Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Similarities between Mike and Metallica song< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 17:43

The intro from the song "The day that never comes" from Metallica really sound like Enigmatism from Mike. Here I did a 30 sec. sample for you to hear:

http://www.4shared.com/audio....ne.html

First is Enigmatism followed by Metallica.

I don't see it as a "rip-off", but I wonder if the Metallica composer heard Enigmatism at least once in his life.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 18:34

IMHO that arpeggio isn't even original to Mike. It has its roots in folk music. I've heard it used before Mike by Ritchie Blackmore in his folk-inspired Blackmore's Night band, and if I recall correctly even someone like Jimmy Page made good use of something like that ("Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"). James Hetfield didn't need to listen to Enigmatism to get that, it's probably a reminiscence from his childhood - from some folk piece he used to play on an acoustic guitar. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
oGUH Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2011, 19:08

And if you had sampled the second higher-pitched part of Oldfield's riff and had sped up Metallica's we wouldn't even have heard a least difference
Profile PM 
2 replies since Sep. 25 2010, 17:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net