Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sections split on Tubular Bells 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TwyliteMagick Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 06:07

Is it just me, or is anyone else sad at the fact that Tubular Bells has been split up?  
Apparently Mike didn't want to do it in the first place but felt he had to, which is why he just kept the working titles. Doesn't it kind of take away some of the "progishness" and almost conform to the 3 minute song? :/

--------------
"Whatever happened to the teenage dream?" It shrivelled and burned in the flames of reality, to become the fuel that destroys the next generation.

Still, no worries, eh?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 07:48

It having separate track IDs for the different sections doesn't bother me hugely, though I have to say I rather like the approach of having it as two long tracks - it reinforces the fact that it's something to be enjoyed as a whole rather than skipped through.

What I feel does come across though is the way that Mike worked on each section individually. In some places they seem to be very separate from each other, I think more in Part One than Part Two. Pieces like Latin don't seem to enter as smoothly as they did on the original. I'd have to listen again to be able to highlight specifics, but that's the general feeling I get.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 09:05

When the CD first came out, I found two long mp3s of it named Part 1 and Part 2, and I burned my own two-track version from them. I have to say that both this CD and the tracked one flow equally well to my own ears, so I don't particularily care about the official CD being split.
@ Korgscrew: maybe the Basses/Latin transition doesn't sound as smooth as in TB 1973 because Basses is so louder than it was? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
2 replies since Dec. 21 2004, 06:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net