Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Sentinel" Language< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 11:55

I might have asked this before, but I can't find it in search. Is there any idea about what language the lyrics to "The Sentinel" are in?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 18:46

It's not a language. They are invented words. "Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh." :D It vaguely sounds like "Money-eh, money-eh-oh, my money"... :p... but to me it's just meaningless sounds. What Sally Bradshaw (the soprano voice) sings is probably Latin, but I can't make it out.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 20:43

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 03 2011, 18:46)
It's not a language. They are invented words. "Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh." :D It vaguely sounds like "Money-eh, money-eh-oh, my money"... :p... but to me it's just meaningless sounds.

Over to you, I1  :D
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 21:10

My stab would be English as "SO FAR" as I can tell & ("FURTHER FURTHER") see or here hear the meaning of the words! all apart from what sounds like "K HO HO" and I would guess at this, being north american Indian in origin, & that is all so far as I can tell unless you read below.
(BE SURE TO SEE OR BE A SENTINEL\WATCHER OF THE THIRD VIDEO)

The MaestrO at work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMksPmJiMV4

HD definition with nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lmkWIe2SxXg

Now the one which will/should spell it out to you, an american Indian girl (if there really can be such a thing hence the small "a") sings the word sounding like "MONEY"!!! whilst in the back ground are images of broken down societies that were based on WHAT?*****? £€$.+PLUS+ a sentinel is a GAURD and what do these people do?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5yE9krsUY
AHA II:Oh7  ;)  II:one+nine  ;)  ;)
SORRY UGO, IMHO not "meaningless" but PERFECT SENSE to "I". Some things require more than the ears in order to understand the true meaning some times only the eyes see what the ears can not tell or relay to the mInd\"id". I1 in answer.

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 21:20

You did it again young Nightspore, just when I was pulling together my reply you snuck in how do you do that.

You must have an Internet nose for knowing where I am, or you have a bug/spy on me  :D

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 22:04

Quote (0 @ 1(I1)+Sep. 03 2011, 21:20)
You did it again young Nightspore, just when I was pulling together my reply you snuck in how do you do that.

You must have an Internet nose for knowing where I am, or you have a bug/spy on me  :D

Serves you right for creeping up on me everywhere, I1  :p

Mike is saying MA E A, MA E A... Perhaps it's a call to the mothers of the world to visit the beautiful island of Aeaea, mentioned in the Pacha Mama thread. On the other hand, perhaps not!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 00:35

that proves you do not read what I write the words that are sung are  "money" just made to sound musical, like "mon-e-eay" "mon"-"mon" "mon-e-ay" did you watch the third video?

The girl is First native north american in looks & dress + the dance she does + the Indian chief who has a american soldiers cap on his head + if I am not mistaken the words my-hay-mit & KHOHO are Indian words, also I think that I remember hearing once that before the white man splattered them with our c**p they had no word for money or concept of it! only trading in goods.

Does anyone know sign language? if so please take a look at the Sentinel TV commercial above posted.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 03:01

Quote (0+1(I1) @ Sep. 04 2011, 00:35)
that proves you do not read what I write

About quarter past two :p  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 07:08

The promotional video has nothing to do with the song nor it is intended to represent its meaning (if any). It's just graphics.

And anyway...
SORRY UGO, IMHO not "meaningless" but PERFECT SENSE to "I".

Just what I was expecting to happen. :laugh: :D

The word is not "Money". It's ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh. (written phonetically). I've listened very closely to all of the three videos and the N-sounds are just not there. I'm not sure whether ma-y-yeh makes sense in some Native American language or some African one (the latter sounds more likely than the former), but to me it doesn't make any sense. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 07:14

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 04 2011, 07:08)
It's ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh. (written phonetically). I've listened very closely to both videos and the N-sounds are just not there. I'm not sure whether ma-y-yeh makes sense in some Native American language or some African one (the latter sounds more likely than the former), but to me it doesn't make any sense. :)

I didn't think I was hearing things!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 07:18

@ Daniel/nightspore, whoever said you were??? :laugh: Like with every single instance of Mike's mysterious words/lyrics, everyone here interprets the sounds according to his/her/their native language. Mine is Italian, and I hear ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh. I'm not sure about what you hear. ;)

By the way, I'd love to visit the beautiful island of Aeaea as well. Any clue on where is it? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 07:33

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 04 2011, 07:18)
By the way, I'd love to visit the beautiful island of Aeaea as well. Any clue on where is it? :laugh:

Probably only Circe knows...  On the other hand, Wikipedia has this:

"Though the somewhat inconsistent geography of the Odyssey is often considered more mythic than literal, Aeaea was later identified by classical Roman writers with Mount Circeo on Cape Circaeum on the western coast of Italy — about 100 kilometers south of Rome — which may have looked like an island due to the marshes and sea surrounding its base but is, in fact, a small peninsula. It was already a peninsula in the days of Dionysius of Halicarnassus, according to his work. However, it may have been still an island in the days of Homer, with a long "lido" or sandy peninsula that gradually became attached to the mainland, in a common geological process.

The modern Greek scholar Ioannis Kakridis, who insisted that any attempt of realistic identification is vain, argued that Homer thought of Aeaea somewhere in the Eastern part of his world, perhaps near Colchis, since Circe was daughter of the Sun, sister of Aeëtes and aunt of Medea (another sorceress), and the goddess Dawn had her palace there.

Archeologists have identified one cave or grotto on the cape as "Grotta della Maga Circe", the cave of Circe. A second was found on the nearby Island of Ponza. It is believed that the Circe had her Summer home on Mount Circe and her Winter home on Ponza which may possibly be the island of Aeaea."
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 15:58

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 03 2011, 18:55)
I might have asked this before, but I can't find it in search. Is there any idea about what language the lyrics to "The Sentinel" are in?

To attempt to keep Hiawatha's Topic from getting derailed I am re-posting the starting post as I feel it is unfair to Hiawatha to go off on a tangent into areas that have their own TOPIC/thread else where, (PACHA MAMA TOPIC CAN BE FOUND HERE: [ http://tubular.net/forums....=10246] for people who might like to comment further).

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 17:24

It's all just improvised stereotype "ethnic" chants. Mike's music is so wonderful that it's tempting to assume that it has more substance to it than it actually has.
Mike is one of those musicians who just want his music to sound good. I don't think he cares too much for the intellectual side of it. Someone like Robert Fripp is much more likely to add easter eggs and hidden meanings to his music.
Just my two cents!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 18:02

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 04 2011, 01:46)
It's not a language. They are invented words. "Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh." It vaguely sounds like "Money-eh, money-eh-oh, my money"... :p... but to me it's just meaningless sounds. What Sally Bradshaw (the soprano voice) sings is probably Latin, but I can't make it out.

Ugo in your first post as quoted above you have the words as being:-[ "Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh." It vaguely sounds like "Money-eh, money-eh-oh, my money"... ] Then in your second post you say this:-[The word is not "Money". It's ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh. (written phonetically).] & in your third post add this:-[everyone here interprets the sounds according to his/her/their native language. Mine is Italian, and I hear ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh. I'm not sure about what you hear.].

In case you did not realise\detect what you wrote, what seems ironic to me is that in your ending the above piece with the words:-[I'm not sure about what you hear].  One is forced to answer this by saying that, it would appear that you are not sure about what you hear either! as first you write the sound to your ears is "Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh." but go on to write it sounds to you vaguely like money.  Then you have a change of mind and write this:-"ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh", Ugo you now have changed "U"'s to "A"'s !! yet never mind it is only a song with words innit! so cheer up & be happy he of Italian ears. :D

I think as you say Ugo this is all going to rely on the bias of the ear towards ones native tongue unless one hears in many tongues or allows the video created by Mike to give them further insight.  However to my ears I can hear the words are spoken with a native north pre American tongue, the sound in the words if you listen very carefully is there for you to hear also.
Which as you Ugo and many others including myself hear in varying degrees to sound like the word MONEY and that is what I am saying it sounds like money & this makes sense as it fits with the video.

Here is a higher resolution U TUBE VIDEO of the SENTINEL (official promotional version with graphics from Mike!!!;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5M46Q4POEA&feature=related

I previously alluded to the white man's invasion of the lands of the pre american northern Indians and the corruption & attempted destruction (almost to the point of genocide!! ) of their history & way of life.  Also I pointed to their having no concept of money, & thus they had no word for it, that I can find.  Therefore would this not be a sign that for Mike to have an Indian girl sing (& sign?) this word in the video with images of ruined economies in the scenes where the structures of trade & commerce & even religion have fallen apart based upon money (& greed for material wealth) that the word you UGO are contesting to be nonsensical, yet even you say sounds like money is indeed most likely to be "MONEY".  Only sung lyrically in an Indian sounding tongue to point out where Mike thinks the rest of the world has lost it's way.

This to me makes perfect sense & seems to be the logical conclusion.  What we hear is the sound of the adopted word sung to fit the music "IM(MOST)HO", I1 now rest my case, over & out!.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 21:19

The limestone landscape (with the statue of Apollo) reminds me a great deal of Max Ernst's painting The Eye of Silence,which I posted in the painting thread some weeks ago.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 00:48

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 05 2011, 04:19)
The limestone landscape (with the statue of Apollo) reminds me a great deal of Max Ernst's painting The Eye of Silence,which I posted in the painting thread some weeks ago.

Have you got a link so people can go take a look?

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 01:44

Probably easiest if I just repost it here.

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 05:56

@ eye-one: please don't twist my words (again). I did not change my mind. I wrote the same thing in two different ways. Muy-yeh, muy-yeh oh, muy muy-yeh was an attempt to write it in English ortography. Ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh is phonetic, i.e. to be read exactly as written. I didn't change U's to A's, I just changed the orthography. I didn't realize that this change would be so important. However, I was talking to nightspore, pointing out that in my mother tongue the words sounds like ma-y-yeh, ma-y-yeh oh, ma-y-ma-y-yeh, and that everyone who has a different mother tongue from mine can hear and intepret them in a different way.

Once again let me repeat that I don't think that the word is "money", nor it is intended to sound like "money". The similarity is coincidental. The word was there in the original track on the album, which came out much earlier than the video. If Mike really wanted to attach a meaning to it, he would have done a much better job of it already in the album - he didn't need a video to reinforce its supposed meaning.

@ nightspore: thanks a lot for the pic, very cool. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2011, 01:01

I am sorry Ugo I thought you had changed your mind about the sound of the words.  I had no idea that sounds could change dependant upon where you where born, I did not understand that a "U" sound in English, would be a "A" sound in Italian that to me is nonsensical but I must take your word as ergo as I know no different.

Therefore could I ask how one should pronounce "ITALIAN"? would that be with 2 "U"'s, here the "A's sound like an English "A" does (http://www.forvo.com/search/italian/ ).

Also Ugo because the sounding of your name in my tongue is "YOU GO"! should one read it as "AGO"? or "OO GO" as it was shown on one pronunciation page, yet on another it was "UU GO" & then here it is "uwGOW"  (http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Ugo) or should one make the sound "HUGH" or "HUGO"? and lastly does it have a meaning?.

Back on topic are you really saying in your last post that the video, Mike made for this music has nothing to do with his interpretation of it, or what he may have been inspired by in creating the music? even that it is just a collection of random images as you said elsewhere about other videos?.

If so then I am flabbergasted! as everything I have ever come across seems to present the opposite view, in that Mike is very caring with the production of his videos and takes a hands on approach in their creation even to the point of setting up his own production unit in his home.

So again Ugo I can not see how your opinion that these images to the music do not go together & make sense, to me the word money fits & I would put mine on it.

I do not think there is any more I can add here so I will return to my duties elsewhere.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Sep. 03 2011, 11:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net