Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 15:25

[removed - better quality posted below]
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 15:44

This is YouTube... and as you, Olivier, wrote somewhere else in the board, the quality of YouTube videos generally sucks. :) And this one is also labelled as "better version"... but I found an even better one... with no logos and no superimpositions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYE9jKn_mQ

EDIT: I had no idea that YouTube links appeared as images here. Now I do have. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 21:12

I do love this video...and caught my attention from the very first time,my fav ever...and that's why I'm Tati The Sentinel  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 05:49

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 06 2008, 21:12)
I do love this video...and caught my attention from the very first time,my fav ever...and that's why I'm Tati The Sentinel  ;)

Nice choice Tati.  Wow - I think I remember seeing this clip SO many years ago.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 15:41

It's a great video. One of the things I like is the treatment of the TB logo in the first twenty seconds or so. And the Native American visuals are an interesting element. Mike has included Native American references in several works, so I wonder if a connection to the piece was intended or if it was just a stylistic choice for the video.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 19:35

@ Sweetpea: I don't think the concepts for the video's artwork (and for what should feature in it) are Mike's, but rather the director's. So, if Mike isn't directly involved in the design of the video - i.e. if he didn't say to the director, or to the art director, or whoever, something along the lines of "I'd like the video to feature this and this and this", which I somehow doubt he did! :D - whatever you see in the video is what the director and the other people who made the video thought up as their (visual) reaction to the music. Of course, at the end, Mike may have expressed his approval or disapproval of what they did, so I guess that everything that's featured in the video is very much intented to be featured in the video. :D Whether it's connected to the piece (i.e. to the song) I have no idea... though I would say no, as I don't hear anything in Sentinel that reminds me of Native Americans. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 02:36

Thanks, Ugo. I don't expect artists to have much control over their videos but, since Native Americanism has popped up in several MO pieces ("Incantations Part Two", "Cochise", and "Earth Spirit"), it made me wonder.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2008, 01:39

I was recently reading through some interviews on Tubular.net, and I found an exchange that answered my earlier question about Native American elements in the music.

Eh--African--yes--well, no; actually we went more towards the Red Indian on TUBULAR BELLS 2. I met this guy called Kelly Lurking Course [?]. I wonder if he might be listening. He runs Red Nations. And I also read a lot of books about Indian culture, and the history of them, like Wounded Knee, and all that. He also came along and gave us some bird calls, and we used that little bit on TUBULAR BELLS 2, and some of the lyrics on TUBULAR BELLS 2 are taken from Indian poetry. One of them is a birthing song. I can't remember which tribe it was.

Which track is that?

That's on "Sentinel", the first track. It said "my-hay-mit". Because I wanted some element of real ancient culture in there. You know, the Western culture started out in the north of the world, and I quite often find the culture that's really ancient--like ancient Mexico, ancient Greece--I need to have elements of those in my work. I don't know why; I'm fascinated by that. Maybe I should have been an archaeologist or something.

New Sounds Interview With Mike Oldfield

Not that it was keeping me up at night or anything.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 06:49

Note to everyone - this video has been removed. I'm not sure I would have liked it, though, if it's associated with native American imagery. ("Indian Lake" yes, "Sentinel", no).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 17:30

@ nightspore: if you click on the 'play' icon in the YouTube box above (my first post in this topic) the video is still there. I think you'd enjoy it, as the Native American elements are very vague and sparse (no more than 30 seconds in the whole video). However, I think that all of those cute-but-dated CGI effects [not only on the TB logo, they're a bit everywhere! :)] make this video belong very firmly to its time.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 17:38

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 12 2010, 17:30)
@ nightspore: if you click on the 'play' icon in the YouTube box above (my first post in this topic) the video is still there. I think you'd enjoy it, as the Native American elements are very vague and sparse (no more than 30 seconds in the whole video). However, I think that all of those cute-but-dated CGI effects [not only on the TB logo, they're a bit everywhere! :)] make this video belong very firmly to its time.

Hi Ugo, no, actually it isn't. The image gives the impression the video is still there, but it's actually been removed. Click it and see.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 18:50

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 12 2010, 23:38)
Hi Ugo, no, actually it isn't. The image gives the impression the video is still there, but it's actually been removed. Click it and see.

Sorry to be contradicting you, but the video is there - I mean, it's on this page. You don't have to click on the image - if you do, maybe it will lead you to a YouTube page which says that the video has been removed. I'm not sure about this, because I didn't click on the image. Indeed, I was made curious by your comment about the video being removed, so I clicked the "play" icon in the box above (at the left of the bar in the box's lower side) and the video started playing. This means it's there. If you do the same,  the video will be cached from YouTube and it will actually play. I tried three times in a row, it always worked. If it doesn't work for you, I don't know what to say... maybe there is a problem with your browser?  :zzz:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 19:25

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 12 2010, 18:50)
Sorry to be contradicting you, but the video is there - I mean, it's on this page. You don't have to click on the image - if you do, maybe it will lead you to a YouTube page which says that the video has been removed. I'm not sure about this, because I didn't click on the image. Indeed, I was made curious by your comment about the video being removed, so I clicked the "play" icon in the box above (at the left of the bar in the box's lower side) and the video started playing. This means it's there. If you do the same,  the video will be cached from YouTube and it will actually play. I tried three times in a row, it always worked. If it doesn't work for you, I don't know what to say... maybe there is a problem with your browser?  :zzz:

Hi Ugo, no, that doesn't work either. The Youtube page does indeed say that the video has been removed, and clicking the "play" icon produces exactly the same result. I can view every other video - perhaps a copy of the video is cached on your computer, and it comes up when you follow the link?

Perhaps one of the administrators could look at this?
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 21:51

Video works for me. We must be hitting different YouTube data centers, something like that.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 23:07

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 12 2010, 21:51)
Video works for me. We must be hitting different YouTube data centers, something like that.

Sounds plausible, Olivier, given that I'm in the southern hemisphere and Ugo and you are in the north.
Profile PM 
Heaven Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 16:01

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2008, 15:44)
This is YouTube... and as you, Olivier, wrote somewhere else in the board, the quality of YouTube videos generally sucks. :) And this one is also labelled as "better version"... but I found an even better one... with no logos and no superimpositions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYE9jKn_mQ

EDIT: I had no idea that YouTube links appeared as images here. Now I do have. :D

Ugo Ugo Ugo......thank you God for the creation of Ugo. I am so overjoyed to find this video I've been searching since 1995 (no joking it's true) :(......I was quite young 15yrs when the song was released and it's been one of the most important albums of my life TBII.  Thank you so much for posting!X

--------------
~Only in a blue night
He comes to her only in the Blue night
That's when the whole night belongs to her
Only in the blue night~
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 19:26

Quote (Heaven @ Jan. 04 2011, 22:01)
Ugo Ugo Ugo......thank you God for the creation of Ugo.

You should thank my mommy & daddy first. :) Anyway, you're more than welcome. I'm glad that I was able to make you happy. I wasn't sure that the YouTube link still worked, but judging from your reply I'd say it does, so everything is OK. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Heaven Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 20:00

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 04 2011, 19:26)
Quote (Heaven @ Jan. 04 2011, 22:01)
Ugo Ugo Ugo......thank you God for the creation of Ugo.

You should thank my mommy & daddy first. :) Anyway, you're more than welcome. I'm glad that I was able to make you happy. I wasn't sure that the YouTube link still worked, but judging from your reply I'd say it does, so everything is OK. :)

Absolutely, thank you Mr & Mrs Ugo. Certainly works marvelously  :)! It's added to Favorites and now I can play straight from my television. Finally after many many years..... :)

--------------
~Only in a blue night
He comes to her only in the Blue night
That's when the whole night belongs to her
Only in the blue night~
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 08:27

Ive actually got this video.....I'll go dig it out....assuming its here and not back in Oz.

That lovely Tubular Bell in Red and Yellow was on a CD single too...Id love to get hold of some good quality graphics, that would look stunning on the back of my Yellow camper.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2011, 04:29

Quote (Hastengas @ Jan. 06 2011, 08:27)
Ive actually got this video.....I'll go dig it out....assuming its here and not back in Oz.

That lovely Tubular Bell in Red and Yellow was on a CD single too...Id love to get hold of some good quality graphics, that would look stunning on the back of my Yellow camper.

Make a point of camping out in Glen Maggie, Hastengas. I understand the kangaroos are very friendly there.  :D
Profile PM 
20 replies since Mar. 06 2008, 15:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net