I liked the album then but I like it even more now 27  [32.14%]
I liked the album then but I like it less well now 5  [5.95%]
I did not like the album much and I like it even less now 17  [20.24%]
I have mixed feelings about it which have not changed 18  [21.43%]
Help me god, I don't know, I just don't know 4  [4.76%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Settled view of light and shade, Has your initial opinion changed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 16 2006, 05:07

Now that Light and Shade has been around for a few months, and we have had a chance to listen to it and others' views, I thought I'd ask to see if it has gone up or down in our estimation.

I personally find that I enjoy it more now, as my ears generally pick through the music and find touches I did not wholly appreciate at the outset, but it isn't one of those albums you get a shattering revelation about that changes your appreciation completely.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: April 16 2006, 10:57

I thought it was good, I still think it is good.

It doesn't get played much, because it doesn't fit in to my listening habits :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 16 2006, 14:21

By and large I still think its very very poor, a joint last place in his album rankings with the Millennium Bell. The only track thats grown on me at all is Rocky which is quite lovely if you're in the mood for it, and as someone correctly pointed out, it sounds like an Amarok out-take. TOAA is still superb, the high point by a long shot, Surfing is good if hugely underdeveloped (like a of Mike's output seems to be these days) but other than that for me the album either holds tracks like Lakme which are awful beyond belief or tracks like Nightshade or Slipstream which are just utterly bland and vacuous, the sort of stuff teenagers frequently knock out in their bedrooms (though they may do it better)

Whats interesting is that I get the impression that Mike himself, let alone the record company, might not have been to bothered by the finished result, hence the fact he did as little as was needed promotion. Perhaps only Earthmoving was as flippant and derided as this.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 16 2006, 14:25

I was pleasantly surprised with it in the beginning, because it turned out to be better than pretty much every post-Virgin album he made. But as a whole, I have little use for it, really. Several individual songs are worth having, but I wouldn't kill for it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 20:01

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 16 2006, 20:25)
I was pleasantly surprised with it in the beginning, because it turned out to be better than pretty much every post-Virgin album he made. But as a whole, I have little use for it, really. Several individual songs are worth having, but I wouldn't kill for it.

Completely agree with that. L+S has several pretty good tracks, a couple of damn good tracks... and several pieces of real junk.

Guess which one is each... ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 19 2006, 10:06

If I lost the CD I wouldn't be very anxious to replace it, though I'd mourn the loss of Tears of an Angel. As time has gone on, I've enjoyed it less and less and found it increasingly sterile.
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: April 20 2006, 13:05

I agree with Toby and Alan.

This album has really good tracks and really bad tracks, but as a whole is one of the worst albums by Mike Oldfield

For me, L&S isn't Mike Oldfield. I'm sorry but it is my opinion
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: April 20 2006, 15:58

I still feel like not going to buy it.

cheerz
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 20 2006, 18:03

I am certain there are garageband loops on this album - I recognise them.  For a composer and Guitar virtuoso I am suprised at this use of equivalent of UHT Milk!

Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: April 20 2006, 22:20

I listened to it again today for the first time since it was released.  I must admit I skipped past most of the tracks.  It is not a CD I will play again for a long time, I'm sorry to say.  All that being said, there are a few really wonderful tracks, Sunset being my favorite.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 21 2006, 07:17

I did not like it too much right at the beginning, then I started liking it more and more... and now I think it's the best he's done since the genius that was Guitars  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 21 2006, 09:02

Slipstream is NOT MO at all for me...

Mike's guitar work on Shade is quite exciting to me,the last time he did rock to me on that subject was on Guitars...

Ringscape isn't a Shade,but a Light track to me...

Shade is always spinnin', Light is just a few tracks(Angelique and Blackbird)...

...and I'm still addicted to Nightshade(what happened to that German promo version with that gorgeous guitar solo in the end?)

;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2006, 11:49

I love Surfing and TOAA is a close second. I still like Angelique and Our Father too. Those songs are the top 2 on each CD for me. There are also other enjoyable ones like Cook's Tune and Ringscape. On the whole it's something that's half better and half worse than Tr3s Lunas, if that makes sense. The themes are more enjoyable than Tr3s Lunas', though. I like Slipstream. I have the original with FL Studio and it sounds pretty different in comparrison.

I'd say it was an interesting effort for a double album. If it was in the top 10 list it would be near the end for me, but still. I enjoy it sometimes.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
SniperSight Offline

Posted: April 21 2006, 15:59

When I first listened to L+S I found it strange,(I still liked it though) just because its so different to his other works... But I have to say given time I've really grown to like it. Thats my opinion and i'm sticking to it........... Besides kudos for trying something so different!!!
Profile PM WEB 
Notarok Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 21 2006, 19:42

All of Mike's albums grow on me, I think...trying to think if there is an exception, but no, I  don't think there is. The Millennium Bell did fade away a little because I loved it at first and now, I like it well enough.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 21 2006, 20:30

My view is still good when i listen to it.
I recently made a whole mix of light and shade. Its a complex mixed album with 4 tracks. Light part one and two, and shade part one and two. I had an idea to mix them together and then give it too them who have light and shade.
Mail me if you want it, i have a link to it, so its possible to download anytime!
;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: April 22 2006, 06:25

Liked Light + Shade when I first heard it, and still liking it :) It is different, and there are a couple of tracks I'm not so mad about.But on the whole, with tracks like TOAA,Sunset,Surfing,Our Father ....  :D At first,I couldn't understand why I wasn't very fond of Nightshade.Obviously couldn't have been focusing on it properly att,love it now.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: April 26 2006, 05:29

I have now finally listened to the album and I am afraid to say, I didn't like it one bit. I think the problem with the music he is doing now is that it is all sounding a bit generic, is almost always in simple 4/4 time and dosent really have anything striking about it. If you think of the music we all loe of mikes, they tend to have complex hythms, melodies that have twists and turns etc

I really love his music and cant wait for the new stuff he is doing but i really did not enjoy this album.

Thats just my view of course ;)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 26 2006, 11:03

It's grown on me (...like a wart) - First time I heard it I wanted to break down and cry at how awful it was, but then I took it walking with me and listened through my headphones as I was falling down hills and avoiding cowpats, and... I realised then once you've got over the hurdle of expecting it to be like some of Mike's earlier stuff, it's not really that bad.  Certainly better than some of the other c**p out there! That said - it won't be the album of Mike's that'll be on my CD player most often...  :/

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Falc04 Offline

Posted: May 19 2006, 10:00

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ April 21 2006, 11:49)
I love Surfing and TOAA is a close second. I still like Angelique and Our Father too. Those songs are the top 2 on each CD for me. There are also other enjoyable ones like Cook's Tune and Ringscape. On the whole it's something that's half better and half worse than Tr3s Lunas, if that makes sense. The themes are more enjoyable than Tr3s Lunas', though. I like Slipstream. I have the original with FL Studio and it sounds pretty different in comparrison.

I'd say it was an interesting effort for a double album. If it was in the top 10 list it would be near the end for me, but still. I enjoy it sometimes.

I agree completely with you.  

I've been enjoying this double album since it was released and, if it's possible, more so now.
Profile PM 
44 replies since April 16 2006, 05:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net