Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Shine, What do you think about it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
_ShiNe_ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2006, 11:39

Quote (Harmono @ Jan. 02 2006, 14:00)
maybe its about some woman, I prefer Mother Nature :)

Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 19:02

Big Yes fan - like this song.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 09:56

Is this one of the greatest Mike Olfield solo's ever?I think so.The whole solo start to finish is (to these ears)a masterpiece in condensed composition.The tone used is wonderfull as well,especially on the low bit where the sound of a wah pedal half cocked to boost the mids gives that unmistakable throaty and slightly hollow tone.
 You must have nearly all the Oldfield stuff available now if you're getting into the singles TC!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 18:10

So what the heck is wrong with a simple, happy song?  (Hey, that rhymed!)  I love the song and it's one of his best solos-perhaps because if you've given yourself 30 second in which to do it you have to cram it all in as fast as you can!  Just a feel-good tune that doesn't wear out it's welcome.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 05:33

Wow! That guitar solo is rather good now I listen back.I`m not a big fan of the song I`ll admit,which is maybe why I never fully appreciated it before.I love Yes though,and In High Places was one of the highlights from Crises for me.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 07:06

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 11 2008, 05:33)
Wow! That guitar solo is rather good now I listen back.I`m not a big fan of the song I`ll admit,which is maybe why I never fully appreciated it before.I love Yes though,and In High Places was one of the highlights from Crises for me.

Interesting, I like Yes as well, but feel the opposite about the two songs.  My eldest daughter reckons the vocals on both are bogus - can't all be Jon Anderson fans I guess  ;)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 18:21

Has everyone forgotten that almost all early-to-mid 80's music was cheesy?  C'mon... cheese is good for you!

Incidentally, if anyone is so inclined, check out a Yes song from a few years back called "The Calling".  It's killer!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 06:23

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 13 2008, 18:21)
Has everyone forgotten that almost all early-to-mid 80's music was cheesy?  C'mon... cheese is good for you!

Incidentally, if anyone is so inclined, check out a Yes song from a few years back called "The Calling".  It's killer!

The Calling is a cracking song I agree.Wasn`t too keen on the album it came from though(Talk).I thought their last album on the other hand(Magnification)was one of their greatest ever.If ever an album deserved a lot more success than it actually got it was that one.Apparently it`s one of the main reasons as to why Anderson has been very reluctant to record another one.Think it came out about 6/7 years ago now.I have heard they`re planning a 40th anniversary tour in the summer though.With any luck it might rekindle some intrest in a new studio project.Those dudes ain`t getting any younger after all.That said it`ll take some doing to top their last effort Imho.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 01 2014, 12:04

I can't recall anything about it.  I'll know it a bit when I next hear it... probably.  The Platinum Collection disc three is still missing and as I don't think it overwhelmed me... Well, we'll see at some point.

It's more salient to note that I knew of Shine and not much about it.  Jon Anderson was the only fact to ever stick.  I'm not even sure I ever even looked at Wikipedia on its behalf.  Consequently, I had a bit of a shock, on holiday the week before last, when I found a copy of the 7-inch in an Oxfam shop.  Singles from any artists can catch me out as I tend to know album covers more, and it was the case here - my visits to Amadian not really paying off. :(  I bought it, twinned with J-MJ's Revolutions 7-inch to make it 2 for 99p.  Of two other items, the LP of Orchestral made me wonder if these were the last surviving items of somebody's collection - it's been years and years since I've seen one of those.

It's in relatively good nick.  It looks as though there might be some marks on The Path which is a shame of course but the previously discussed state of my record player means that it will just join the pile of my meagre collection for the foreseeable.  Were I in any way serious, I'd be camped on the likes of eBay for everything and anything to appear, but the occasional physical browse pleases me more.  I'll still buy what takes my fancy but discoveries are only likely to become more random I guess.

It's this random discovery of this UK Top 100 smash that I'm now curious about.  How many copies of Shine would Virgin UK have pressed for sale, prior to knowing whether it would be the more advantageous Top 40 hit or not?  Members from this thread have come and gone and besides, like me by about three months,  their fanhood may have started at some point after.  But if I am attracting some relative old-timers' attention, were you one of the ones to take ownership of Shine back then?  Did you know to seek it out at its release and helped it reach no. 100, or find it by chance before or when it reached the bargain bins?  Could you indeed be the one from the south-west of England whose copy is currently mine? ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
autoq Offline

Posted: June 02 2014, 10:15

I forgot I had this in my big bag of old vinyls...I would maybe actually sell it if someone wants it ...   ;)

(did Mike do any other picture discs ?)
Profile PM 
autoq Offline

Posted: June 02 2014, 10:36

...subsequent searching has also uncovered the plain/normal 12-inch single disc version.  
I have also uncovered 12-inch singles versions of the following
"To France" with "In the Pool" and  "Bones" on the B-side.
"Pictures in the Dark" (Legend and The Trap on B-side)
"Crime of Passion"   (B-side Jungle Gardenia)

Does anyone know if if there was any difference between the 7 and 12-inch versions ?

Guess I must have bought these when they were released... ahh... those eager teenage days...
Anyone got a record player ?....
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: June 02 2014, 12:08

Quote (autoq @ June 02 2014, 15:36)
...subsequent searching has also uncovered the plain/normal 12-inch single disc version.  
I have also uncovered 12-inch singles versions of the following
"To France" with "In the Pool" and  "Bones" on the B-side.
"Pictures in the Dark" (Legend and The Trap on B-side)
"Crime of Passion"   (B-side Jungle Gardenia)

Does anyone know if if there was any difference between the 7 and 12-inch versions ?

Guess I must have bought these when they were released... ahh... those eager teenage days...
Anyone got a record player ?....

The 12" of shine, much the same as the 12" of MOST of Mike's stuff... isn't as good.

Mostly down to the fact that, ironically, it seems he wanted to give actual VFM and have not only a different mix, but an actually extended song.  As with Moonlight Shadow, Shine has an extended vocal, but the lyric is awful... ("Standing in New Space waiting at the sun... so you brought me back from darkness to where I belo-o-ong...")

The build and denoument isn't the same and sadly it falls flat.
I remember wiating to see this video premiering on UK TV (it had been trailed all over Breakfast TV that morning) and got it videod etc etc... I fell in love with it the first time I heard it, and the video itself is superb. (And of course, there is THAT solo....)
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: June 02 2014, 12:09

Also.. just blatant self-promotion... if you guys tuned into the JoeShow Oldfield Specials, you would HEAR all this stuff you didn;t know existed!  :D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 09 2014, 12:26

Good advice, Covenant, although it'll have to wait until I'm next borrowing family members' broadband!

Your reminisces show that they had a go at getting it out there but perhaps couldn't get much radio airplay - all too common a fate. :/   Never mind - perhaps all the clubbers would go crazy, freaking out to the 12-inch...

Congrats on still having yours, autoq.  My Guilty is the only example I've stumbled across, which does at least date from a time when Mike got the idea of doing something different for the other format.  For most of the rest of the era, it seems to have been a pain to him. :/

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
DOLOMITE Offline

Posted: May 09 2015, 17:23

Naff song, not a fan of Ayers vocals, but surely one of Oldfields best song guitar solo's? I love it. Would love to hear a more acoustic version with Anita H on vocals but keeping that solo.
Off to listen to it now!
Profile PM 
54 replies since April 12 2005, 21:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net