Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing to Premiere on BBC Radio 2, 14 Jan 14 after 11 AM< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 08:30

meh ... Leaves me cold TBH.
As it's non representative of the rest of the album, I hope the rest is more involving than this ...
Profile PM 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 09:07

The song is pleasant. But if it wasn’t a Mike Oldfield track I wouldn’t credit its existence.

I can understand the criticism directed towards those who are criticising, but, Mike is not a commercial artist.
He simply cannot compete in the modern commercial market.

If his fan base is not large enough to support his grass roots style (sales of ‘spheres’ indicates that it is) then maybe it is time to rest on his laurels.
As mediocrity increases, the aura fades. But no matter how rich one is in personnel resources, someone with a strong work ethic will resist early retirement.

After so many years of success Mike is more than entitled to a few vanity projects.
But if he wants commercial success he is not going to get it with a handful of easy listening pop songs.

The SS Oldfield has run aground. ‘Man on the Rocks’ might very well be an appropriate title.
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 09:10

Quote (sagan2 @ Jan. 15 2014, 07:56)
Quote (Nexus6 @ Jan. 14 2014, 22:14)
Quote (sagan2 @ Jan. 15 2014, 04:28)
I managed to hear only telephone mic recording on youtube and it sounds like Crime of Passion remnants meeting Tom Petty :) If it was sung by Julie Driscoll and Adrian Edmondson it might just become theme title of some TV show LOL
Sounds suprisingly cheerful and catchy to me, but I'm really curious about the production...Anybody managed to make decent recording out of BBC stream?

http://www.goear.com/listen....ldfield

Thnx, but after I barely managed to register in Spanish language nothing can be heard
:/

Sorryyyy, I had flashblock enabled in Firefox and it wouldn't play LOL ...
Now I managed to hear it in decent format and this song sounds great imo, really powerfull and highly contagious, Luke is really excellent choice of singer...Maybe solo part really could have been more creative, but hey... ;) This is no flop if I'm concerned....
Thnx for the recording...I just made wav copy of it in Protools (without radio DJ) so I can put it in my music player and hit the road instead of sea :)

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 10:08

Someone has placed it on Youtube:

Sailing song link

Luke Spiller himself has promoted this link, which makes it seem 100% ok to me.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 10:21

That's only a sample !
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 11:51

IMHO its a pleasant enough ditty but nothing extraordinary.

However, I wouldn't damn the album and it's creator on the weaknesses of one, avowedly unrepresentative track.

I mean, if I'd judged Discovery on "Saved By A Bell" I'd probably not have bought it.  Same goes for QE2 and "Conflict".  Fortunately, the rest of both albums was great.
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 11:53

Dunebasher, I will explain how Sailing is a reworking of MS/MITR.  

First, the arrangement.  Strumming guitars in the exact same style.  The drums are identical in texture and style, until the end.  The chorus of Sailing is the exact same notes as the "how's it feel when there's time to remember" section of MITR. Mike's guitar playing is standard pop and nothing like his previous solo's in the other songs.  That is where the similarities break down.  All in all, sailing has the arrangement of MS/MITR, the vocal stylings of HO, and the lyric quality of EM/HO.  I'm not impressed by the lyrics.  They could have been more developed.  

As for praising, you may not change your position when something new comes along.  However, I've been on this group since 1998.  Everytime something commercial comes along, it's completely torn apart until something new comes along and then the previous is praised and the new is torn apart.  It's a consistent cycle amongst this forum.  

And, yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  However, it's really annoying to see a pattern of complaining recycle over each album!  My only complaint with Mike is he doesn't know how to let go of Tubular Bells!
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 12:22

Quote (christopher @ Jan. 15 2014, 16:53)
However, it's really annoying to see a pattern of complaining recycle over each album!  My only complaint with Mike is he doesn't know how to let go of Tubular Bells!

:)  It is a TINY bit ironic using that description, as recycling seems to be at the heart of the complaints!  :D
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 12:23

Quote (christopher @ Jan. 15 2014, 16:53)
However, it's really annoying to see a pattern of complaining recycle over each album!  My only complaint with Mike is he doesn't know how to let go of Tubular Bells!

:)  It is a TINY bit ironic using that description, as recycling seems to be at the heart of the complaints!  :D
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 12:32

Quote (Covenant @ Jan. 15 2014, 17:23)

Looks like you are recycling your posts yourself there!!

:laugh:

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 12:42

Good song though nothing fantastic.

Can't understand why so many on here don't like it due to it having a happy feel and sound to it! But then all tastes in music  differ.

The vocals were quite good, though if Mike has to have vocals, i have always preferred his songs with female vocalists.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 13:34

Thanks Nexus for the link. About the song, well, the last few seconds sound neat.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 13:54

Just heard it for the first time. Wow, very bland and middle of the road. Have higher hopes for the album if only because I'm looking forward to hearing Mike play with a full band again and working with another producer. His music has always been at its best when he collaborates with others. Even if its just one other person like Tom Newman.

Can't say I hear any real resemblance to Moonlight Shadow. MS is a perfectly crafted and constructed pop song. Sailing is utterly forgettable. If I hadn't known it was by Mike I would never have guessed. I suppose the signature guitar sound is there in a few places but its not at all obvious.

Luke Spiller has a decent enough voice. I still find it slightly odd that Mike would choose someone in their 20's to be his voice in what is presumably quite a personal album by the sounds of things. From the outset I thought there was going to be a range of different singers with a few well known names in there.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 14:26

Toby ... one thought Mike may have chosen a young male vocalist is the personal events he's musically reflecting on are when he was Luke's age ? Mike has stated he wanted the vocalist to express in his singing something of the emotion he experienced at the time of these personal events. That's my take on it anyway.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 16:08

Quote (Priabonia @ Jan. 15 2014, 12:32)
Quote (Covenant @ Jan. 15 2014, 17:23)

Looks like you are recycling your posts yourself there!!

:laugh:

LMAO!! Touche :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 17:18

heh this brings me back to 80's! i like it.. happy tune.. but i hope for more darker one.. would be nice with more No Dream moods alike songs :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 17:38

I

L O V E

I T !!!

I like that it's so happy and up-lifting...I can't stop playing it...always a good sign... ;)

and the guitars...trademark Mike...so good to hear Mike playing something new...Luke's voice is fab too, perfect for the song...

Really can't wait for the album, and what is coming next

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 17:57

After listening to the track several times...I happened to move to another room in my house, Classic FM on the radio...amused me to hear 'Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia' by Khachaturian...to those Brits old enough to remember the 1970s, this was the theme tune to a popular program called 'The Onedin Line' ....sailing on a GRAND scale!

Classic FM also played Music of the Spheres once or twice.  Haven't heard it lately though

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2014, 19:55

Interesting to read all your reactions!

However, I will wait for the album to listen to the whole song. I like keeping the surprise.

I also hate when I listen to an album and there's this song that I know more than the rest, it's like an unbalance to the listening.

But I can't wait, that's for sure!
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 01:32

Luke Spiller is a good choice of vocalist.  Speaks of good things to come for this album.  I welcome an opportunity to listen to him on some of the more moody tracks expected from this album.
"Sailing" is intended to be laid back. The song charts its own course, and very much evokes experiences of a calm and sunny day sailing on the ocean.  
There are no crashing or screaming guitars, or any sort of complex musical development.  Quite the opposite.  
It's more pop than rock. Pleasant, but somewhat ordinary too.
Profile PM 
139 replies since Jan. 13 2014, 13:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net