Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Mike do it again?, Hergest Ridge 2004 Ommadawn 2005...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2005, 13:14

Would you like Mike to re-record the other  albums of the Holly triology and other cd  if yes please indicate wich one
me I think Platinum would be great if it happen to be re-recorded once again.

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2005, 20:21

Apart from the fact that the "Holy Trilogy" thing sounds a little bit exaggerated to me :), I don't think that Mike should re-record anything from his old catalogue. He re-did TB and that's fine, because it was a matter of personal satisfaction (he was unsatisfied with the original), but now IMHO he should do new music, not new versions of old music. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 05 2005, 21:54

I'd love to see Hergest Ridge rerecorded. I thought that album was pretty low quality. I was gonna say not Ommadawn, but some parts of that I don't think were loud enough, so I wouldn't mind it rerecorded either. We always have the originals at the same time anyway.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2005, 08:12

1 - When you rework one album, and think of reworking another, you're running the risk of becoming obsessive;
2 - Tubular Bells already lost its charm completely in the new version, we don't need another album suffering the same fate;
3 - Tubular Bells 2003 wasn't well received, overall. He does that again, and he'll turn into self-parody;
4 - Better technology doesn't necessarily equal better music. Sound quality isn't everything.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude. I just had to say that somehow.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mike
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 14:39

Yes. Hergest Ridge. It's such a good album, but generally has low quality sound. Also, a sequel to Incantations, or in DVD terminology, a "Directors Cut" of that album, with alternate edits, like those included on the Space Movie. They sound really great.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 14:54

As "Incantations" is my favorite, I could go for a reworking/sequel. I've never heard anything from him (or anyone else! ) anything like the first third of part 1, or the long guitar solo in the middle of part 3, so something in that vein would be appreciated, at least by me.

A "director's cut" would be fine, however, adding "Strange Ones", the missing chant from Part 4, etc.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 15:38

I shudder thinking of what a Hergest Ridge re-recording could result in. In a way, that album is even more mystical than Tubular Bells, and there are many gorgeous passages that depend a lot on subtlety - a concept Mike seems to have erased completely from his ditcionary. You know the choral section at the end of part 1? I doubt Mike would want to gather an actual choir to perform that passage. It would be easier to replace it with some nasty synthetic choir, which would completely ruin the mood.

I also love Incantations, but it pleases me to think that it's totally one-of-a-kind. Makes it even more special, and even more treasurable.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 15:42

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 06 2005, 14:12)
1 - When you rework one album, and think of reworking another, you're running the risk of becoming obsessive;
2 - Tubular Bells already lost its charm completely in the new version, we don't need another album suffering the same fate;
3 - Tubular Bells 2003 wasn't well received, overall. He does that again, and he'll turn into self-parody;
4 - Better technology doesn't necessarily equal better music. Sound quality isn't everything.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound rude. I just had to say that somehow.

Fully agree.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2005, 20:46

I agree with Musty, why re-do an album? It would have to lose something surely, and while Mike may improve it with technology he could never input the same amount of enthusiasm or plain hard work. I understand him re-doing TB because it has been his biggest success and he was never happy with the final result, but the cynics would have a field day if he made a habit of it. Anyway, that is time taken away from him developing something new. I do wonder though now that he seems to be happy and content in his personal life if we lose something in the music compared to the angst written stuff from his 20's but that just goes to show all the more why he shouldn't re-visit the past. New Mike, New Music, it's as it should be.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2005, 04:48

Quote (Guest @ Mar. 09 2005, 14:39)
Yes. Hergest Ridge. It's such a good album, but generally has low quality sound. Also, a sequel to Incantations, or in DVD terminology, a "Directors Cut" of that album, with alternate edits, like those included on the Space Movie. They sound really great.

I really like this idea of a 'director's cut of' Incantations!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Wanderer
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 03:05

A recording of one of his instrumental compositions performed by another artist / band / ensemble I would find interesting.

But I feel Mike re-recording his own material is unneccessary.

I would rather hear new music from Mike - especially since I've been a strident apologist for much of the music he has produced in the last decade, which seems to have met with either indifference or disdain from the majority of the fan community.
PoC
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 19:10

I think the only reason for a re-recording is poor quality. The Orchestral Tubular Bells suffers above all others from this condition. It drowns in hum and pink noise, it sounds too thin, and it makes no real difference if one listens to it in mono or stereo.

Of course, one may try to digitally remaster it (as already and successfully done with TB1, but this wasn't in such a bad state). I also wrote to ORSO (http://www.orso.org/), a locally active orchestra in the southwest of germany if they have interest to do a rework of it. Since it's already arranged for orchestra, it should be fairly easy. They are good, have been on two concerts. Perhaps they'll do it if more people bug them? No one says Mike has to do all by himself. :-)

:wq! PoC
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2005, 12:47

Well I believe that the idea of an update of a of 1973's Tubular Bells is kind of recent because in the "Millenium Bell" dvd, in the mike's interview he says:"It will be the last piece of music wich has the bell written on." about the Millenium Bell.
So in the end I think he was the second and the third tubular bell...
The debate is open if you want to talk about that post let me know about it :)  :)  :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2005, 11:36

Re-recordings of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn would be fantastic if it didn't delay the output of new material.

It's been 2 years since Tres Lunas - about time something new appeared.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
psychotic
Unregistered

Posted: April 07 2005, 18:47

Not now for me if he continues the trail of 3Lunas. Beautiful work that can be continued.
_Anyway Ommadawn is maybe his best_

Agree about his music needs more density now.

More wood and rumours. Less synth.
maria Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 19:06

i'm not either for the re recording of anything. sure ommadawn would sound great reworked nowadays, but i feel more like listening to something new with 'more wood and rumours'. it's a beautiful way to put it. i also want that.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 13:36

I think he should recreate all of his albums before TB II just to get them all to the same sound quality... or maybe even push them all up to 24/96. However, that would probably take the rest of his life, and I think a lot of us are still holding our breath over the supposed 'new direction' Tr3s Lunas has taken our dear Mike (refer to my post under Tr3s Lunas to read my rantings about that) so we will probably want to see more before revised.

Here's an alternate question:
Should he empower someone else to do it for him?
;)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 07:01

Quote (arron11196 @ April 12 2005, 13:36)
;)

as long as it is not some kind of crazy hippy or a rap singer or kyo (french people will understand) :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 10:42

Quote (Sonilink @ May 09 2005, 07:01)
Quote (arron11196 @ April 12 2005, 13:36)
;)

as long as it is not some kind of crazy hippy or a rap singer or kyo (french people will understand) :)

A crazy hippy sounds good to me. HR & Ommadawn are hippy albums by definition and should remain so.

Why not re-make TSODE or Voyager in the style of Mike's early albums? I feel that some songs on those albums could have been really good with less electronics and samples.

Damn! I can't get over the fact that Pierre M is dead.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 09 2005, 10:50

That's a very interesting idea. Or, imagine the title track of "Crises" but with nothing but "Tubular Bells 1" era instruments.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
30 replies since Mar. 05 2005, 13:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net