Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Mike do it again?, Hergest Ridge 2004 Ommadawn 2005...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 09 2005, 11:59

ugghh... (Shudders)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 17:12

Quote (hiawatha @ May 09 2005, 10:50)
Or, imagine the title track of "Crises" but with nothing but "Tubular Bells 1" era instruments.

I think that would be just great. But on the other hand, I think Crises works with all the electronics. But Crises is quite similiar to TB part I anyway, so I can easily hear most of the track with just old-time instrumentation. The only passage that I would have a hard time interpretating this way is the fast bit (the first vocal section). That bit has always been the "action section" to me. It makes me think of a TV series of some sorts.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 11 2005, 12:28

It would be quite a challenge reproducing that night-like, silky texture of the original Crises with TB-era instrumentation. On the other hand, it could produce a really cool effect if done right.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 11 2005, 20:17

Quote (familyjules @ Mar. 10 2005, 09:48)
Quote (Guest @ Mar. 09 2005, 14:39)
Also, a sequel to Incantations, or in DVD terminology, a "Directors Cut" of that album, with alternate edits, like those included on the Space Movie. They sound really great.

I really like this idea of a 'director's cut of' Incantations!

As long as it is a cut... I'm not sure I'd like it if Incantations was longer. It has great moments of course, but I always thought that somewhere in Incantations was a really good 2-part piece. Unlike many other pieces by Mike, I really have to be in the right mood to listen to Incantations.

Also about the idea of re-doing TSODE with 1970s instrumentation, TSODE was Mike trying to push himself. He said in an interview at the time about how he was really trying not to use the same sounds and styles he might do normally - several layers of strummed acoustic guitars and things. So I'm not sure if that would really work.

I'd prefer that he kept making new music rather than going back and re-doing older stuff - there are enough fans re-recording his stuff already (and I am one of them...). If it's sound quality you want improving, you just have to hope that someone pulls out the multitrack someday and remixes it.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 12 2005, 06:08

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ May 11 2005, 20:17)
Also about the idea of re-doing TSODE with 1970s instrumentation, TSODE was Mike trying to push himself. He said in an interview at the time about how he was really trying not to use the same sounds and styles he might do normally - several layers of strummed acoustic guitars and things. So I'm not sure if that would really work.

I guess Mike was very pleased with TSODE. As a fan of Mike's ealy work it's easy to assume that he's "Failed" with his 90s/00s work, but it's likely that Mike would have made TSODE allready in 1975 if he only could. Creative musicians are allways developing their music, and it's possible that I as a fan only enjoy certain phases of this process.
Perhaps I should take an exegesis course to see if I enjoy Mike's later albums more after that!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
WeeJee Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 08:50

Remaking his early albums seems to me to be a bit redundant, wouldn't you agree? Doing the same thing over and over is a matter of going in circles, whereas completely new music is as refreshing as the summer rain. We don't want such a talented artist to lose the ability to invent and give himself writer's block! Or, errmm... composer's block!

And of course, in the year 2054 we will have the same conversation. Ooh, ooh, should Mike remake Tubular Bells 2034 and Incantations 2049?? Using the new 5-dimensional soundscaping musical virtual reality soundification devices just invented??

No. I for one want to hear what Mike can do with new-fangled instruments and technologies using the full capabilities of his God-given creative/inventive genius; not through the continual revisitation of historical sites, pretty though they be.

Excited as I was to get TB2003, it doesn't come close to what I'm feeling right now, waiting for Light & Shade!  :O
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 18:15

Nooooooo!!!  You can't improve on perfection :/ .  Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are perfect in every way to me :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
MyCoalField Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 19:38

Believe it or not, I actually prefer listening to some of my original vinyl  / tape versions of Mike's work (especially tubes, Five Miles Out and Discovery).

When you have listened to a piece of music so many times in a particular format, it becomes like a companion that you know and trust.

When I listened to the remastered versions of some of these albums, although it was exciting to hear elements of the music that had previously been hidden / blurred on the original, somehow that original companion had gone. (Ref: Discovery) Some of the mystical synth echos and vocal effects suddenly became too clinical and it was almost as if you could hear Mike pressing buttons in a studio.

The greatest shock I ever had was when I listened to Jarre's Equinoxe on CD for the first time. My original tape version had a fault on it which slowed the music in one particuar section. I had always assumed that this is how the section should play and given the nature of the music, it actually worked very well!!

Took me ages to actually accept the real version.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 16:07

Care to pinpoint which segment of Equinoxe is that? I'm a big fan of the album, and I'm curious now!

I had Meddle on cassette once, and due to the godawful method I employed to get it recorded (cheap technology demands that kind of contrived stuff), it had a half-second slowdown near the end of "Echoes". Whenever I hear that piece now, I still expect that fault to be there. I hate that.

(hope this post stands as a small side-note in the thread)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 06:02

In another 30 years time perhaps Mike should re-record Tb 2003. Then it would be Tubular Bells 2003 2033  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2007, 05:05

No I hope not as it will just create arguments about which is best (original or remake) such as the one we have with TB.

Sometimes its always best to follow the old maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Yes, some would argue the production qualities of TB, HR, O and I were perhaps not the best in the world, but that only add to the overall quality of the album in my book. Doing a remake will obviously erase some of those quirks but will inevitably introduce new ones which will probably displease fans of the original and possibly of the newer generation.

Mike should continue experimenting with the new rather than trying to reinvent the wheel with new technology - it doesn't always bring about favourable results
Profile PM 
30 replies since Mar. 05 2005, 13:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net