Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Searching for a track, can't remember title< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
spacediver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 07 2008, 04:01

Hi all - glad to have discovered this place. I was exposed to oldlfied as a young kid as my parents had some tapes they played in the car (moonlight shadow was one of the family favourites).

A couple years ago I explored his music some more and discovered some of his true genius.

One track that I really liked (but which I've lost) had what sounded like a young boy's choir singing about a ship or something. Really beautiful yet kinda eerie. I think it *might* have been part of the rare collection, since I had drunk hornpipe with it, but not sure.

Does this ring any bells?
Profile PM 
spacediver Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 04:08

ah just found it! - it's called rio grande

seems like david bedford composed it, but sounds like oldfield's playing guitar in it
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 07:07

Hi you're right.It's from David Bedford's The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner from 1975.It is Mike on guitar as well.I think the collection you refer to would be Collaborations which was issued as part of Mike's Boxed 4LP set in 1976.The drunk hornpipe was an alternate version (actually the original but dicarded as just too damn wierd)of the hornpipe at the end of Tubular Bells.The Boxed set comprised of the first 3 Oldfield albums in remixed form (with the drunk hornpipe) and a 3rd disc featuring collaborations withy other artists.Sounds like you have the cd version which has this 3rd LP spread across 3 discs as bonus tracks.The Rio Grande is on disk one after TB.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
spacediver Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 19:59

that's some good info - thanks caveman :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 06:38

No worries.BTW if you're ever near Oxford the pub were Mike,Tom Newman and Vivian Stanshall got drunk is called the Jolly Boatman.It's on the Oxford-Banbury road alongside the Oxford canal that runs along the bottom of ther Manor grounds.And they keep a fine pint of Guiness!

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 07:14

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is riding high in the Amazon classic charts at the moment - as it's shown as the perfect partner to MotS. It is a superb album - some wonderful Oldfield and a damned fine composition to boot!

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 07:06

That's cool.I'm not sure about it being a 'perfect partner' to MOTS though.MOTS is very melodic all the way through,where as The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner really isn't.Not in a conventional sense anyway.Chalk and cheese i's say.I can listen to MOTS anytime but i have to really be in the mood for TROTAM (usuually herbally enhanced)to really get into it.It is very good though.
 It's about time Mr Bedford got some recognition though as he is a huge talent and this is very good news.

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 07:09

True.... I guess the Perfect Partner selection is rather random! But as you say, it's brilliant for David Bedford!

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 07:12

Mind you Mariner is much easier listening than Stars End.Again brilliant but you REALLY have to sit down and listen to it to get anything from it,but the guitar solo at the end of part one is stunning and there's the small bit at the end of part two where Mike plays a scale and then hits that last note!

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 07:21

Funny you should say that!! I was listening to it on the train home last night, for the first time in many years. In the meantime I've been listening to quite a lot of various Philip Glass compositions, so Stars End did sort of come together a bit better. Part 1 is fine, but Part 2 is a struggle. Rime is just superb though - I can really get lost in it. Odyssey is a lot easier on the ears. Instuctions for Angels....what can I say - the guitar and organ...... kerpowww - mind is blown!!

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 08:11

This is one i didn't know existed  untill recently so i don't have it.I thought the Oddysey was the last.Must buy!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 09:26

Variation 6 - Instructions for Angels. David Bedford on Cathedral organ and Mike on guitar. One of the best things in my entire life! Play in the dark for maximum effect!!  :cool:

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 10:09

That's on my list of must buys.Being orignally from Salisbury i love bg cathedral organs.Something very stirring despite my being a long way from christian!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
12 replies since April 07 2008, 04:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net