[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Secrets/Far Above The Clouds, VH1 Uncut< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2011, 07:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdjfhyyELzg&NR=1

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 22 2011, 07:30

Great Find Cav....
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 22 2011, 07:43

Thanks, but I'm like Columbus on the Santa Maria, with all the nouse of Burke and Wills  ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 24 2011, 06:43

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ July 22 2011, 07:27)

What is the long, narrow stringed instrument that the blond-haired woman plays fairly early on?
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 24 2011, 08:43

That's Carrie Melbourne playing the Chapman Stick.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 01:48

This was put on the tb-net some time ago and it bugs me. Too much of the bullshit you are seeing is mimed. Not to detract from the album itself, I love TB3. MO(too me anyway) has always been just a little slack-eyed silly in the video department. Except for footage of real live concerts.....you know the ones. "Vids" made for UK's equivalent of MTV or VH1 were sometimes unbeleivably and embarrassingly bad. The main offender being from one of my fav. songs, "To France". A lake with some fakey little fires. Maggy standing somewhere lip syncing not so well.....looking dorky doing it too. Mike sitting on a rock playing a solo on an elec.  guitar pointed straight up. The git plugged into nothing. Also, shots of him playing parts on said elec. guitar that were not played on an elec. guitar......or even a guitar, to show off. But hey! The crap I was seeing on USA MTV in 1984 was as bad or worse. And yes, I miss it. I was from the MTV generation. Only 22 when that fucker debuted(I wanna see if I get censored like Syd). Those were the days! No cell phones. No spam(except the food). No wars. Good economy. Good President(got a fine one now tho). Pac man machines in every bar(and Space Invaders). Madonna was the original "Lady Gaga" but with less bullshit and more real drama and kinky sex stories on the news. Van Halen was not Van Hagar yet. If I had been a big rock star in that time, I would have only used footage from real concerts for music videos, refusing even Lol Creme if he offered to produce a silly "vid". Those were the days.......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 01:55

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 26 2011, 01:48)
I would have only used footage from real concerts for music videos, refusing even Lol Creme if he offered to produce a silly "vid". Those were the days.......

I wonder how Lol Creme signs his name these days. The word "lol" put at the end of a message could give completely the wrong impression!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 04:08

I don't think he should worry about it if it did, it seems to have graduated from meaning "laughing out loud" to just being some kind of full stop, such as:

"i jst got bk from the doctors lol"

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 07:38

Quote (CJJC @ July 26 2011, 04:08)
I don't think he should worry about it if it did, it seems to have graduated from meaning "laughing out loud" to just being some kind of full stop, such as:

"i jst got bk from the doctors lol"

Yes, I personally find that really annoying!  :(
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 26 2011, 17:56

Quote (nightspore @ July 26 2011, 07:55)
I wonder how Lol Creme signs his name these days. The word "lol" put at the end of a message could give completely the wrong impression!  :laugh:

Maybe he doesn't sign himself as Lol at all. After all his name is Laurence. :laugh:

Back on topic... well, yes, mimed elements in supposedly "live" performances have always bothered me quite a lot. But then, with Mike O., it was the man himself who got myself used to those, at least regarding him... ever since he had lots and lots and lots of miming in the TBII Edimburgh performance. Everyone could see that Mr. J. G. Sinclair was miming the Caveman part - everyone could see that even there, at the live performance. My guess is that no-one cared even there, because the music was so good. :D

By the way, at the start of the Uncut video, above, the timing of the Tubularish theme is awful - completely messed up by everyone, including Mike. And his guitar is flat for most of the performance. :D But at least the bells are real... so real that the percussionist gets the tune wrong. :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 27 2011, 00:30

Quote (Ugo @ July 26 2011, 17:56)
Quote (nightspore @ July 26 2011, 07:55)

Maybe he doesn't sign himself as Lol at all. After all his name is Laurence. :laugh:

Back on topic... well, yes, mimed elements in supposedly "live" performances have always bothered me quite a lot. But then, with Mike O., it was the man himself who got myself used to those, at least regarding him... ever since he had lots and lots and lots of miming in the TBII Edimburgh performance. Everyone could see that Mr. J. G. Sinclair was miming the Caveman part - everyone could see that even there, at the live performance. My guess is that no-one cared even there, because the music was so good. :D

By the way, at the start of the Uncut video, above, the timing of the Tubularish theme is awful - completely messed up by everyone, including Mike. And his guitar is flat for most of the performance. :D But at least the bells are real... so real that the percussionist gets the tune wrong. :laugh:

Years ago I read the "biography" of 10CC, and at that stage the true name of Lol wasn't even known, as he hated it so much...

Returning to the topic: I don't mind if the music is mimed, as long as the images are relevant and complement it.
Profile PM 
10 replies since July 22 2011, 07:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net