Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Saqsaywaman And The Millennium, what's that?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Robiq Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 03:41

Saqsaywaman And The Millennium  - I foud an information about this album? What's that? There are most tracks from "The Millennium Bell". Here is the tracklist:

1 Nativity  
2 Pacha Mama  
3 Excalibur  
4 Santa Maria  
5 Sunlight Shinning Through Cloud  
6 The Dodge`s Palace  
7 Lake Constance  
8 Mastermind  
9 Broad Sunlit Uplands
10 Emmancipation
11 The Millennium Bell  
12 Amber Light  

Is this a bootleg?

--------------
Robiq
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 06:29

Like the TB2 demos that are out there its a kind of rough sketch, early mix, working title for what would become the Millennium Bell. Its worth hearing if you like the album or even if you don't its still quite interesting as some of it is better than what was finally released. The mix isn't of the best quality but its still enjoyable. If I remember rightly the Millennium Bell track itself is the most different, in fact this version seems to have been binned and later resurrected as the bat cave sequence music in TresLunas (the game). Some of the other tracks are just the same as the final album version though with certain sections missing, vocal parts not yet recorded etc. Emancipation (which later changed its name to Liberation for the album) is my favourite as it dispensed with the rather naff Anne Frank narration and extended out the great end bit that sounds like an out-take from Amarok.

And like the TB2 demos I think its still a mystery as to how these recordings leaked out of Mike's studio. I think these recordings show that there is in existence great deal of interesting material that Mike COULD release in a rarities box set. Since these 'rough' sketches often prove better than the final album versions I dare say there are some fabulous renditions of Mike's music sitting stored in a cupboard somewhere never to see the light of day.
Profile PM 
siul Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 13:00

Saqsaywaman also contains the unreleased track "Excalibur". I donĀ“t know the primary source who has made possible to bring "Saqsaywaman" to the light of the day, but anyway, thank you.

these 'rough' sketches often prove better than the final album versions

Interesting idea, I agree.
there are some fabulous renditions of Mike's music sitting stored in a cupboard somewhere never to see the light of day

I hope someday fans will access to that material. But, when?, how?.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 13:46

I think Mike has a bit of a phobia about releasing this sort of stuff, I guess a) because he probably thinks his playing is sub par on a lot of these 'demo' recordings but more likely b) that he regularly plunders his libraries of demo material when looking for stuff that can be worked up into new tracks. After all we've seen evidence of this already throughout his career. He just doesn't want us to hear music he may well use in the future, not that that should stop he releasing some nice acoustic versions of, say, the tracks from Voyager (which are rumored to exist)

Not that any of this has stopped other artists releasing roughly recorded tracks that they think may interest their fans. I still think Mike and us fans are long overdue a PROPER retrospective box set that really looks into his workings as a brilliant composer and musician and CELEBRATES his career.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 04:34

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 07 2006, 06:29)
Emancipation (which later changed its name to Liberation for the album) is my favourite as it dispensed with the rather naff Anne Frank narration and extended out the great end bit that sounds like an out-take from Amarok.

Emancipation (Liberation) is my favourite track from TMB as well. I'am curious, if this African drums are actually sampled from the Amarok...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 24 2012, 06:18

The album is worth hearing just for the Excalibur track alone... Underrated classic and a beautiful track indeed....
Profile PM 
5 replies since Mar. 07 2006, 03:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net