Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Simple complexity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tranquilinho Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 27 2008, 18:55

Yesterday I was hearing for the 1000th time Platinum and I realized the wondeful and subtle charles work in Platinum finale. It's a really creative pattern oposed to the simplicity of the drum and the snare marking the 2/4.

At first glance, Platinum songs are simple and "commercial", but if you listen carefully you realize layers and layers of beauty and genius, as Mike has made us used to.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2008, 19:52

Well, Platinum did something I thought couldn't be done: make me like a piece by Gershwin!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 16:06

Platinum is Mike's jazziest album. The part just before Charleston is really complex harmonically. It could be the fact that he more or less used Pierre Moerelen's Gong as his backing band at the time.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2009, 05:52

Platinum is an example of Mike's finest work. The subtle layering of melodies, the unique Oldfield "sound" we are accustomed to. There must be some joy in creating new pieces for Mike...surely does not hate music....does he? Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 08:09

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 02 2008, 16:06)
Platinum is Mike's jazziest album. The part just before Charleston is really complex harmonically. It could be the fact that he more or less used Pierre Moerelen's Gong as his backing band at the time.

yeah i'd say that's part of the reason.Certainly PM's Gong had an influence on him.Just listen to Downwind by them.Very strong similarities.Mike himself mentioned that his work on this album had a strong jazz-rock element.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Sep. 27 2008, 18:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net