Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should I Buy It??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
LivingForever Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 06:32

For someone with all the regular albums from this period and the 'Complete Mike Oldfield', do you reckon the 4-CD box set is worth buying?

I'd like to have it but I don't know if I can justify the expense for something that has so much music I already own on it!

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 07:38

I have sold my box
Profile PM 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 09:16

don't buy it - if you have internet you will surely find all those "rare" tracks and even more like "Pictures in the dark","Froggy went a courting","The trap" or "In the pool"
check out the Links on TB net to find out more!

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 12:42

Well, if you have internet access, you can get just about every track Mike has ever released, but I'd not want to recommend that people illegally download them when they're readily available in the shops.

What I will say is that one of the attractions of the set is the booklet (though I don't know what the new one is like as far as the pictures go - I'd think they're quite a bit smaller than those in the original booklet which was larger), but you'll find more accurate information elsewhere, so it's not much of an attraction really...

A few of the tracks on there are alternate versions which you might not have heard, which would make it slightly more attractive.

It really is just up to you, whether you want to spend that much money on it or not (though I suppose you could always search for a second hand one).
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 04:55

I would buy one if I found it, much like I bought Boxed on LP even though I have all his albums. It would be a great collectable.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 18 2004, 09:05

Quote (raven4x4x @ July 18 2004, 04:55)
I would buy one if I found it, much like I bought Boxed on LP even though I have all his albums. It would be a great collectable.

Wasn't getting Boxed on LP the only way to get "Collaborations"?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2005, 08:06

I don't really if it's good but all I know is that it is my birthday present!!! :cool:

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 06:28

If you don't have 'pictures in the dark' and 'in the pool' I recommend that you get them.
Like Korgscrew, I'm also against the idea of downloading music illegally.
Though I don't feel too bad about downloading music that is unavailable for me to purchase without buying so much music I allready have. I feel that it is egually wrong for record companies to force buyers into buying songs they allready have, or don't like, just to get a few really good songs.
I believe you can buy the rights to individual songs online for a smaller price than the entire album, and I would recommend that you do this, if all you are missing from 'Exposed' is a few songs.
I hope that Mike will make a album with all his rareties, and then I would purchase that.
Otherwise I guess you will have to weigh out if the few songs you are missing is worth the price of the entire album.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 13:57

THERE IS ALSO A SINGLE ALBUM VERSION OF ELEMENTS, THAT IS ONE OF THE NEXT MO CDS I AM BUYING.  
:p  :p  :p
Profile PM 
Blackguard Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2005, 21:44

I bought a copy of Elements several years ago, partially because I collect boxed sets.  And because of the alternate and rare mixes.  I also believed at that time that box sets would be remastered in some essential manor.  

What I like now about Elements is the way the selections sound against each other.  The songs flow quite nicely and the set is not bloated with demo versions.  So we get a nice overview of his work.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2005, 14:49

Quote (torbenyj @ Oct. 16 2003, 07:38)
I have sold my box

what a waste

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 07:25

Quote (hiawatha @ July 18 2004, 09:05)
Quote (raven4x4x @ July 18 2004, 04:55)

Wasn't getting Boxed on LP the only way to get "Collaborations"?

Collaborations is split across all of the CDs in the current release of "Boxed" from my understanding.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 07:21

I have both the vinyl version and CD versions of Boxed and i must say that,although the tracks are split across the 3 cds i would have preffered this on a seperate disk.While we're on Boxed,but on a slightly seperate vain,can anyone tell me the main diferences between the remix and the original>i only hear some very subtle keyboard parts.Ta.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 06:04

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 05 2008, 07:21)
I have both the vinyl version and CD versions of Boxed and i must say that,although the tracks are split across the 3 cds i would have preffered this on a seperate disk.While we're on Boxed,but on a slightly seperate vain,can anyone tell me the main diferences between the remix and the original>i only hear some very subtle keyboard parts.Ta.

I agree - so cheap of Virgin to save the plastic - maybe having a go back at Mike?

I have it on order at the moment, when it arrives I will arrange myself a Collaborations CD the way it is supposed to be.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 06:56

I dunno if it's virgin having a go somemuch as being cheap in general.It was released on cd while Mike was still  on Virgin in the mid 80's i think (i may be wrong).There again the time constaints on LP would afect this also.For example George Harrison's All things must past has gone from 3 Lps to 2 cds as has his Concert for Bangladesh.Still a pain in the bum though.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 22:22

I can remember seeing a single vinyl album release of Collaborations in a local Virgin record store way back in the early 80`s .Don`t know if it was an import or a limited release or what.But they`d used the four photographs from boxed of him bouncing around on his trampolene for the front cover.(Woah! Rock on Mike I probably thought to myself at the time.) Kind of wished I`d bought it now even though I already owned the boxed album at that stage.Can`t say I`ve ever found any trace of it`s existance since mind I must admit.

To be honest if Virgin or universal were to put out a budget single cd release of Collaborations now I dare say it would sell quite well.Given their initial tight fistedness with the cd version of boxed which is a real pain I agree.You could maybe get some more of his stuff with Bedford and Ayers on there as well.Oh and not forgetting the trampolene cover of course.Would just about make it essential imo.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2008, 02:59

Woah!!!!!never heard of that,although the cover photo's from the booklet.Wow!I've done my own Collaborations onto cassette (ah remember spending fruitful hours retrieving chewed tape from player mechanism)with the better bits from his work with Bedford and stuff pre TB (Ayres/Sallyangie),but i didn't know that Virgin ever issued Collaborations as a single.Bit of a wasted opperyunity though,i agree.And yes it would be essential for the completist in me!!!Anyone else seen/own this?

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 25 2008, 04:00

I havenĀ“t seen a regular separate release of Collaborations yet but I do own a promotional copy of the single album without a cover.

:)
Profile PM 
16 replies since Oct. 16 2003, 06:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net