scot
hoover
lion
boat
green green
tv am
preclax (Africa I)
baker (Africa II)?

I think I know that didlybom is because of the rhythm played on different instruments and russian is because of a beep sound which sounds like a time bomb (a stereotype). I think green green is because it sounds natural-like with the pads and the 'torn' lyrics are to do with conserving the environment (???!) and TV am might be to do with the morning program on British ITV which was on around 1990 before GMTV

Does anyone also know why on the rough notes in the sleeve in the top right corner of the fairytale pages it says 'ommadawn is 6 mins want it to be 5.20'? Another thing that I spotted although it isn't very helpful is in small writing nect to a crossing out on the centre pages Mike's wrote 'real sploj'
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2000, 22:16

A few ideas:

Hoover - Mike used a hoover to make bagpipe drone noises on his original tubular bells 'demo'. There's a hoover listed in Amarok's instruments listing, so I assume this part is where he uses that.

TV AM - I think you have the right idea, that this relates to the British breakfast TV show...I'd guess that this part reminds Mike of the type of theme music that those breakfast TV shows have.

I think he's written 'real sploj' because that's just what it is (an arrow points to it as well) - a big splodge (or sploj) or ink. Alternatively, what I'm seeing as an arrow could be a G, perhaps making that 'great sploj'...

I'll have to think a bit harder about the rest of it...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 02 2000, 18:11

Mike imagines music in his head when he sees images or something like that. I think he saw those things (green green; grass? etc.) and he wrote it down like that.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: May 22 2000, 07:48

I was reading A Dark Star issue this week-end, and here is that I found.
Tubular Bells 1972/3
There's "unrealeased segments from the original demo tape, including the "Hoover" piece. This recording still exists in Mike's archives. This Section was finally used on Amarok, albeit in a re-recorded form. The known "Hoover" section (16:11) is a remake."

Well, that's all, but it may help !

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: May 23 2000, 04:41

Cool !
Do you know hot to get this unreleased version or is it impossible ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: May 23 2000, 09:31

No, sorry. I have no idea of how you can get it ! But, there's no doubt that one nice day, Virgin will release all these rareties...
(keep on dreaming !)

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2000, 18:39

Hi, 2distortedguitars and sorry for such a late reply...it's just that only two days ago I finally managed to listen to the whole of Amarok...so now I can explain ALL the section names.

-Roses: referring to the "sweetness" of the theme...although this does not match with the very folky Big Roses bit... confused

-Scot: Referring to the double-guitar melody. It is in a similar style to the doubled melody played on "Guitars sounding like Bagpipes" on TB1. The sound is not the same, but the style of the melody is!!

-Hoover: already exhaustingly answered by Korgscrew [Korgscrew, you're the best!! smile]

-Lion: referring to the slow-paced walk of the lion and to the majestic 'grandeur' of the theme.

-Boat: Referring to the Italian 'Barcarola' (the boat song), a kind of traditional song with slow, melodic, lilting themes. But once again, this does not seem to match with the reggae-style reprise...

-Green green: already answered [by yourself... smile]

-TV-AM: Ditto as above...

-Preclax: short for pre-climax.

-Baker: Mike's mistake for the surname of the Maggie Thatcher impersonator. He quickly corrected that section name into "Hello Everyone."

Also: Mike maybe wanted the 'Ommadawny' section (i.e. Africa II) to last 5'20'', but this plan didn't seem to have turned out very good, as it lasts only 3'23''...I can't find any other explanation to this, because Amarok does not seem to contain any other Ommadawn-sounding section...

P.S. (for Korgscrew): You're right, that's an arrow. It's "real sploj."

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 09-06-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 07:19

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 16 2000, 03:16)
TV AM - I think you have the right idea, that this relates to the British breakfast TV show...I'd guess that this part reminds Mike of the type of theme music that those breakfast TV shows have.

No, I he played a tune for 'Goodmorning great Britain' (TV AM) It changed it's name, in 1988. It had Taurus 3 and a tune from Amarok. The section was named TV AM because the section begins and ends with the tune he played on TV AM!!

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 08:36

"Green Green" has musical precedent: it is something by the New Christy Minstrels

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Green%20Green:1921976231

I've not heard this older one, so I do not know if it inspired the Amarok section.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 10:21

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 15 2000, 22:16)
Hoover - Mike used a hoover to make bagpipe drone noises on his original tubular bells 'demo'. There's a hoover listed in Amarok's instruments listing, so I assume this part is where he uses that.

Was the "origional Hoover" from the "Tubular Bells sessions" an early demo as an alternative or plan for "Guitars sounding like bagpipes"?  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 15:18

Perhaps 'Green' is linked to the Steve Hillage album in some way....

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: May 14 2007, 18:31

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 06 2000, 18:39)
-Scot: Referring to the double-guitar melody. It is in a similar style to the doubled melody played on "Guitars sounding like Bagpipes" on TB1. The sound is not the same, but the style of the melody is!!

That's funny, because the main tune of "Scot" was already put in the demos of TB, in a more quiet mood, with also more bass.
For those who want to check
in Peace Demo A : the piece starts at 05:12
in Peace Demo B : slower version, starts at 03:51

Nicolas
www.mike-oldfield.net

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 16:59

Quote (Clodomir @ May 15 2007, 00:31)
That's funny, because the main tune of "Scot" was already put in the demos of TB, in a more quiet mood, with also more bass.

Sure it's there, I've got the demos. :) But Amarok contains a whole jumble of stuff that Mike composed very early in his career and never released. Some of it dates as far back as 1968 - it is in two of the guitar solo improvisations he did during the Sallyangie sessions. "Mrs. Moon and the thatched shop" features the Mad Bit and some of Roses, while "Branches" features all of Mandolin... ;)  Also, later on, when he did a BBC session with Kevin Ayers' Whole World, he managed to smuggle a little bit of TV-AM, and a substantial bit of Ambient Guitars (TB), in the middle of Kevin's "Why are we sleeping".

--------------
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2011, 11:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur99hYBV2Bs

Ok for the Ambient Guitars bit, but where is the TV-AM bit ?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2011, 18:16

@ Captain Cavern: first of all I'm not sure it's the same version - the version I'm talking about is the one in the live compilation Too Old to Die Young. At the moment I don't remember whether Kevin did that song for the BBC more than once and, as I don't have the CD here with me right now, I can't say what version is on there (if there is more than one live version for the BBC). Anyway, on that version, the TV-AM bit appears immediately before the Ambient Guitars section starts. It's extremely short, less than two seconds, but it's there. You don't really have to consider the bluesy arrangement found on Amarok... what I'm talking about is the main melody, which is there within WAWS.

--------------
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2011, 11:00

I've listened to the Too Old To Die Young version but I can't find the bit.

But I noticed another Amarok bit : (on my video) at 06.27, we can hear the guitar intro of the "Scot" section. (at 11.12 in Amarok)
Profile PM 
15 replies since April 13 2000, 17:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net