Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Samples and covers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Vinz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2000, 09:08

We all noticed that Mike's music is used by several artists as sample. For example, a french female rapper sampled a piece of 'The Lake'. Is it a good thing ? Is it a bad thing ? I don't know ! Mike is even not mentionned on her record ! It doesn't help him to be more famous (Not for us smile but for those who don't know him, and there's a lot !)
One guy understand all : Santana ! This guy made duets with some rappers such as Wycleef Jean from the Fugees and his career re-took off ! He won all sorts of awards and he is now world famous (even more than before, I mean) and he met a new audience : The rappers !
It's the same thing with covers. Recently, many techno group has covered some Mike's pieces (I'm thinking about Preciozo or The Angel Company). Did it serve Mike ? I don't think so. It's the contrary, I think ! Mike is no more no less famous because of these stuffs.
Well, the question is now, do we want Mike to be world famous such as Michael Jackson and be recognized for his extraordinary work all over the world or do we want to keep him just for us as a precious treasure he is ?

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2000, 20:32

Another thing...I heard a song while I was in Germany recently - I don't remember the name of it, but the tune to the main verse was definitely the same as Family Man. So there must be enough of an interest in Mike for people to be stealing his melodies to create new songs wink I admit, it could be a coincidence, but it suprised me a bit when I heard it...
I think that probably at least a few of the people making electronic music now have been influenced by Mike in some way (they'll have a copy of TB somewhere, at least wink ). So, now and then, Mike's music surfaces in new forms...In many ways it would be great if Mike could get more recognition than he does. In other ways, it could get boring when you're hearing whatever his latest record is every time you walk into a shop, restaurant, lift, toilet...
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: June 27 2000, 11:36

Well, I guess you're right on many points...
I wonder if the fact that Mike is not very famous, makes me love even more his music. I think YES smile ! I'm proud to listen such a good unknown artist... And when my friends ask me what kind of music I listen to, and that I answer 'Mike Oldfield', they all say 'Michael who ?', what a good feeling !

And you're right on one point too : I don't want to hear 'Shadow On The Wall', 'Discovery', 'The Sun Shining Through Clouds' or the intro of 'In The Pool" when I go to toilets !!! wink

[This message has been edited by Vinz (edited 06-27-2000).]

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 27 2000, 15:00

Korgscrew, that was "Tell Me Why" by Prezioso...it's been a huge hit in Germany.
Also, here in Italy, a mysterious dance group called Bamble Bee made an UGLY eek cover of Crime Of Passion....
What do I think of all this? Frankly, nothing at all. smile It certainly does not help Mike being more famous than he is, but it just as certainly does not make him less famous than he is!! biggrin So...as they say...let's give everyone his due [hits!]!

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 15:37

Well, covers of Mike make me angry.

The point is: people have listened to a cover of Mike (like that ugly crimeofpassion thing from Bamble Bee, or Tell me why), and it has become a major hit. Then I listen to the original version of Mike (with people around me) and they all either start screaming: 1: Hey, that's a cover of the DJ or 2: Hey, that's that song from the hit, only different.

Now that makes me angry! I will scream then: now your stupid songs are all stolen from this wonderful artist: Mike Oldfield! wink

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
4 replies since May 05 2000, 09:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net