Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Singles: The Greatest Introductions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 12:17

On a car journey recently we tried to compile a list of the singles (by any artist) that we thought had the greatest introductions - by which I mean introductions that are so exciting, so inspired, that the implied promise of what is to follow ought to be astounding (whether or not it is in fact). I found I could compile four straight away, and then ground to a halt because I could think of nothing else that had the power of these. Here are my four:

Temptation: Everly Brothers
Layla: Derek and the Dominoes
Baker Street: Gerry Rafferty
Jumping Jack Flash: Rolling Stones

Anyone care to add their favourites?
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 12:27

With Baker Street, isn't the intro something repeated throughout it? I remember "Layla" much more for the ending than the beginning. The other two intros, I cannot think of.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 13:57

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 22 2005, 17:27)
With Baker Street, isn't the intro something repeated throughout it?

Doesn't matter. It's the way it hits you at the beginning that counts. The Temptation intro is repeated at the end too - but it's at the beginning where it makes its impact.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 15:31

I find it hard to form any opinion of "Baker Street" anymore. Regardless of how good it was, it was one of the few most overplayed songs of the late 1970s. It seems like most of the stations I listened to made sure to play it 2 or 3 times an hour for years.

I have no need to listen to it or download an MP3. I think that every note, every lyric, every sax wail is burned into my brain.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 15:58

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 22 2005, 20:31)
I find it hard to form any opinion of "Baker Street" anymore. Regardless of how good it was, it was one of the few most overplayed songs of the late 1970s. It seems like most of the stations I listened to made sure to play it 2 or 3 times an hour for years.

I have no need to listen to it or download an MP3. I think that every note, every lyric, every sax wail is burned into my brain.

I never reached that point of saturation myself, though I think the song itself didn't quite live up to the stunning promise of its introduction. But then, that's really the point of why I raised this topic.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 16:03

I thought about it more. I can't think of a song that got more radio airplay than that one !

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 16:04

Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 22 2005, 21:03)
I thought about it more. I can't think of a song that got more radio airplay than that one !

C'mon then - kick Rafferty into touch and give me some more great introductions to add to my collection!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 17:07

I've got seven, is that OK? I can add more!

1) We used to be friends THE DANDY WARHOLS (l love the way it winds up to the start)

2) My Sweet Lord GEORGE HARRISON (beautiful and tender guitars)

3) Radar Love GOLDEN EARRING (Fab driving song, like the drumming as well + lots of nostalgia!;)

4) The Passenger IGGY POP ( Just like the sound of the guitar)

5) Fly Away LENNY KRAVITZ ( I like this because if you put your headphones in the wrong way round the sound from this song hurts for some reason, intriguing.)

6) Come Get Some ROOSTER (Great guitar sound, don't know if it's technically brilliant but I always have to stop and listen to this, and I notice that The Long Drop  did some photos for them too, more coincidences)

7) This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of us SPARKS ( Just like it.. a lot)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 17:13

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 22 2005, 16:04)
C'mon then - kick Rafferty into touch and give me some more great introductions to add to my collection!

I can't. That's the only song in my head now.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 04:30

For the Rolling Stones, I'd pick Gimme Shelter (it doesn't get any more powerful than that).

How could you possibly pick one song for, say, The Beatles though?  Would you go early, middle or late period?  Too hard I say!  I think most classic artists deserve at least 3 songs before a newbie could begin to get a handle on them....

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 05:55

Beethoven's 5th.

OK, not exactly a single, but a great introduction.  :D
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 08:07

I think you missed the meaining of 'introductions' here Jules, Alan was talking about introduction as in the start of the song, not as in introducing a fan to the music.

It's a very interesting idea for a list Alan, but I'm finding it hard to think, especially of songs that were singles.  

Speaking of introductions and Neil Young, I'm listing to his 'Cortez the Killer' right now. Probably wasn't a single, but I'm always partial to a song that has a 3 minute guitar solo before the lyrics start. Being a Yes fan, I'm used to that sort of thing :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 08:37

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 24 2005, 08:07)
I think you missed the meaining of 'introductions' here Jules, Alan was talking about introduction as in the start of the song, not as in introducing a fan to the music.

It's a very interesting idea for a list Alan, but I'm finding it hard to think, especially of songs that were singles.  

Speaking of introductions and Neil Young, I'm listing to his 'Cortez the Killer' right now. Probably wasn't a single, but I'm always partial to a song that has a 3 minute guitar solo before the lyrics start. Being a Yes fan, I'm used to that sort of thing :)

You're right, Alex.  I read the original post too fast and got hold of the wrong end of the stick....and then I ran with it.

Yeah, Neil's Cortez is awesome, but I guess that's a pretty subtle introduction....and no, probably not a single.....

Oh and don't go comparing Neil to Yes or I may have to take measures!  ;)

OK, so, in that case.....

The Beatles - I Feel Fine
The Stones - Honky Tonk Women
The Who - Substitute
The Kinks - You Really Got Me
The Beach Boys - California Girls
The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday
Pink Floyd - Money
Creedence - Up Around The Bend

That's the trick for a good single - hit 'em right in the solar plexus from the git-go!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 09:50

Kraftwerk have great ones, too - "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8" or "Boing Boom Tschak" spring to mind.  :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 14:00

Some of these I don't know - but George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord' is a good call, Bee - and of course that Kinks item, Jules. Should've remembered those.

I was bothered about limiting the game to singles, if only because my 5th choice would have been from an album: the overwhelming live intro to 'Baby Let Me Follow You Down' on Dylan's Live 66 Manchester album - so if anyone wants to push at the boundaries, why not? And I'm for letting Beethoven in too. The really important thing is those first few hair-standing-on-back-of-neck seconds as it starts.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 14:08

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 24 2005, 14:00)
The really important thing is those first few hair-standing-on-back-of-neck seconds as it starts.

Did anyone else see the recent episode of "The Simpsons" in which they got a new concert hall? The grand opening featured "Beethoven's Fifth" with full orchestra.

After the first four notes, everyone got up and left, saying that the first four notes were all that mattered. Lenny even  said "Sounds better on my cell phone" and demonstrated the ring tone as he walked out.

Marge mentioned a stampede to get out at another concert when Philip Glass played. I remembered this line, having witnessed one of these for real.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 14:23

Survivor- Eye Of The Tiger
Sibelius- Symphony nr.3
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 05:24

Deep purple - Smoke On The Water
                  Black Knight
                  Highway Star

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Led Zeppelin   Stairway To Heaven
Dire Straits    Money For Nothing
Eagles          Hotel California
Pink Floyd      Wish You Were Here
Thin Lizzy      Whisky In The Jar
Blue Oyster Cult   Don't Fear The Reaper
The Surfaris     Wipeout(for my brother who's still back there somewhere!;)

These are just a few that I could immediately recall.Among those already chosen: Layla - Derek And The Dominoes
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison & The Beatles - I Feel Fine.
All classic greats & as for Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street,this was one single I bought just for the music alone & not the song as a whole.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 06:51

Quote (Harmono @ Aug. 24 2005, 14:23)
Survivor- Eye Of The Tiger

Oh please!  You're having a laugh!!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 08:14

Quote (tansy @ Aug. 25 2005, 10:24)
Dire Straits    Money For Nothing

Not surprised that this has come up. I'd wondered about including it myself.

@Jules - Haven't heard it for a long time, but I remember that 'Eye of the Tiger' intro as being pretty powerful, myself. What the problem with it, Jules?
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 22 2005, 12:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net