Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sales?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 05 2006, 08:04

I checked amazon.co.uk and the sales rank of L+S, a few months after release, is low at 1,138. For perspective, the sales rank of TB1 at the same site is 689. Are these sales numbers for L+S really as low as they look to me? Is this new release considered to be a commercial success for Mike Oldfield?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2006, 08:25

I'm not sure what the numbers mean, but here's the the US version of amazon says about sales for L&S:

Amazon.com Sales Rank:
Today: #9,292 in Music
Yesterday: #41,839 in Music

Such a difference in only one day?????  How accurate could this  be?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2006, 08:34

Bill, when the numbers are "Way down there" like this for Amazon, such a leap can easily be explained if on the first day, one sells, but on the second day, two or three sell. That can make such a difference in the sales rank: it will make this album leap thousands of entries ahead of the other albums that only sold one or none on the second day.

If you want, go to Amazon.com and order 5 copies of L+S. Then look the next day to see it leap to a 700 sales rank :)

Up on the high end, (let's say #5 sales rank, like a Coldplay or Spears), it takes huge numbers of sales to alter the sales rank.

I have items of my own on Amazon, and since they are low-selling, I've seen huge differences from day to say in sales rank, often on the order of rank changes in the tens of thousands.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2006, 19:39

Ah...that does make sense.  What if we all ordered 5 copies on the same day?  Could we make it go to Number 1?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2006, 19:46

Not if they sell 10,000 Coldplay CD's per day.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 12:38

I don't know, what there numbers token, but I know, that L+S they are good, they  make right, earlier but later.
Well, my mama (67 years)  she is delighted with L+S ! And my
children (17, 19) too !
There is a screw loose failing to inform about Mike Oldfield.
In my country - Czech - for example in Tesco L+ S isn't sell.
Transfer informations is more quick, isn't problem copy.
In addit ion today propaganda is  manipulation -power in our superficial world - time is pressing search for   high-quality music. I think, that MO know about and he must adapt, he dislikes it.

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 19:26

Mike does not care at all with the sales for L+S  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 10:05

Why ?

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 10:11

Quote (Korkesova @ Mar. 06 2006, 12:05)
Why ?

Because L+S is an album that means a lot to him. ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 15:55

I don't understand.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 16:05

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 06 2006, 10:11)
Because L+S is an album that means a lot to him. ;)

Do you think, that Mike tested his popularity ?
If he  frustrated criticism his old fan, it is the  proof bed  advertisement.   Few  potential fans  doesn't knows about L+S

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 18:55

Mmmm,L+S is full of personal feelings that are none of our business,that's what I can say to you.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 21:02

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 07 2006, 18:55)
Mmmm,L+S is full of personal feelings that are none of our business,that's what I can say to you.

Makes it sounds as if doing more than casual listening to "Light and Shade" is just as bad as peering in his and Fanny's bedroom windows at night.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 06:37

Oh, int indeed !

--------------
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 10:23

sales for mike oldfield cds are never great because mike will not appear in public to promote the albums and his record company do not advert his albums on radio or tv.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 20:06

My personal view is that sometimes Mike does what he does for artistic personal reasons. Like climbing a mountain "because it is there". So he works on it and puts it out without worring how many copies it sells. But he also doesn't push it through publicity. If it's good enough, the right people will find it.

Think Amarok, the MVR games.

And then, another time, he will put on the "bank manager" head, and we get Platinum collection and the rounds of radio stations.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 18:25

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 15 2006, 01:06)
My personal view is that sometimes Mike does what he does for artistic personal reasons. Like climbing a mountain "because it is there". So he works on it and puts it out without worring how many copies it sells. But he also doesn't push it through publicity. If it's good enough, the right people will find it.

Think Amarok, the MVR games.

And then, another time, he will put on the "bank manager" head, and we get Platinum collection and the rounds of radio stations.

I agree, and would add that only Mike knows what he plans for the future, so he may have had his own reasons for not going overboard on publicity for Light and Shade. Let us look to the future too.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 15:05

You know for someone with a 5 million pound house a handfull of children and a number of ex-wifes I dont think he give a damn.

He likes his own music and that I think is that for him.

If he doent sell any albums he doesn't really care - his manager might, and from my experience they often wish he would do the PR thing to make their job easier.  Instead they imply he will do something and then when he is asked he says No!.

I think the effect Mr Branson had on him was long lasting - in that RB was purely single mindedly a buisiness man, whereas Mike is an artist in the true sence, and didnt really make music to sell in large numbers - he just makes things that he finds are nice, except as I have said before when he is forced to make albums for a contract - then he makes Holy and Earth Moving and hides lots of stuff in the music that is rebelous - na bit like Prince painting SLAVE on his forhead.   On the Make,  Make Make - was probably a reference to Virgin's style -and in particular RB himself.  Ref MO's reaction to RB's reaction to incantations.

I think he has changed a bit recently with the influence of a new lady - but  I don't realy care as long as he makes a new album that I like.

Also part of his appeal is that he is rebeleous and inovative - you have to be able to afford it to do that.  Am I rambling....

:D  Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 15:40

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 30 2006, 15:05)
Ref MO's reaction to RB's reaction to incantations.

What was RB's reaction?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 16:00

Mike played it to him and he just stared at Mike with a blank look on his face?   He hired the sex pistols shortly after that......  Apparently Mike was a bit put out by that reaction.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
30 replies since Jan. 05 2006, 08:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net