored.   Like 'em both personally.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2011, 09:08

@ Milamber: over the years I've read several paraphrases of the stuff in that text in various places - books, magazines, websites, etc. All very nice and interesting. I've got just a small piece of criticism aimed at Mike: just as he knows that mandolins are associated with Italy, he should know that they are particularily associated with Naples - not with Venice. Venice is associated with strings and woodwinds. :)

@ Cavalier: the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant? Isn't that Homer Simpson's workplace? :D

--------------
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2011, 15:04

Wow! jaw dropping interview...

Me think he doth protest too much, and as for justifying Tubby Bells II by citing Amarok... oh dear, talk about kiss of death.

Also 'Tubby Bells II standing the test of time?!!!',- even Trevor Horn isn't THAT good at turd polishing, and by God he, Steve Lipson - & Paul Morley - did polish some some utterly cringeworthy turds in the 80s [the only ZTT album to stand the 'test of time' is Andrew Poppy's superb modern orchestral 'The Beating of Wings', which was written/performed/produced completely independantly of Horn/Lipson].

Yes, Paninari sounds about right... All the sort of people who jump all over a scene just to be seen, not knowing how naff that is. The kind of people who thought they could save the planet by using a thermal cappucino mug [instead of cardboard] whilst listening to 'Deep Forest' on their cassette Walkman and riding a folding scooter across Hampstead Heath...

:p
Profile PM 
51 replies since June 17 2003, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net