[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Saxophone ruins "Misty"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pielawa Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2002, 01:51

Hello everyone,
as "Tres Lunas" is spinning in my CD player for three days now, I'd like to say that I would like to give the album a 6/10. Of course far better than "Voyagers", of course not an "Amarok", a nice soundtrack to relax: that's what Mike's intention may has been.
But see how Mike has ruined one of his best tracks, namely "Misty" right at the beginning. The saxophone might fit into the other tracks easily, but here this squeeking sound ruins the whole spacey feeling of this wonderful piece of melody. rolleyes
Another instrument would have been great here, a clarinette or a flute. Maybe Mike shouldn't have played too long with his newly discovered toy.
Getting rid of the saxophone would turn "Misty" into a more enjoyable masterpiece. cool
What do you think? ...
Profile PM WEB 
mikel Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 09:38

I agree totally with you, pielawa. More than that: I think the saxophone sound in Tres Lunas is awful, sounds too MIDI to me. Oh god! how mike would thinks that "instrument" sound like a real saxophone... ¿has mike hear a real saxophone ever?

I ver dissapointed with the Saxophone sound on misty and on the other tracks... it makes all the song sounds like a cheap casiotone demo!

That's IMHO ... of course. smile

Regards
Miguel.
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 14:50

i don't think it's bad...i'm starting to like it

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 15:26

gah - Germany, Spain, Finland - but not UK for another month!

*cries*

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 06 2002, 16:56

i heard the sax-guitar on sirius and i absolutley love what it adds to the song...how he plays it and everything........i love it

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2002, 19:33

I think my favourite part is on Turtle Island, where the sound takes on a slightly less sax-like quality (more when it first comes in). When it begins sounding closer to a sax, it sounds to me more like a cheap imitation, but it's quite interesting when it goes somewhere slightly different.

It's quite an 'in your face' sound, which I think provides a nice contrast on some of those tracks. I'd like to have heard him try a real sax on there, though.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 20:12

what you say mitr? finland gets the album before uk... well i have no idea how they think these things.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 07 2002, 22:10

The sax sound seems kinda of 'deja vu' to me...I don´t like it...
BTW,I loved the album.Better than TSODE.

Relax and enjoy...a nice soundtrack for a road trip.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: June 08 2002, 02:33

"what you say mitr? finland gets the album before uk... well i have no idea how they think these things. "

Ask around... I just got my copy today (June 7), and I live in Canada... that's 4 days before the scheduled release date. smile It was sitting in the stack of new stuff behind the counter, I only got it because the clerk remembered seeing it when it came in.

--Impeesa--
tubularbills Offline

Posted: July 06 2002, 15:16

I really like the sax-sound. if it were on any other album i don't think it would fit, but this one does. i think it adds a lot of emotion and w/ the bass in the background it helps keep the album away from a "new age" stereotype. very effective. i like it a lot

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: July 07 2002, 05:52

Initially (on hearing the samples) I thought i'd hate the sax. However, I love it now that i've listened to Tres Lunas about 4 times all the way through. Misty is really cool and the sax sound adds a wonderful jazzy second half to it. It really does blend in well. Maybe give it a few more listens and it'll growon you (or maybe not!!;)

The 'muted' sax too sounds great on Turtle Island - I especially like the guitar at the end of TI (a very early MO feel to it).   :)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Zywy Offline

Posted: July 07 2002, 14:48

The sound of sax is what I like the most in this track. It was very good idea to put it here.
But still, as Pielawa said, it's a middle-class album. Definately not the best one of Mike's

--------------
I'm half crazy man...
Profile PM 
QE2
Unregistered

Posted: July 09 2002, 13:12

The Sax breaks the mood, it just does not fit.  I listened to it on my stereo first time. The background music is wonderful, when the sax started playing the effect was gone. I felt that someone have tempered with Mike's music, by playing 'MIDI sax' ......................

Lets hope there is another realease of this album without the sax.........
TheMan Offline

Posted: July 10 2002, 10:43

The 'saxophone' is CLEARLY the worst sounding 'instrument' appearing so far, on any MO recording. Even though I hate saxophones, I could have accepted a real one played by some talant musician. But this cheap sounding MIDI sax is a real disaster. It is almost acceptable on ReturnToTheOrigin, but listen to Misty or Sirius ... Ohh, man ...

The sax is The Worst Ever, closely followed by the terrible voice 'Da da Dadada da da da daaada' about 18 minuties into Taurus  II, and then followed by that children-wind-instrument  ending the  otherwise so nice track 'QE2'.

Maybe the Sax is fun to play, but please PLEASE don't use it again, (think about your fans who waits many years between your releases, please do not insult us again with this terrible joke).
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 10 2002, 15:33

Quote (TheMan @ July 11 2002, 00:43)

The sax is The Worst Ever, closely followed by the terrible voice 'Da da Dadada da da da daaada' about 18 minuties into Taurus  II, and then followed by that children-wind-instrument  ending the  otherwise so nice track 'QE2'.

I've always liked the ending of QE2....

And I've always liked Taurus II....

AND I STILL DO

Besides: I do not dislike the sax-sound even though it's not a real one. My main objection to Misty is that it to much resembles 'Lilly was here' by Dave Stewart and Candy Dulfer. And Sirius has the same atmosphere as 'Das Boot' by Klaus Doldinger, and in To Be Free I hear the echo of the chior from 'Life In A Northern Town'.

Oh well.
I think 'Interpretations' would have been a better name instead.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 07:43

Hey Jael,

I'm not suggesting that Taurus II is bad, on the contrary, it is one of the very best MO compositions ever. I'm just saying that that vocal part just before the wonderful heavy final simply sounds terrible. If you cut it out, TII would be the perfect MO piece.

In my opinion, the sax on TL sound cheap, like some default sax sound on a 100 dollar Casio synth.

TheMan

ps. By the why, isn't Taurus I one of the most underestimated compositions ever? Listen to the agressive guitars right after the intro, the melancholy adagio that follows and then this powerful complex final ...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 11 2002, 08:05

In case anyone's wondering, "that children-wind-instrument" at the end of QE2 is a set of northumbrian bagpipes...at least it's a real instrument ;)

I like it there, anyway.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 15:37

As for Taurus I do agree. If it was up to me he'd better make a Taurus 4, 5 and 6 instead of the TB remake...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
pielawa
Unregistered

Posted: July 22 2002, 02:02

Quote (TheMan @ July 10 2002, 10:43)
The sax is The Worst Ever, closely followed by the terrible voice 'Da da Dadada da da da daaada' about 18 minuties into Taurus  II

This 'Da da Dadada da da da daaada' is a sampled voice from the Fairlight CMI computer. As FMO was done in 1982, it is simply a effect amongst others. Many musicians were experimenting with the Fairlight at that time, and looking back, FMO contained a lot of fine computer work.
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 26 2002, 07:11

Actually, I think it's Maggie Reilly singing.
Or am I thinking of a different bit?
Profile PM 
72 replies since June 05 2002, 01:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net