Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sentinel and The Bell, different versions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DarkFeline Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 02:14

Just wondering, is Sentinel and The Bell in XXV different from the ones in Tubular Bells II? And what versions are they? Is Sentinel the single restructure or Early Stages or another kind? Is the MC of The Bell Viv Stanshall or Billy Connolly?

Haven't got out and bought it yet, so I'm wondering if it's worth it or not.  :p

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:41

Yes, they're different versions from those on the album - Sentinel is the Single Restructure and The Bell is the Viv Stanshall version (which is also a shortened, single version).

The excerpt from Tubular Bells III is also different to that on the album (it's an early version of The Source Of Secrets). Unlike the other two tracks, the Tubular Bells III track is only available on this compilation (the two from TB2 can be found on singles, though they're harder to find than a copy of XXV).

The other tracks on the compilation are just the same as on the albums, making it rather less interesting than it could have been. Still, if you want those three tracks mentioned above, it's a reasonably good way of getting them.
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 09:34

Thanks Korg! I've heard a lot about the TBIII excerpt, but then again I only have a tiny fragment of the entire MO collection at the moment. For the same reason as XXV, Elements is as tempting too. ;)

Erm, that leads me to another question, is Sentinel on Elements the same version in the album?

Please shut me up if I'm asking too many questions.  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 13:57

Quote (Andylkl @ Dec. 13 2005, 15:34)
For the same reason as XXV, Elements is as tempting too. ;)

Elements is a great compilation (no the Best-of Elements) it covers almost all the good stuf from the Virgin-era+ some B-Sides like Vivaldi concerto in C,the path, blue peter,legend, ect...
Plus it's a very beatiful Box!
My advice: GET IT :D  :D

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 14:17

Quote (Sonilink @ Dec. 13 2005, 13:57)
Quote (Andylkl @ Dec. 13 2005, 15:34)
For the same reason as XXV, Elements is as tempting too. ;)

Elements is a great compilation (no the Best-of Elements) it covers almost all the good stuf from the Virgin-era+ some B-Sides like Vivaldi concerto in C,the path, blue peter,legend, ect...
Plus it's a very beatiful Box!
My advice: GET IT :D  :D

Ooh, think I'd freak out and squeal in delight if I actually saw that box set.  :laugh:  Unfortunately, I only saw the single CD version of Elements.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 14:24

yeah it's a very rare now but not on Amazon.uk!!!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 16:02

Quote (Sonilink @ Dec. 13 2005, 14:24)
yeah it's a very rare now but not on Amazon.uk!!!

I have the box too, since some years ago and I actually did flip when I got it!!! It's looking beautiful and The Path is on there!! His best b-side imho!!

also great compilation for terrorising your parents in the car when you have to travel long distances (as it's the more unusal parent-unfriendly tracks sometimes, like some qe2 stuff)  :D

Love it! :cool:

btw: sentinel on best of elements is a 4 min. version, the album version is 8 mins... so different! Same difference with Bell single and album version!  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 22:34

I got the Elements Boxed Set when it was first released and it looks great but I have since broken the case by dropping it. CD 1 never worked, at first it didn't bother me that much because it was the complete TB and I already had several copies of it but I can't get to the tracks at the end, I have two of them on other cds but I can't play vivaldi concerto in c which irks me a bit after spending so much money, I think it was $120.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2005, 23:09

Quote (Andylkl @ Dec. 13 2005, 02:14)
Just wondering, is Sentinel and The Bell in XXV different from the ones in Tubular Bells II?

As Korgscrew has said, the versions included are the 'edit' versions. The version of The Bell is the one that spends about 3 min (there's other with Viv that is a bit longer, 3:30, the same as all the other non album versions of The Bell).

Quote (Andylkl @ Dec. 13 2005, 09:34)
Erm, that leads me to another question, is Sentinel on Elements the same version in the album?

Not, the version on The Best Of Elements is the same than in XXV, The Essential. The Elements 4 CD box doesn't include Sentinel.

Quote (Sonilink @ Dec. 13 2005, 13:57)

Well, Blue Peter wasn't a B-side but an A-side. It was one of those singles that aren't included in any regular album such as In Dulci Jubilo, Mistake, Portsmouth...
And Vivaldi Concerto In C wasn't previously released in any way. It should have been included on Impressions but finally it remained unreleased till Elements.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 30 2005, 00:41

why not Boxed??
That is one of the amazing compliation you can have. (I think so)
with a booklet.
The track list is long and perfect.

1. Tubular Bells: Part One 25:55
COMPOSED BY MIKE OLDFIELD - REMIXED
2. Tubular Bells: Part Two 25:47
"THE SAILOR HORNPIPE" - TRAD. ARR. OLDFIELD - REMIXED
3. The Rio Grande
4. Portsmouth 2:02
5. In Dulci Jubilo 2:49

1. Hergest Ridge: Part One 21:33
2. Hergest Ridge: Part Two 18:40
3. An extract from Star's End 7:33
4. Argiers 3:59
5. Speak (Tho You Only Say Farewell) 2:54

1. Ommadawn: Part One 20:06
2. Ommadawn: Part Two 17:17
3. The Phaeacian Games 3:58
4. First Excursion 5:56

;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2006, 17:40

sentinal and the bell were both singles and so had to be remixed.  and i think the remixes are great
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 13 2005, 02:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net