Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing video on the Daily Telegraph website< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 10 2014, 14:07

The video for Sailing is now available to watch on the website of the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph, though unfortunately not in all countries.

It'll also be available to buy on iTunes from next Tuesday, February 19th.

More videos of performances from the album by Mike and Luke, as well as a documentary about the album, will be released through official channels in the lead up to the album's release.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 10 2014, 20:32

Thanks, Korg.

When I first saw the video over the weekend, I laughed out loud, truly hoping it was the wrong one.  I can’t say that the song behind the video captivates me, i.e., if it came up via iPod shuffle, I’d skip it, but  I hoped the video would rescue it…that it would be creative, fun, and engaging.  Well, the fun is there as in funny, but I don’t see much creativity and I'm not engaged.  There isn’t any story to it—not that there necessary needs to be—but IMHO it would have helped. As it stands, my youngest daughter could have done a better job at shooting before she learned anything about photography.  It looked very homemade and low/no budget.  There were other components that annoyed me:

Attire:  Mike is attired perfectly for the beach environment.  Luke is <delete, delete, delete, delete, delete>..... over-dressed.  Nobody goes to the beach or casually sailing dressed like that.  OK—I did once. Oops.  He’s such a cutie—he didn’t need all that stuff … those props. Bare feet, rolled up jeans, and a white, sleeveless shirt against his black hair would have looked awesome. Show off those tats!

Boat:  Sailing to me connotes a sailboat, clipper, yacht, etc.—not a motor boat tooling along fast enough to pull a water skier. Maybe Mike as Captain could have been pulling Luke on water skis or a tube—that would have been fun and in the spirit of the thing.  BTW....was Luke throwing up over the side toward the end and Mike smirking?  

Mike and Luke: They sure make the oddest couple in some of those scenes.  There again, it has the feel of a homemade video with Luke all dressed up, popping ‘round for a jam and “oh…..I know....let’s make a video!”

So….what could they have done instead?  I figure that they got exactly what they were looking for—something fun and light. It was only missing the Bahama Mamas or Pina Coladas. But....here are some alternatives from the parallel universe vault:

They could have borrowed the Black Pearl , Dawn Treader, HMS Beagle ("explooorrinnng.....explooorrrinnnggg"), or the Jolly Roger!  Considering the theme of the song, probably better to not have women around,  but they could have included a bunch of guys on an adventure….it would have been nice to have told a story. They could have gone sailing through the Milky Way; there could have been mer people waving to them.  Do they have sunsets in the Bahamas? The light might have been kinder to Mike.  And sunsets are pretty. My final beef for the moment is that Mike is playing an acoustic guitar while an electric riff is screaming. Couldn’t the guitar have been synced a bit better?  And…where is Mike’s backup band?  Now THAT would have been a merry crew to bring together for a sailing outing through the stars with Luke and Mike!

Sorry that this review isn’t “Rah rah go Mike,”  but with the technology of the 21st century and all of those creative minds involved in the project, I expected to be able to say, “WOW!!” not “HAHAHAHAHA” or "WTF????"   <goes in search of a pina colada>

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 04:43

Maybe it's just me, I don't really moan much, but I am happy for Mike that for one, he has a new album coming out, and for 2, he has made a new video for a song, which hasn't happened in a long time for him, seeing as we know songs are not really his thing he seems really happy to be doing it despite going through amother marriage break down. I think a lot of Mike's fans are to hard on him, he doesn't have to be doing any of this, but he is doing, so let's enjoy it while he's doing it, yes the song may not be in Moonlight Shadow league, but at least it's different, I remember when Man In The Rain came out and people moaned it was a MS rip of with the same drums etc. I am likeing Sailing more and more, it is getting lots of airplay and is very catchy.
As for the video, It's MIKE OLDFIELD. Plus, if they decide to make the long in the making Syd Barrett film, they can look no further than Luke Spiller.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 07:43

I like it. I really like the song, it's disarmingly simple but that's exactly what gives it its immediacy, power and catchiness.
As I've grown older, my appreciation for music has changed. Whilst I still love an interesting rhythmic or harmonic progression as much as the next man, there are times when simplicity and directness really work and I think that's the case here. As I look outside my window and watch it hailing down ice the size of marbles for the third time today, this video is a welcome ray of sunshine and I can't help but smile and love life a bit more as a result :)
Profile PM 
iwaniuch Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 09:26

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 11 2014, 04:43)
amother marriage break down

is that true...?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 11:58

Yes
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 14:12

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 11 2014, 04:43)
I think a lot of Mike's fans are to hard on him, he doesn't have to be doing any of this, but he is doing, so let's enjoy it while he's doing it, yes the song may not be in Moonlight Shadow league, but at least it's different, I remember when Man In The Rain came out and people moaned it was a MS rip of with the same drums etc.  
As for the video, It's MIKE OLDFIELD.

Mike can do anything he wants. We all have personal preferences (sometimes depending on the day of the week! ) and it's not mine right now. I don't entirely hate it or anything. I'm just into different stuff. I loved "Man in the Rain" --even how it fit with TBIII as an interlude--and likewise I may find the rest of The Rocks to my taste. It really doesn't matter either way--he has composed what he wants and I don't drink koolaid. :) It's all good.

Of course he is free to make any kind of video he wants to accompany the "free to make any kind of music he wants" clause. With this video, I would have asked that they'd at least have paid a little more attention to detail....the attire, the boat, the guitar, and the lighting. Heh... maybe it is a sailing vessel with one heck of a motor on it, for all I know.

I think it great that it genuinely brings joy to some people's lives. ATM I look elsewhere for that effect.

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 19:46

First things first _ the music. I was terribly disappointed the first time I heard the track. Sub EM quality, show off singer, cheesy slide guitar, super musicians under used etc etc.
But, but.... it's a grower, just like voyager tracks. Give it enough radio plays and it sinks into your head as a catchy pop song.
Secondly, what is the target audience? The long time Amarok Anorak? Or new, middle of the road adults who have heard of T B but not a lot else? Why do you think the youtube vid was hidden and The Telegraph given a days exclusive?
It has been a very long time since any of Mike's record labels put this much weight and targetting behind any of his releases. And, apart from a select few, we have yet to hear the full album.
So ~ not a great start, but a very hopeful one. Plus he's already planning the next album!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2014, 20:32

Olrac, don't confuse it growing on ya with an earworm! Those are dangerous things! The song is constantly floating through my mind, mmm my brain is infested!!! All the Opeth and Pain of Salvation isn't helping! Just now I spent 30 min. on a heated aqua bed.... sailing....sailing....I think I'm going mad. But I shall prevail. I am strong. Resistance is not futile!  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2014, 03:10

....have just seen the video :)

Good times!

It really makes me happy :)

It's a wonderful song, so positive and high spirited - we all need this very now and then!!

How lovely to see that beautiful beach too, the water is amazing....(we have lots of water in England at the moment, but it's not that colour  :/ )

Mike : you look good !!

I love the song, can't wait for it to be released!

Well done to everyone involved.

[...and I really,really like Luke's voice, necklace thing and jacket (I want one!;))]

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2014, 12:21

Inkanta, your review me "encanta" :-)

I totally agree with you about the video. They could had done better.
You can see in FB that Caroline went with Luke to Bahamas and they probably shoot the video in one day.
There's even one photo with Luke reading the lyrics while they record the video :-)

I like Sailing, but I don't see as "genuine" Mike song. It's good, it's catchy, but it doesn't have a Mike trademark on it.
Anyone could have made this song.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2014, 14:24

To me ... the video was deliberately makeshift to fit it's fun sensibility :)  .... sort of a knowing 'laugh at oneself attitude'.

Caroline's just reported Sailing has moved up from the B list playlist to the A list on R2 ! ... More great news ! :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2014, 15:08

marvellous!
    :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sh0ck-wave Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2014, 05:37

For those who didn't like how this song sounded in the video, you can convert it into an MP3 and listen to it on a better stereo. (see below)
Trust me, your computer does not do this song justice as there is an awesome bass-line as well as the usual 'Oldfield' complexities going on in there.

My 2 cents, play this song in your car .. and play it loud.
Totally different experience to playing it sitting at a computer desk.

To get this as an MP3 (until the album comes out that is) :

1. Goto www.clipconverter.cc

2. Enter in this address : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgpS6dQVHbg

3. Select 'MP3'

4. Select 'Download'

5. Listen and enjoy.

The Youtube clip is pretty high quality (480p) and has good audio. The bass is a little high, but hey that's the way I like it.

Enjoy !!
.. and I can't wait for the album :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2014, 12:51

Great point about the bass--and one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the entire album--I can't wait to hear more of Leland Sklar!

--------------
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2014, 18:54

At first I thought, this is nothing like how I saw this video in my head.  This is quite boring.  I saw it being fast paced, quick cutaways, and alot more people.  And as much as I like Luke's style, it is completely out-of-place in this video.  

Instead, we have a simple, yet adorable video of Mike playing guitar and Luke walking around singing.  Today as I sifted through some Mika video's on VEVO, I realized, oh wait, even some of his video's are completely one dimensional like Sailing.  I started looking at more and more video's from the last year.  At that point Sailing didn't seem so bad.  It actually is appropriate for the way in which video's are being done now.  Even around Nashville, alot of video's are being shot in simplistic and, IMO, boring ways.  Some even being shot on iPad's.  

If they really wanted a good video, they should have hired me to direct it.  I could have made it grand!  And, it wouldn't have cost Mike that much more than what he spent on this video.  

The video serves it's purpose.  It has moments towards the end that give it the visual energy it needs!  However, as I noted on FB, if you want to promote a song and a video on a supposed INTERNATIONAL release, you do NOT limit the access to a single country.  That is extremely idiotic and counter productive from a PR standpoint.
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2014, 14:35

Video reminds me of Shine back in 1985, but with no 3D effects and animations...(and Jon Anderson wears less jewelry)...In 1985 it was not so easy or inexpensive to make such video, but nowadays it would be really easy and inexpensive to put some effort in making something more adequate :) The video for York's Guilty remix was made recently on same (or very close) location and imho it was really great...I really expected to see something like that instead of great-singing Joan Jett in full stage armour and a bit tired Mike...On the other hand, there's really no offical rule that says odd looking couples on beautiful beaches are intolerable ... I have to admit I was relieved not to see Johnny Depp dressed in Jack Sparrow, though :D

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2014, 17:02

I was also of the opinion that Luke looks more like Joan Jett than Freddie Mercury, but kept it to myself. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that! hahaha
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2014, 17:30

I hope this isnt style of full album or i have to pass first time buying it. it just sounded too mainstream pop...not my style music.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2014, 19:01

Sorry for the large size - but this is the best image I could find to prove my point.....

versus

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
23 replies since Feb. 10 2014, 14:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net